Suppose Maiden reissued their catalogue again...

I have the 95 CDs, 2 5 disc box sets. So these are decent then? I've never heard the 98 ones, are they really that bad? Im not a fan of adding the likes of Sanctuary to the cd.

I don't have them, but from what I understand (you can confirm by referencing the link I posted above) the 1995 Castle reissues used the original U.K. EMI masters. The bonus tracks make the Castles the preferred choice for some. If you have those, you're set, and definitely don't waste even a penny on any subsequent digital remasters.

I just checked on discogs actually, box 1 went for £220 last year, box 2 has never been sold according to them. Aye, I got 'em when they came out, a 12 year old me promised tears if I didn't get them for Christmas. It was my first time hearing quite a few songs too so I have fond memories of the set.

Thing is, it doesn't say 'Castle' on any of the discs so I'm still unsure of what exactly these are.

As far as value goes, it's pretty much nil, I cant find the debut or Powerslave and Box 2 has a sizeable tear.

Ah, I see. Well, aye, thats what I have. Although my 'new' car has a tape deck so I've dusted off the tape collection. All in surprisingly good nick

Saw six of the Castle pressings at my local record store (all except the debut, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, and Live After Death) at a really good price. Picked up two today and will be getting the last four on Friday (also getting one for free). They are pretty much the same as the original EMI/Capitol versions, same master and booklets. Of course the bonus CD makes it worth it, especially if you don't have any of the First Ten Years CDs, since there are several b-sides that didn't make it on Best Of the B-Sides. And even if you do have Best Of the B-Sides, they remastered and brickwalled all those cuts, which isn't the case on these Castle CDs.

the US version of Killers Bonus CD is the only digital version of the 5 track Maiden Japan I think (I stand to be corrected), as the first ten years only had the 4 track UK version of Maiden Japan.

I'll check again tomorrow but I don't think Maiden Japan is on that CD (unless you have a different version).

It should be on it, Twilight zone and Wrathchild is a double A-side and the B-side of Purgatory is Genghis Khan so there would be nothing else to have on the bonus CD, unless the women in uniform b-sides are included, but I think they are on the first album

EDIT: just wikied it, and this is what it says,

1. "Women in Uniform" (originally by Skyhooks) Greg Macainsh 3:07
2. "Invasion" Harris 2:38
3. "Phantom of the Opera" (Live) 6:55
4. "Running Free" (Live) Harris, Di'Anno 3:07
5. "Remember Tomorrow" (Live) Harris, Di'Anno 5:44
6. "Wrathchild" (Live) Harris 2:52
7. "Killers" (Live) Harris, Di'Anno 4:50
8. "Innocent Exile" (Live)

it has no mention at all of Maiden Japan being on the UK press

It should be on it, Twilight zone and Wrathchild is a double A-side and the B-side of Purgatory is Genghis Khan so there would be nothing else to have on the bonus CD, unless the women in uniform b-sides are included, but I think they are on the first album

EDIT: just wikied it, and this is what it says,

1. "Women in Uniform" (originally by Skyhooks) Greg Macainsh 3:07
2. "Invasion" Harris 2:38
3. "Phantom of the Opera" (Live) 6:55
4. "Running Free" (Live) Harris, Di'Anno 3:07
5. "Remember Tomorrow" (Live) Harris, Di'Anno 5:44
6. "Wrathchild" (Live) Harris 2:52
7. "Killers" (Live) Harris, Di'Anno 4:50
8. "Innocent Exile" (Live)

it has no mention at all of Maiden Japan being on the UK press
You're right, just got Killers and that is the track list.

I can't believe TNOTB bonus cd only had two tracks 1. Total Eclipse & 2. Remember Tomorrow live.
Well, that's logical: each 95 reedition featured all the B sides contemporary to the album on disc 1. For NOTB and POM, they released two singles with one B-side each. Contrarily, SOTSS and FOTD, in their '95 edition, are chock-full of B-sides.
As far as I'm concerned, I think this is a better idea (in terms of coherence... and I guess most Maiden are more or less obsessed to some extent ;) ) than what Judas Priest did with their remasters (i.e filling CDs with non-contemporary unreleased or live songs, after albums).

Back