OPETH SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!

I'm voting BWP because it's my least favorite of the three, but I secretly want it to win the game.

I'm going with Deliverance. The outro was the only thing that stopped me from voting for it immediately. (All 3 songs are incredible though)

Deliverance was a comfortable vote for me here. During my listening session at #6, the two Blackwater Park tracks stood out for me. I had my tiers like this, basically:

Blackwater Park/Bleak
Deliverance/The Moor
Windowpane/Face of Melinda

Blackwater Park is a great song, but it is also the only song here that has no clean vocals and thus does not feature every quality that makes Opeth great the way the other two songs do.

Blackwater Park is a great song, but it is also the only song here that has no clean vocals and thus does not feature every quality that makes Opeth great the way the other two songs do.

...but it sets up an atmosphere far more effectively than the other two. The song is simply ominous, and while I love (mostly the end of) Deliverance and most of Bleak, Blackwater Park is the king here.

Blackwater Park has the best climax in any Opeth song and it lasts quite long. I'd say Bleak has the second best one, but it lasts way shorter. That's the main argument it has over Bleak for me.

Deliverance is fantastic, but as I said, I don't think it's in the same tier as the other two.

yi1wT33.jpg

Top 10
Deliverance
04. The Moor
05. Windowpane
06. Face Of Melinda
07. The Drapery Falls
08. Ghost Of Perdition
09. Harlequin Forest
10. The Devil's Orchard

Technically I prefer Bleak, but my appreciation for BWP has grown immensely during this survivor, so I'm rooting for this time.

I like many sections of Bleak, but there are some parts that annoy me (outro) or simply do nothing for me (verses). However, Blackwater Park is a massive ominous sexy song and probably my favorite of the growly Opeth variety. It also has slap bass, which Bleak lacks.

I love the outro on Bleak. It's an awesome psycho moment after that brutal part that ends the song. It's as if they went too heavy and their equipment broke down or something.

Back