Nightwish

Steve talking about nightwish on issue 278 of Metal Hammer. I didn't know he was a BIG Nightwish fan....

tumblr_o02q6hLA4a1rm4bhpo7_1280.jpg

Time to bring Nightwish to North America on a Maiden tour. :edmetal:

"There's heavy stuff, classical, even a bit of Disney - all kinds of shit in there"

This doesn't sound like something Steve would say. Not doubting that he probably did, it's just not like him I think :D

I have no problem believing it... all the more because DPP actually is much easier to get into for an "outsider" than any given Tarja album. At least it was that way for me.

However I really like this kind of public endorsing and I think it's nice of Steve. Even if it weren't true. :bigsmile:

On Sunday evening, the was a program called The Reunion (class reunion). One of the people in this Rock Academy class was Floor Jansen. Check her story. It's in Dutch, but I am sure you'll find it impressive. The presentor follows her before, during and after the Nightwish concert in Tampere, Finland. Interviews her parents, her bandmates Tuomas and Marco, and of course herself! She also talks about her burn out, and the end of her previous band After Forever (in which she was 12 years), which was very painful. The band made a string of very strong albums and it went pretty well. Very emotional (also at the end, because of seeing her parents following her). Enjoy, from the 35th minute.
http://www.npo.nl/de-reunie/20-03-2016/KN_1679674

Last edited:
Since I've been listening to DPP and Imaginaerum a lot these last few days, I must say that - though I still love EFMB - I am somewhat sad about the fact their experimental period seems to be all but over, with Forms being much closer to your "typical Nightwish", whatever that might mean. I guess after Imaginaerum there was really no other place to go, but still... On the other hand, it gives Anette much more unique position in that regard.

Now, I don't say I'm actually all that crazy about Slow, Love, Slow, but it was cool to see them try.

I'm very glad that the cinematic experimentation stuff is done. I think it was a necessary direction during Anette's days because they needed to shift the focus to something other than the vocals. Whether Tuomas likes it or not, they have always been a vocalist-driven band. Anette's voice simply wasn't enough to carry the band, however, so they created a spectacle and, for the most part, it worked.

But now that Floor is on board I hope they go back to just writing damn good songs and forget about "movies" and such.

Very powerful, those two together.

@Zare You really should check out all After Forever albums. Much more interesting music than Nightwish imo. And Floor is doing more with her voice. Same goes for ReVamp (I mean her voice, I do not like ReVamp's music more than most Nightwish).

Here a pro-shot performance from 2007:

Last edited:
I generally stay away from 'symphonic' label but I'll check them out. They sound OK on those clips.
ReVamp seen once on Youtube, did not like them.

Not sure what you imply with symphonic, but I wouldn't call After Forever more symphonic than Nightwish.

Implying that they are labeled as such on Wiki and that made me avoid looking more deeply into their catalogue

Dude... !

Nightwish wiki label (English page):
Symphonic metal
(add some power metal on earlier records)

After Forever wiki label (English page):
Symphonic metal, gothic metal, power metal, progressive metal
(add death, trash and heavy metal)

Don't look at the labels, just listen to albums. That is, if you want to give these bands the same chance. After Forever is many things more than Nightwish, but if there is anything they are not more, then it is the symphonic label.

edit:
The Dutch description is a bit more apt, perhaps:
After Forever was a Dutch metal band with influences from death metal, progressive metal and classical music.

Last edited:
Back