Studio Album #16 - Rumours and Speculation (New Info 27.02.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't have too many epics for me - 10-15 minute pieces with lots of sections and time changes, and long instrumental sections. Epics are one of the things I love most about Maiden.

I only want a double album if they naturally write enough material to fill two CDs (over two hours of music). I'd rather them not force themselves to write a bunch of filler.

I'd quite like to see a double disc concept album. Maybe on the lines of Pink Floyd's The Wall or Judas Priest's Nostradamus. If it is to be their final album, that'd be an epic way to go out.

I've given up wishing for anything on their albums. Ever since SSOASS, my experience of them has been the same: First listen - disappointment. Second listen - pick out a few tracks/bits, but think the rest is weak/filler. Third listen - Hmmm, it's growing on me. Twenty-six years later - still playing them every week.*

So, I have faith in the boys. Whatever they produce I may not like at first, but I know I'll still be playing it when I'm old(er) and grey(er).

(*Except the '90s albums, which never quite rose above the waterline for me).

Generally agree with you 2Mins. The more recent albums, with their longer tracks and more prog tendencies have taken a few listens before the realization, that they are of the highest order, sets in.
I don't expect the new album to revert back to 80's, 8 tracks at around 45 mins, for one moment. They have always written what flows naturally at the time. Not what they think will sell or sound better. One of the many reasons I have great respect for Maiden as a band.

I disagree. I think their epics are better than ever and the fact that there have been so many is awesome.

Not wanting to reopen an old discussion, but I would not call most of Maiden's recent long songs as "epic". The duration is not everything. They are long, but do not contain as much variety as the long songs of the 80s. We've had debated this several times before. I love epic and progressive songs, but I wouldn't mind Maiden being more concise and doing long songs only when they actually got something to say musically. Anyway, there is a general trend in their most recent albums, and I'm very curious to hear if they follow it or step away from that direction.

Not wanting to reopen an old discussion, but I would not call most of Maiden's recent long songs as "epic". The duration is not everything. They are long, but do not contain as much variety as the long songs of the 80s. We've had debated this several times before. I love epic and progressive songs, but I wouldn't mind Maiden being more concise and doing long songs only when they actually got something to say musically. Anyway, there is a general trend in their most recent albums, and I'm very curious to hear if they follow it or step away from that direction.
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better, although I wouldn't say that this happened with all long songs. I especially think -looking at the last two records- that Isle of Avalon, BTATS but also The Legacy and Lord of Light (if that is long enough ;-) are notable exceptions.

Yes, you are right Foro. BTATS and Lord of Light are among my favorite songs of reunion-era, precisely because they show different moods. In these songs, substantial lenght was a necessity.

One thing about Final Frontier that showed they could still surprise was the Satellite 15... intro. If you'd said they would open with a lost-in-space-atmospheric-intro I would have bet my house that it would either be a swoopy/spooky keyboard/strings thing or a proggy/psychedelic guitar thing. Never in a million years would I have predicted the electronic/snare/bass piece that they came up with.

Sooo.... are they getting happier to genuinely experiment as they approach the end of their career? Should we allow ourselves to expect some surprises on #16?

And:

Are we getting happier if they genuinely experiment as they approach the end of their career?

I'd say yes, although that's not easy to know beforehand.

And:

Are we getting happier if they genuinely experiment as they approach the end of their career?

I'd say yes, although that's not easy to know beforehand.

Yes, I am. We'll have 16 Maiden albums. If they go a bit off-piste on the last one, we'll still have the other 15! I wouldn't have put Satellite 15... on an album, but I'm glad they did. The album is great. I wouldn't have put nine long songs on the previous album, but I'm glad they did. The album is great.

I keep wondering if we're going to get Bruce's pre-SIT acoustic songs in a kind of Coda...

I'd rather see them go fully experimental with short songs on their next album, actually. I loved Satellite 15. I dislike the title track, but Satellite 15 is one of my favorite moments on the album.

I'm all for experimentation. Sat15 had good things about it and also bad, but I loved the idea of them experimenting and it was a refreshing way to start the album. Too bad it had to be connected to such a generic dud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back