ZZ Top

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
Did not find a thread doing a search.

One of my favorite bands, just talented as hell. I did not care for Recycler and and a little iffy on Afterburner, but the rest of the catalog is just great. Hope for one more album from them.

I watched the reasonably new documentary ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band From Texas (2019 - Netflix in the US) last night. Incredibly entertaining and informative, it covered the band from it's founding to Eliminator. Semi-similar to Early Days and Live After Death Doc.

What is incredible is that the lineup has been the same for 50 years .. that is just fucking insane

He was a fantastic bass player with some great backing/quasi lead vocals. ZZ is one of the better all time bands IMO. Those 3 guys put out some fantastic bluesy rock albums with an insane amount of "feel"

He was a fantastic bass player with some great backing/quasi lead vocals. ZZ is one of the better all time bands IMO. Those 3 guys put out some fantastic bluesy rock albums with an insane amount of "feel"
Agreed. A lotta classic rock bands sound like them, but there was an insane amount of inspiration and passion behind their music and playing. For my money, Tres Hombres and Eliminator are two of the greatest rock albums of all time. Especially Eliminator. Billy Gibbons guitar tone just kills on there.

Agreed. A lotta classic rock bands sound like them, but there was an insane amount of inspiration and passion behind their music and playing. For my money, Tres Hombres and Eliminator are two of the greatest rock albums of all time. Especially Eliminator. Billy Gibbons guitar tone just kills on there.
I dont think you can go wrong with any of their albums up to and including Eliminator. Afterburner was decent. I did not care for Reclycer. But Rythemeen up to their last album were all good

And making use of some 80's typical synth/keyboards for singles like Sharp Dressed Man, Gimme All Your Lovin' and Rough Boy, along with some other overall well timed production choices during this period, secured their place in U.S rock history for sure. When the 80's entered, they kept up with the times, and adapted, to great success.

On the other hand, when the 80's ended, nobody wanted to hear keyboards in rock music, so they could just cut that part and continue on.

Last edited:
Back