Your Least Favourite Song

A

Anonymous

I really hope this thread hasn't been done before, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

So what Maiden songs do people hate?

I hate Women in Uniform, most songs from No Prayer for the Dying and The Angel and the Gambler.

There's only one song that can take this crown...
The Apparition

Not bad, but still the worst of a good bunch.

I edited the title of this thread for a better understanding of the question. Remember that the Maiden song you dislike the most may be someone else's favourite... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Is there a Maiden song I don't like? Well it actually varies on my mood, the time of the year, how many times I've had sex before, if I have to listen to it in the car on my way to the tax office, if my last update of the IMC was successful, if Charlotte is really a harlot, if Alexander is as great as people say he is, if the mariner is as ancient as Coleridge claims, if I can get from here to eternity, if I'm quick or I'm dead, if the geezer in 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' actually ends up at the end of a rope, if the sabbath is as black as I like it, if Lars Ulrich has finally tuned his drums properly, etc., etc...

Pretty subjective, innit? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Obligatory diplomatic post:

We can all assume that the band have put very big effort into all their songs. Therefore, the average quality is very, very high, and the band wouldn't have recorded and released any of their songs if they wouldn't have thought that it wasn't good.

We can't speak of "bad" songs therefore. We can speak of songs that we don't like- that is a natural thing. There are some songs in the Maiden discography that I don't like as much, even though I appreciate the effort behind it. "Gangland" would be one such case, as would be "The Fallen Angel".

My least favourite song is the Soviet (and now Russian) national anthem.

I must disagree with KadiAmeen and Perun. Any person here has the right to call any Maiden song "shitty" or "bad" if they want. It's all personal opinion. There is no way to absolutely quantify music. If someone thinks a song is bad, then that opinion is correct for them.

If I call a song "bad" while most other people say it is "good", that doesn't prove me wrong. It only shows that in this one case, I have an unusual opinion.

Every time this type of thread starts up, someone comes along to proclaim there are no bad Maiden songs. So it's time for our standard reply:
We are not blindly fanatical Maiden fans here. We each reserve the right to think for ourselves and, if warranted, speak ill of Maiden.

Keep in mind that it's all just opinion here, folks.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Nov 10 2005, 08:36 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Nov 10 2005, 08:36 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Obligatory diplomatic post:

We can all assume that the band have put very big effort into all their songs. Therefore, the average quality is very, very high, and the band wouldn't have recorded and released any of their songs if they wouldn't have thought that it wasn't good.

We can't speak of "bad" songs therefore. We can speak of songs that we don't like- that is a natural thing. There are some songs in the Maiden discography that I don't like as much, even though I appreciate the effort behind it. "Gangland" would be one such case, as would be "The Fallen Angel".
[snapback]122789[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Let's give every noun a definition, and let's forget the point of the topic starter!

Serious or not serious, sometimes I really think this forum is full of nerds.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I was being non-diplomatic (and surely unintelligent). [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'd say my least favourite Maiden song is 'The Apparition'.
I find it dull and dire but I wouldn't go far enough to say I hate it. I don't hate anything, I nothing things. And that my friends, is very special indeed. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Time for another lynching, one song that really grinds my nerves is Brave New World, just the way its sung so repetitavley(No More Lies just about redeems itself although again drums the chrous into you like a hammer drill).

I tend to be of the opinion that nearly every album, by any band, has a song which I don't like. With regard to Iron Maiden, this is not always true. But anyway, for the first album, I have to say that I really dislike Strange World. I love the Killers album and can only express a mild dislike for Prodigal Son, and the same goes for Quest for Fire on PoM. Fast forwarding to the No Prayer album, it would be Public Enema #1, while there are a few on Fear of the Dark that i don't think are particularly good.

As for the X-Factor, it is very low on my list, and in listening to the two most recent albums, Brave New World and Dance of Death, I'm happy to see that the band have got past their midlife crises (confirmed in the "Run to the Hills" book) and are ready to continue with making heavy metal music. Lines like "Should we be fighting at all" sound prosaic, in my opinion. "Como Estais Amigos" is, possibly, my choice for absolute worst song by the band, ever.

The only problem i have with the song "Dance of Death" is the use of one word. The word "pranced" does not belong in an Iron Maiden song, or, frankly, in any heavy metal song.

Despite my opinions, I'm glad to see that there are plenty of people who are fond the songs I disliked. I've been very surprised to see how many Iron Maiden fans like the X-Factor album. I have to admit that the songs sounded great when I heard them live in '97. On the other hand, I am also surprised at the amount of fans that dislike "The Fallen Angel". To me, it is a true rocker, fast and furious.

Definitely "The Apparition" ... it's just BORING as hell, Bruce's singing is montone, the riffs suck - no appeal at all to me. Apart from that song there are a few I find quite weak, but not really "bad".

I dont like many of the blaze songs much....but when sung by Bruce they seem to come to life....so who knows what I might think of them if they played it live..

The Apparition is pretty dull...But my least favourite would be The Assassin....I really think the chorus sounds pretty lame...and the lyrics aint too great...

This is always changing...ask me again in a couple of months and I'll give you a different answer. But right now I'd have to say that 'Wasting Love' is pretty far down on my list. It's not that I have anything against a metal band doing a slow song about love, but this just sounds like Iron Maiden trying to be a cock rock band. The video also makes me ashamed to be an Iron Maiden fan.

There are some songs that just didnt "clicked", yet. And I say "yet", cause there are maaany songs that, at some point, I disliked, such as Gangland, The Duellists, Two Minutes To Midnight and Mother Russia.. but now, I love them! Well, my least favorite Maiden songs nowadays are The Unbeliever (I cant understand the purpose of it), The Angel And The Gambler (chorus repeats 22 times! Harris was drunk when he wrote it) and Weekend Warrior (sounds like Ac/Dc, and I dont like Ac/Dc)...

Well - my least favourite is Drifter. I haven't found the "idea" in the song, yet. But - i have tried the same with Alexander The Great (One of Maidens best now - in my opinion of course), Age Of Innocence and Powerslave. But - it's a matter of taste. With some songs you will love them fast - but others it will take time.
I have only been af Maiden fans since the sommer 2005, so i don't have all albums. I haven't Iron Maiden, No Prayer For The Dying, The X-Factor and Virtual XI. But i'm gonna buy them soon.

(Sorry if the english is bad. I try my best - and that's the reason, i read an english forum. So i can learn better english.)

thousand_suns said:
My least favourite song is Blood Brothers.
Thats quite unbelievable that one of my favourite songs could be the worst Maiden song for someone...

My least favourite song would probably be 'Bring your daughter...to' 

elatihc said:
Thats quite unbelievable that one of my favourite songs could be the worst Maiden song for someone...

My least favourite song would probably be 'Bring your daughter...to' 

'BYD...' is weak, but it works great live; it's got an almost infectious energy about it, especially the crowd participation part.

Weekend Warrior - It just sounds pretty horrible to me.  I can't pin it down, but I just don't like this song.  Same goes for The Apparition, Chains of Misery, and

Bring Your Daughter - Just because I hate the lyrics - call me conservative if you will but they ruin an otherwise good song.

The Angel and the Gambler - The first time I heard this, I thought "This isn't maiden".  That feeling has worn off but I still don't like the song.  It's far too repetitive and lasts too long, and I don't like the sound nor the melody.

That's all I can think of for now.

Feel the paranoia creeping in
Like a cancer eating at the skin

I can´t stand this line, really bad taste. Never thought Maiden could drive to this direction. Just a shame, as i quite like the x-factor (I´m talking about The Unbeliever).

The Angel and the Gambler - Actually a fine song, if it had only 4 minutes or so...

Back