Your first records?

Pand

Ancient Mariner
What was the first album, and the first single, that you ever bought? I'm talking generally here, not just Maiden.

My first album was Terrorvision's "How To Make Friends and Influence People" (on tape). A decent enough album, still gets a play every now and again, although I find a few of the songs are just a bit dull.

First single was "Wait and Bleed" by Slipknot, at the beginning of my short-lived nu-metal phase. Understandably, this hasn't been played for 12 years.

Grade nine (1981-82) was when I dove into music seriously.
Among the earliest buys: AC/DC Back in Black and For Those About to Rock, Rush Exit Stage Left and Moving Pictures, Van Halen Women and Children First

Album Bought: NOTB/BNW (together)
Album Given: Queen Platinum Collection. (I had the odd NOW and random compilations earlier, but none were any that I ever asked for/wanted or remember)
Single Bought: The Trooper (I was just starting to get really into music and a friend and I both bought all 3 formats of the re-release as a "WOO MAIDEN!" type thing, only other I've bought myself was Priest-Night Crawler on vinyl)
Live Album Bought: Maiden - Live at Donnington
DVD: Maiden - Visions of the Beast

First album I bought with my own money was REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity. Moving Pictures was the second, I believe. I think the first (and perhaps only) 45 rpm single I ever bought was "Who's Crying Now" by Journey, with the b-side "Mother Father." I was 10.

Album Bought: Iron Maiden's The Final Frontier
Album Given: AC/DC's Black Ice
Single Bought: Maze's I Wanna Be With You
Live Album Bought: Iron Maiden's Live After Death
DVD: Iron Maiden's En Vivo!

To answer the additional categories a few of you have added:

First album given: Garbage - Version 2.0
Live album: A - Exit Stage Right
DVD: Lightning Bolt - The Power of Salad

The first CD I bought was Greatest Hits by Queen. Which funnily enough also became the first LP I bought a while later, because it had a different track list. I didn't have a record player back then, so I played it on tape on my parent's HiFi for me to listen on my Walkman. Those were the days...

I had all of IM/IM (all jumbled up) on a mix tape from my sister, & had heard FotD, I think. I then got my Dad to buy me NotB on cassette. So that would be my first Maiden album that I bought (or got, to be precise), if I recall. I'm pretty sure Live at Donington 1992 was the first CD I got, as that is the only first-Bruce-era album I don't have on cassette (i.e. why buy it on cassette when you already have it on CD); the rest all got upgraded to CD in the 90's at some point. But that's Maiden. I think the first new album I bought was Nevermind; again on tape. Don't recall singles, as I didn't buy many new; probably Hallowed Be Thy Name (1993, live), the one with Bruce getting speared as the cover. Prior to that, I'd starting picking up quite a lot of the First Ten Years double gatefold singles, but they were second-hand.

Not sure if I should answer this because it features the debut album by an American rapper(!) whom I liked. :)

Queen - I want it all (7" vinyl single, 1989)
Tone Lōc - Lōc-ed After Dark (vinyl LP, 1989)

In 1990 I bought a single by a Dutch dance act (I'll spare you the name), but also an AC/DC single (Moneytalks) and Guns'N'Roses' Appetite for Destruction, all on vinyl.

I guess if you want to be technical. The first album I bought was the record for the America Sings ride at Disney Land

When I was around 8 or 9, I had a collection of various 45's that I played all the time and pretended to be a radio DJ. I never really had a first record or album.

Back