Your favourite Blaze Bayley performance with Maiden?

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
We know that Blaze had a hard time with many songs written for Bruce, and I've seen quite many stating that Bruce destroys some songs written for Blaze. But there are also examples of songs where Blaze really shines on songs written for Bruce. So my question is:

Which song is the one where Blaze sounds best, including all songs he has performed with Maiden (including older songs and covers)?

My own favourites are:

- The Clansman, the version from Virtual XI
- Afraid to shoot strangers
- I also enjoy his singing on the cover of "Doctor Doctor" a lot  :)

It's hard to decide between the first two as both are great songs. But actually I have settled on Afraid To Shoot Strangers. He sings it way better than what Bruce did on the album.

I think Blaze did "Man On the Edge" very well, just as most other tracks from his saga in Maiden, apart from "Lightning Strikes Twice" (he couldn't sing the chorus: the high notes were too demanding on stage).

The one before his time that he did best is imo "Wrathchild". This quick and aggressive way of singing went very well!

From all the Bruce songs I think he did "Fear Of The Dark" best.

I think he did ATSS worse than Bruce did. All versions I heard were off key, including the official b-side (sometimes only one or two syllables, but that's enough to get annoyed about).

Genghis Khan said:
I vote for Virus.  The quiet and the quick parts add to the mood and flow with the music.

I thought the topic meant live performances with Maiden (so no Virus), but perhaps I have misinterpreted it?

If it's live AND studio together, then the whole matter would be totally different for me.

I was thinking about any song performed by Blaze with Maiden ... live, albums, singles, covers, you name it. The only criterium is that it is Blaze singing and Maiden playing.

In this case I HAVE to choose studio material.

Very difficult task!

From TXF:
"Fortunes of War", "Blood On The World's Hands", "2 A.M." & "The Unbeliever"

From Virtual XI:
"Lightning Strikes Twice" comes to mind, and "The Educated Fool" (great singing on both intros!)

But "Virus" is also excellent. I can't choose!  :S

Lightning Strikes Twice? Well, he sings good in the beginning (good guitar as well here), but the chorus destroys the song for me. WAY too high for Blaze. Blood on the world's hands is also a good song where Blaze sings excellent.

Generally I think his performance was better on The X Factor than on Virtual XI, which is surprising when considering that when Virtual XI was recorded, he had already been in the band for years - they should have been able to figure out how to utilize his voice best by then.

Actually, i remember watching an interview with Blaze and Janick to the Viva channel in which Blaze state he felt amazed how Steve wrote the songs that were a challenge to his voice (after the release of Virtual XI).

The clansman is a good example of this. Probably the best song of the album. Great work.

I think the one thing that stands out from Blaze's era at Maiden (for me, at least) is his performance doing Afraid to Shoot Strangers. He sang with passion and he sang with feeling and so gave way to one of Maidens best vid's.

I really like The Clansman, Como Estais Amigos, Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, Futureal, Sign of the Cross, Virus, and Doctor Doctor. If I had to choose only one from the above I'd say Doctor Doctor.

Well, naturally, I think Blaze's original versions of his era songs are generally better than Bruce singing them, but Bruce still does them very well, I dont like Bruce on Sign of the Cross but I do like Bruce's version of The Clansman (as well as Blaze's).
As for B'sides, etc.
Doctor, doctor , Judgement Day, Virus always come to mind.

His versions of Bruce songs I prefer are generally:
Fear of the Dark and Afraid to Shoot Strangers.
His versions of Paul songs I quite like:
Wrathchild, Running Free and Iron Maiden

Powergirl, there ain't no difference between UK, US or any Youtube around ;)

It's merely localized (language and interface), and the servers are probably in that country, which balances heavy traffic intended for central American servers, towards local based servers. Nevertheless, all servers are in collocation network, thus you have same content in any localization variant.

I voted for Virus before... but I'd like to add that Blaze sounds great in songs that are slow, and brooding.  The only exception to this I can think of are "Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger" and "The Clansman", the latter like Natalie said has a lot of emotion.  On the other hand, the fast "Man on the Edge" does not sound as good with Blaze.

GuineaPig said:
that's me!!!

:ok: Keep 'em coming mate. Any chance of some Psycho Motel footage? Assuming any exists. I know theres a little bit of Urchin footage out there (as can be seen on the Early Days and 12 Wasted Years, if I remember right).

Unfortunately, there are no known video bootlegs of Psycho Motel... or at least that I have found.  As for the X Factour, they only supported on one night in England (Birmingham  I think?).

Back