Yax- Waiting For Life To Begin

Yax

Ancient Mariner
Hey guys. Here's a soundcloud stream of my album. It's been finished for like two months really, but I have tweaked this and that ad absurdum, but have finally decided to release it.

https://soundcloud.com/yax90/sets/waiting-for-life-to-begin

I was going do distribute it on iTunes and Spotify etc, but have hit a few speed bumps along the way regarding the distribution, but if anybody would be interested, it's coming your way soon.

8 songs in, cool stuff. Congrats on finishing!

Grooving to Sea of Memories as I type.
Great stuff. Congrats man.

(Ablaze Like Bayley?:D)

Hey Yax!

First of all: congrats with the album! This is cool, to bring out something of yourself.

The sound is good and your guitar playing as well!

I feel that in Sea of Memories things are going a bit wrong when listening to the timing of the playing. I guess it's the accentuating keyboards which are not always in sync with the drums (although the drums are not in sync with themselves either; sometimes hi-hat precedes snare a bit too early). Also the timing of the rhythm guitars at the end isn't that good.

As I type, I hear more songs and the timing is less of an issue as in Sea of Memories, so not a very big deal.

I have one other thing, but this has more to do with my taste. When you play solos 90% of the songs, the solos themselves tend to get less special. Naturally, the solo guitar is what this is all about, but if there would be less, then in the end you might get "more". So on this album I also cherish the moments of relieve, just hearing some roaring rhythm guitar or calmer keyboard part.

But honestly, this is just my opinion, and I do not want to discourage you in your efforts. Best thing is you should do what feels best. This is the path you choose! :ok:

The final guitar region and the synth region had moved in the editing window. I fixed that. Thanks for noticing it, it slipped through.

About the solos - That's just how the style of music is. They replace the vocals (like Satriani) and therefore they will take up a shitload of space. I do though, distinguish between melody lines, verse licks and pure soloing, where the latter tend to be more "noodling" than the rest. I also know what you're saying, which is why I have lone drums playing at times etc and have parts where there are no leads. :)

Check out the closing track! Probably my favorite, for the most part.

Back