• Dio

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Pink Floyd

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
The battle to determine the world's second best band continues.
For more details see here:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-world-cup-of-maidenfans.22590/

We're into the Sweet 16 ladies and gentleman — straight-up, head-to-head, one-on-one matches:

Another intriguing match-up. The greatest prog rock act of all time versus one of the greatest metal voices, lyricists and songwriters of all time.

Which act is your favourite?

(When you vote, please record your pick and state your reasons)

Pink Floyd. I'm not voting against RJD the vocalist, but Dio the band. Not that they're unworthy, but Floyd is Floyd and Dio is not...
It's only quite recently that I have come to think of RJD as the finest rock n roll vocalist to stand behind a microphone, but his strongest material was done prior to the Dio (band) years.

Now this is difficult. Both bands released a few albums I don't like that much.
But there's a difference between not liking that much and disliking. I dislike Dio's nineties outputs Strange Highways and Angry Machines and I can't say I dislike any Pink Floyd album as much as these two.

On the other hand, Dio's greatest songs I enjoy at least as much as Pink Floyd's greatest songs. So I guess this will be decided by the subdivisions and then Floyd slightly wins.... Floyd has a larger bulk of good songs imo.

Pink Floyd it is.

I have to say that the Holy Diver album will always be a strong favourite of mine and as much as I admire RJD and hold his work in high esteem, my vote will go to go Pink Floyd, for me every one of their albums is an epic.

Pink Floyd. My vote goes to them primarily because of David Gilmore and just the sheer genius that are some of their songs (which are even more amazing as live versions). Dio is a fine vocalist, but honestly I'm not that impressed by the work he did as a solo act. It's good, but it doesn't come anywhere close to some of the stuff Pink Floyd put out (honestly, can anything Dio the band put out even remotely compare to Comfortably Numb for instance?).

I like Egypt very much so yes, that one comes to mind. A brooding piece of genius with great build-up and instrumental sections, plus that thrilling guitar melody at the end.

Back