World Cup of Maidenfans 2.0: Round of 32 Match 8

Which is the better artist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dio is the better singer, and he has some fantastic songs spread across his career with multiple bands, there are some real gems amongst the Dio albums.... but based on the work of Dio's solo band only vs GnR, I would take GnR as the more consistent, impressive, and band that has touched me more.

These photos touched me more than their "recent" music (not in a positive way of course).

axl-rose-2013-fat-633.jpg

axl-rose-fat.jpg

Back to the music. I love Appetite. First hard rock album I ever bought. But after that, imo GNR went consistently more downhill than Dio.

More interested in their music than their looks tbh.
Use Your Illusion albums are perhaps not as consistent as AFD, but have higher highs for me. I don't know if I'd say it was a step up, but certainly not a step down. Over the years GNR's music has meant a lot more to me than from Dio's band, whether it's putting me into an upbeat mood or making me collapse in tears, I have connected to it a lot more.

I like the strong songs on the Illusion albums very much. But because of the quantity of lesser stuff I always found it difficult to listen to the complete works. Also, I remember I was very disappointed when these albums came out. A classmate bought them on a stop when we traveled to Rome(!) by bus, in 1991. In that bus I had to catch breath when I heard how they'd handed in their aggression. They still had some of that but I especially didn't like their bluesy and some silly sounding rock and roll stuff. Appetite also had less serious content but it still sounded cool.

In the following years I saw how they turned into a hype, an image. I couldn't connect well to the music. Also, recently when we did a survivor, it still didn't click.

I liked the aggression/energy that is present on AFD, but oddly the tracks I enjoy the least (excluding My World, I'll just pretend that doesn't exist thanks) on UYI are all on the more aggressive side, at least in terms of lyrical tone. Shotgun Blues would be my first example, Perfect Crime was one I really enjoyed when I first heard but I've really gone off over the years. There are some that feel aggressive to me and I enjoy but they are in the minority. All of the long songs on those albums are pure gold though imo - November Rain, Coma, Civil War, Estranged, Breakdown... perfecto!

Looks don't matter when playing a CD.

But looks can say something about someone's health (or behaviour). I wouldn't 'Arry or anyone else in Maiden want to look like Axl, because it might limit Maiden's operations.

I saw Axl live and his voice is pretty good for a 50 year old who plays 3h long shows every night. RiR video for which everyone is mocking him was just a bad day.

Back