Why Judas Priest aren't as popular as Iron Maiden?

I've always wondered why because for me Priest is at par with Maiden in terms of classical albums.
My favourite band is Maiden but I recognize that Judas Priest is at the same level and at some point in history Judas was even more popular than Maiden.

However that seems to have changed since a few decades and it is more evident since the return of Bruce and Adrian to the band.
Maiden have exploded in popularity and gained lots of younger fans whereas Priest seems to be more relegated although still very popular. But they seem to have less younger fans.

Why do you think this has happened? Do Iron Maiden have a better manager? Their albums post 2000 are better than Priest's and have helped them gain new fans? Is Iron Maiden a better band overall?

I don't think it is due to their sound being more appealing because I'd say the contrary is true. Many Priest albums were huge in US because of their radio friendly songs.
So definetely it's not about that.
I want to hear your opinion.

Priest are bigger than Maiden in America sales wise as you say. They had a couple of radio hits which pushed the albums sales

As a live band Halford blew almost everyone away in his prime, and he had the best pipes in metal history.

Management is a factor, also since the reunions Bruce is just as good on stage as the 80’s.

It is rumoured that KK left because of the management situation without discussing details and poor live performances

Rob barely moves on stage, who stares at a teleprompter is a shadow of his former self.

That said the new Priest album is awesome and probably the best album since Defenders Of The Faith.

Richie has great stage presence for Priest and is a natural fit

Maiden’s newer albums are more hit and miss but remain popular, especially as a live band.

Iron Maiden merchandise themselves much better and have become a part of pop culture.
Anyone knows about Iron Maiden even if they never listened any single song and don't even like rock music.
Whereas Judas Priest I am not so sure, they are very popular and anyone who knows rock history even if not a metalhead will know them.
But someone who just listens to Beyoncé and the likes? I doubt it, whereas I am sure that person will know Iron Maiden are a band if you mention the name.

I don't know why this is the case though, and I am trying to find out why.

They're the older band and feel like the previous generation. Until Firepower (imo) everything about them seemed very dated, especially that recorded-in-a-broom-cupboard sound.

Age, lack of live show energy (Halford is a statue on stage compared to Bruce now), and dodgy albums over the last several decades have really hurt Priest. They were legends in their prime, but have really failed to keep the momentum across all of their eras. Maiden has also done a pretty good job of consistently pulling in new younger fans with each of their eras (I credit the Eddie merchandise empire as helping with that).

Last edited:
I don't know the exact answer to that question but after seeing both recently, I did notice more young people at the Maiden concert.
2017 Maiden show: 60% over 45, 40% under 45
2018 Priest show: 75% over 45, 25% under 45

Priest changed their music more radically in all decades. Whatever the motivation (driven by their own or trend) they took more risk and that was not always rewarded.

How to measure popularity? Only by looking at concert audiences? The new Priest album does well and who knows the old Priest albums are also still held high in regard.

Priest have a double platinum album in the US. Maiden still do not have this.

I realize Priest have become less popular than Maiden and several valid reasons were suggested in this topic. Still, Priest have done very well for such an old band. I cherish both bands a lot. Priest mostly for the good part of their discography.
To me they are still the band with the best album ever: Painkiller. And the band with the best A-side ever made (Defenders of the Faith). And the band with the best music from the seventies. No other band has impressed me so much when looking at achievements in these three decades.

I feel blessed that I saw them in 2004. Halford had just returned and he sounded very good and the band was on fire. Not long after, the bending and stiffness started to increase. And the metal live voice became less and less. Glenn caught his disease. Yes, they are old. Do Priest fans still enjoy the concerts they visit, even if a venue is smaller than a Maiden venue? I will find out myself in August. And Maiden twice in July. Performance and setlist are my main ingredients at these gigs.

Last edited:
Priest changed their music more radically in all decades. Whatever the motivation (driven by their own or trend) they took more risk and that was not always rewarded.

How to measure popularity? Only by looking at concert audiences? The new Priest album does well and who knows the old Priest albums are also still held high in regard.

Priest have a double platinum album in the US. Maiden still do not have this.

I realize Priest have become less popular than Maiden and several valid reasons were suggested in this topic. Still, Priest have done very well for such an old band. I cherish both bands a lot. Priest mostly for the good part of their discography.
To me they are still the band with the best album ever: Painkiller. And the band with the best A-side ever made (Defenders of the Faith). And the band with the best music from the seventies. No other band has impressed me so much when looking at achievements in these three decades.

I feel blessed that I saw them in 2004. Halford had just returned and he sounded very good and the band was on fire. Not long after, the bending and stiffness started to increase. And the metal live voice became less and less. Glenn caught his disease. Yes, they are old. Do Priest fans still enjoy the concerts they visit, even if a venue is smaller than a Maiden venue? I will find out myself in August. And Maiden twice in July. Performance and setlist are my main ingredients at these gigs.[/QUOTE]

I saw Priest in DC last month, Rob's voice was amazing. Richie and Andy were awesome on guitar, great solos by Richie.
The setlist was great with many deep cuts. Hopefully Maiden plays some deep cuts too.

Last edited:
T shirts with colourful pictures.

I've always seen Maiden as ambassadors and recruitment. They literally fly the flag for metal music whilst their artworks attract a younger audience.
Priest I see as research and development, changing their style and sound, being more innovative.

Both bands have the HM standard 'survival against the odds' approach but do it in different ways.
Maiden are generally sanguine, upbeat and optimistic whereas Priest tend toward melancholy and fighting on through gritted-teeth. The vocal styles of Dickinson and Halford empathize this with Bruce's over-the-note wail and Rob's gravel 'n' screams.
There are exceptions, of course. X Factor and Turbo for example, and curiously their most recent output.
Book of Souls is quite downbeat while Firepower lacks depth. Priest need at least two(or maybe 3 with Hill) of the 'original' members to create that signature sound. They've lost Rob and KK individually in the past and it was okay. This time Glenn's virtually absent too and it's heard.

So, basically, I think Metallica are the salesmen who get people in the room, Maiden attract further with artwork and sonic accessibility and Priest are more intent listening.

I would not deny it either.

Duh.

I think he is right. Maiden are bigger in the US now.
Priest still has sold more copies because they were more popular in the 80's.

However, surely the popularity gap in the US is much less than in Latin America or Europe.
Here in Latin America it's not even close, Maiden is waay bigger than Priest.
But again, Maiden is huge in Latin America, they're even bigger than Metallica in certain circles.

I see and agree.

But I wanted to accentuate that Priest is still very popular because of some very strong albums.

I am curious which Maiden studio album sold best worldwide. Which Priest studio album sold best worldwide. And which sold the most. ;)

Back