Why I hate Alexander Graham Bell

A

Anonymous

So I was watching "Beast Over Hammersmith" from my Early Days DVD earlier this evening. I had planned to do this all day at work, and when I finally got home very late today (19.15) and having supper very patiently with my parents (hell, I even fixed it!), I went upstairs to my room, and, after taking some time to convince my DVD player to run properly, I started the video.
It all went perfectly fine until mid-"22", when all of the sudden, my mother came in, phone in her hand. Of course, it was as always, she spent some time in my room talking to the person on the other end of the line before handing it to me. It was my brother who wanted to ask me something and apparently tried to strike up a conversation afterwards.
Now, I don't know what part of the setting did not spell out DO NOT DISTURB: Was it the fact that the lights were out and replaced by a single candle, the fact that the volume was turned up more than usual or the fact that I was actually staring at the box, an occasion that occured about five times within the last two months? OK, so I didn't tell my parents not to disturb me, but I thought that sometimes, it's just obvious. Besides that, I was presenting myself completely tired and easily annoyed earlier. So, my mother could have guessed that I'm not really up for any phoning, especially because she knows that I hate phoning to begin with.
My brother of course did not hear from my voice that I was completely annoyed by his call and of course posed the completely superfluous question "am I disturbing you with something?"... and, of course, he was tired too, so he spoke slowly and quietly, stretching the whole thing again.
I hate telephones!
Needless to say, the whole thing pretty much spoiled the atmosphere that had set up, and I wasn't into the rest of the film as before.

Sorry, I had to vent.

No problem mate. I hate phones as well, they bloody well annoy me [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Like when I'm trying to talk to a friend and then they get a text message and reply and it repeats it self again and again. Article 12 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights seems to get more vulnerable every day...

Phone calls can be annoying indeed. I've had similar experiences and it can really drive you mad when you get interrupted right when you're listening to a particularly atmospheric album or putting down the final strokes of a drawing...

It's the same reason why I don't have a mobile phone. People ask me how I can live without one and I say undisturbed. The notion that you should be reachable every minute really annoys me sometimes.

I'll never own a cell phone, unless my job requires me to (like my dad's job, he has to be able to be contacted at any point in time). I don't mind short phone calls at certain points...but many times they are just obtrusive.

But....Bell was a damn Scot.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Oct 12 2005, 11:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Oct 12 2005, 11:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]But....Bell was a damn Scot.
[snapback]120260[/snapback]​
[/quote]

When I was living in Canada, they rubbed it into my face that the telephone was a Canadian invention. And why is the biggest Canadian phone company called "Bell"? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
I know Bell was Scottish-born, but he died in Nova Scotia...

Nova Scotia = New Scotland [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I do like my cell phone. IT's just that. A PHONE. not a mini-camera, not a mobile net explorer, not a game-console, it's a siemens A55, monochrome display and only polipohnics. It has helped me increase my social contacts. PLus, it stops the awkwardness of phoning a girl at home and her dad answering...

I do hate my home phone. Especially cause my grandma likes to phone in at least a couple of times a day just to check out what i'm doiung, even though she lives 5 MINUTES AWAY. And every time she phones i have to get up, and go tehre and listen to her yabbing... god, i hate it ihate it i hate it...

Bell designed and built the first telephones near LC and I, in the village of Baddeck (on Cape Breton Island), where he had a summer home. His permanant residence after emigrating from Scotland was Brantford, Ontario

As for the idea of phones, I think they're a great tool but are overused in our society. I hate talking on the phone for 'fun,' but it comes inhandy when written communication isn't practical.

As for cellphones, I have never felt the need for one. They can be dangerous, and are definately annoying. I know what I think of people who rudely talk on their cells while in a public area, so I'd hate to be "that guy"

It is quite ironic that mobile phones are now used more for their additional features (camera, games, internet etc.) than for telephoning other people. However, it is cool that I have Fear of the Dark as my ringtone, not that anyone else knows what it is when it goes off.

Anyway, although I'm not one of these people who builds their lives around a mobile phone, I would be lost without it, primarily for meeting up with people when outside of my house and for sending quick, short messages.

Like Black Ace, I do have a mobile phone. But it is just a phone. It makes things a lot easier sometimes, like if I'm running late or something. Plus I have a pretty active social life nowadays so it comes in really useful at times. It's got no camera, no videos, no mp3s, no polyphonic ringtones, no built-in egg whisk... just a phone 'cos that's all I need.

Funny how we get by just fine without some frivolous device because we don't know it exists. But when it's discovered oh no, all of a sudden we need it. No wonder why Buddhism teaches us freedom from desire.

Back