Why "Final Frontier"?

bornless1

Messiah Supreme. True Leader of Men.
  Just a thought I was having while listening to the album on the way home from school tonight.  Being that the song Final Frontier is my second least favorite on the album, I'm thinking, did the band need to use IT as the theme and album name?
  Why a space theme.  What else would have been a better theme and name.  What about "Isle of Avalon" as the album Title? with a Celtic Fantasy theme..    Perhaps a Rain and storm fighting swashbuckling Eddie dawning the cover of the new album..."The Talisman"!!      Did it have to be "The Final Frontier"??

Maybe they liked the idea of "the final frontier" not necessarily as a space theme but also as a symbolism that the band is in the twilight of their years, they've done almost everything they wanted and could do... and this is the final frontier for them?

Seriously, I don't know though.

valacirca said:
Maybe they liked the idea of "the final frontier" not necessarily as a space theme but also as a symbolism that the band is in the twilight of their years, they've done almost everything they wanted and could do... and this is the final frontier for them?

srsly idk though

Watch out for Mr. DICKtionary.

what i posted isn't l33t. but i get the point. though i think in the context of my entire post, it's nitpicking a bit.

so are acronyms such as the following also forbidden? idk, tbh, fwiw, lol, rotflmao, ffs... etc etc etc?

Posters are expected to write messages that conform to English grammar to the best of their ability.

We all lapse, but in the more serious forums (read not Madness), we all try the best we can. 

Well at first I thought it might refer to this being it being their last album and tour as a band...I'm glad I was wrong!  But I'm not really a big fan of the album.  By music standards in general, it's amazing.  As far as Maiden standards, for me it just doesn't rank up there with most of their stuff.  To be honest I don't find Isle of Avalon as amazing as everyone else.  Of course I'm saying this and I've listened to it 100 times already....ahhhh fuck it, I love it.  :edmetal:

Wasted CLV said:
We all lapse, but in the more serious forums (read not Madness), we all try the best we can.  
"srsly" and similar textspeak... i have no problem with rules against that (we have to save the vowels from extinction, right? :p)

But acronyms such as the one I've mentioned are universally recognized forms of expression on the internet. "WTF" loses most of its effect when it has to be spelled out, for example. If ever, this will be the first forum I've been on where such acronyms are not allowed and considered "lapses". As far as I'm concerned, it's exactly just like the way we use acronyms to identify the band's songs and albums: WTWWB... SSoaSS... HBTN... etc etc etc

Just saying that I find it odd... but okay.

Its not completely disallowed.  You'll find LOL and the like around.  We just don't want to devolve into posts that are:

"Lol, dude, idk." 

-- you dig?  I'm not trying to beat you up, trust me, I use slang and the like, we just like to do our best.

Wasted CLV said:
Its not completely disallowed.  You'll find LOL and the like around.  We just don't want to devolve into posts that are:

"Lol, dude, idk."   

-- you dig?  I'm not trying to beat you up, trust me, I use slang and the like, we just like to do our best.

Idk wtf u r tlkng abt.  Sorry I had to.  I see an opportunity to be a smart ass and I take it.  Maybe I'm too new for that?  ......... :edmetal:???

I think its a fitting title. Starblind, El Dorado, Sat 15 TFF, Talisman, coming Home all have space and/or exploration themes. 

"...there's probably a bit of mischief there, particularly on Bruce's part, but people are going to think it's either the last album or that we're Trekkies, or both, and it's not like that really. It's just a really strong title."

Taken from an interview in the Summer 2010 issue of UK Metal Hammer. Steve has said similar things in other interviews. The guys just like the title, and there's nothing to read into.

This should have a poll: If you were to choose what song to rename the album after, what would you choose? :)

If an album was named after the strongest track on the album, we'd have a Maiden discography of something like this:

Phantom of the Opera
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Revelations
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Stranger in a Strange Land
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son :eek:
???
Fear of the Dark :eek:
Sign of the Cross
The Clansman
Blood Brothers
Paschefuckingdale
Brighter than a Thousand Suns
Starblind

Some of them would work as album titles, some of them wouldn't.  They usually goes for what sounds good as an album name, and if none of them do, they make up a separate title.

In the mission edititon doc, steve says Bruce came up with the title after the SBIT tour and Steve then wrote the song. So from day 1 that was the title. It's a great title too and every song on the album can work as title track but imo TFF works best.

Hmm.
This album has some epic names, but not title-ish names. Except TFF.
I think Starblind is probably the second best choice.

Back