Who auditioned for Maiden?

BlastBeast

Prowler
Hi guys

I'm sorry to start a new thread, but I could not find my answer with the search option.

I'd like to know if some "known" singers/guitar players/drummers auditioned for Maiden when some band members left.

I know that Phil Collen was a rumor before Adrian Smith joined (is it true, idk).
Who auditioned for Dennis' spot? Paul's? Bruce's? Clive's? Adrian's?

Do you guys have any ideas or info about it?
This seems more interesting for Adrian's or Bruce's spots since Maiden was already famous at that time.

Thanks a lot in advance.

As for Bruce's spot in 1993...

Some of the top contestants out of hundreds:

Doogie White

Steve Grimmet

Andre Matos

James Labrie

....And Blaze of course ;)

Last edited:
Don't know much about Janick's audtion or Smith's, Nicko's etc...But I would think that they weren't as full scale as Bruce's, for Bruce's spot they listened to thousands of tapes of singer and flew guys in from around the world to audition. In the case of Janick, Smith etc ,they were already friends of the band. Bruce invited Janick to audition for Maiden since they already played together in Bruce's solo stuff. Nicko was already a friend of the band as well...

Last edited:
I had the feeling the Nicko and janick did not really auditioned and were introduced by members or Rod. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks a lot for the info :)

Yeah, well I can't be sure but that's kind of how the story has been told :)

Same when Bruce auditioned for replacing Di'Anno, they already knew who he was from Samson, and Rod approached him during some festival and brought him in to play with the guys...And that was it.

Have you seen The Early Days DVD? The documentary on there should answer everything about who came before Paul and how he got the job, all those early Maiden changes are covered there.

I wonder what would have X factor sounded like with Matos or White on singing duties.

I think I would have liked them. I think they would have done better than Blaze on the tours...But Blaze did have that strong, dark voice really suitable for the songs on X-Factor...so I don't know.

I'm sure there was many who thought like you Wizard. I don't wanna think about how many terrible amateur tapes Iron Maiden had to listen to back then :p

I thought we were talking about this:

Iron_Maiden_-_The_Early_Days.jpg

Oh no! I was talking about 12 wasted years, sorry... (not sure if the name is correct though, the one with the hiloarious version on wasted years)
I just read the post i was refering to, and I see my mistake, sorry.
I'll watch this DVD again, thanks a lot.

James Labrie auditioned for Maiden?! Wow. To think, there's a parallel universe where James Labrie is the lead singer of Iron Maiden and John Bush is the lead singer of Metallica. I wouldn't mind visiting that universe.

Back