Which song(s) contain(s) your favourite guitar solo(s) on: 2. Killers

Vote for the song(s) with your favourite guitar solo(s)!

• The Ides Of March

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Wrathchild

• Murders In The Rue Morgue

• Another Life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Genghis Khan

• Innocent Exile

• Killers

• Prodigal Son

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Purgatory

• Drifter

• Twilight Zone

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Sorry guys and gals, I forgot (can you believe it??) to continue with part 2 of this poll!

In case you guys want to know what's going on, please check the opening post of this topic for more details.

Alright here we go: Winner of Maiden's debut album: Phantom of the Opera. This song will go the finals.

Next era: Killers!

(P.S. I couldn't figure out how to re-use the previous topic for a new poll. I could reset the votes, and I can edit the song names, but have no clue how to open it again. In case you guys don't mind, I'll open a new topic for every new album)

Damn, I can't even remember if some of these songs even have solos in them.
I'll listen to the album and then vote.

Shame on you for forgetting BTW.

BTW, what's gonna happen if(more like when) the winning song will have two solos? will we vote for each one seperatly? Or is this poll about the song with the best solos.
It's probably alot of work to put each of the solos by itself on the poll, and also alot of work to listen to each of them when voting.

Mega said:
Shame on you for forgetting BTW.

Yep I know.   :innocent:

Mega said:
BTW, what's gonna happen if(more like when) the winning song will have two solos? will we vote for each one seperatly? Or is this poll about the song with the best solos.

Yes.

Mega said:
It's probably a lot of work to put each of the solos by itself on the poll,...

Yes. But it's also complicated. What parts should be selected? Especially since the term solo can be interpreted so broadly. Maybe we can do this some other time, right now I'd like to find out which songs are appreciated because of the lead work on guitar.

I am not that fond of Adrian's solo in Killers. (it sounds like he's working too hard on it)
However, Dave's rules. It's one of the few solos (or even the only one) that he has always played exactly the same.

I remember Steve said in a 1989 interview that the band recorded two night for Maiden England, and that the sound of Killers came from night A and the images of Dave playing his solo during Killers were from night B!
(Because someone was standing in the way during the filming on night A.)

While watching the edited footage, Dave told Steve that he couldn't notice the difference himself, haha!  :)

Dave's solo in Killers is one of his very best.
Adrian's isn't as goos, sure, but it's still awesome.
And I think I know what you mean about "working too hard". It's just a thing where he plays two notes that have a... difficult interval between them, make it scream a little. I like that.

Dunno, Dave makes it sound easier, while Adrian sounds like he puts 10 times as much effort into it, which makes him imo a less natural player. It sounds worse. He's a worker who has to practice hard to deliver the goods, I guess.

Nothing wrong with that, and in many solos we cannot hear this. A lot of beauties to come still (especially from 1983 and onwards).

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest had the same. K.K. Downing was a natural talent from the beginning but Tipton struggled a bit on the first couple of albums. From 1977 and especially 1978 (Beyond the Realms of Death!) he is "suddenly" twice as good!

edit:
By the way, I don't mean that I don't like Adrian's work on Killers. In fact, I like his work on Killers more than on Beast. Especially his slower work in Genghis Khan & Prodigal Son creates goosebumps.  :notworthy:

Not counting that Glenn picked up the guitar only with 21 years old (although having piano lessons with his mother as a child). K.K. with 16.

I think Adrian's more thoughtful approach makes his solos stick to mind smoothly. Dave's flowing is like no other guitarrist (perhaps only Blackmore and Iommi from what I can remember now), but his solos also stick to mind quite easily 'cos that's his 'natural approach'). If Adrian had sticked to the classic improvisation mode, he never could've shapen up his unique melodic perception. Listen to any bootlegs from 1980 or 1981 when he plays almost all by impro. Most of his solos sounds good, but like any other good guitar player.

Jeffmetal said:
Listen to any bootlegs from 1980 or 1981 when he plays almost all by impro. Most of his solos sounds good, but like any other good guitar player.

I know what you mean but his improvising also might have to do with the fact that he didn't want to copy the Stratton solos. Those "parts" were not his own, he was not present when these songs came out of the shadows.
So, perhaps, because he had a lesser bond with those parts, he didn't have the urge to play them constantly the same.

I don't remember well that he changed his solos from Killers constantly. Do you have an example, I'd like to check it. I have some bootlegs, so you probably don't need to send me (links to) audio content.

I can't believe Dave's solos sometimes. It's just so amazing, there's no fret buzz, no string buzz, no picking sounds, no nothing. Just a stream of notes played ever so smoothly. He's awesome.

Forostar said:
I know what you mean but his improvising also might have to do with the fact that he didn't want to copy the Stratton solos. Those "parts" were not his own, he was not present when these songs came out of the shadows.
So, perhaps, because he had a lesser bond with those parts, he didn't have the urge to play them constantly the same.

I don't remember well that he changed his solos from Killers constantly. Do you have an example, I'd like to check it. I have some bootlegs, so you probably don't need to send me (links to) audio content.

Yeah. He didn't make his own solos for the Stratton's originals at the time, but later on he did for Sanctuary and Phantom Of The Opera (the ones from Live After Death material are much more sticky than Stratton's originals, which are cool too), which were the ones played from the first album which hadn't only harmony parts on the instrumental sections. As for the bootlegs thing, I meant his impro on the debut songs. The songs he originally recorded on Killers he played the same 99% of the times, of course.

Jeffmetal said:
Yeah. He didn't make his own solos for the Stratton's originals at the time, but later on he did for Sanctuary and Phantom Of The Opera.

In the 1981 tour he also created his own subtle touches in Remember Tomorrow. Not his solo but the additions in the calmer parts.

Yeah! Which came out pretty enhancing to the mood of the verses. Dave also does some cool harmonics instead of arpeggiating all the time. He does a different arpeggio on Maiden Japan which came out even better than the original one.

January 29th. Is that too far away? Maybe some people didn't have time to check out these solos and want to do that tomorrow.  :)

Back