• Doug Sampson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nicko McBrain

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Clive Burr

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
Sorry if this comes off as amateur-ish, this is my first attempt at a poll

I feel that all three drummers have their own unique style of playing and I enjoy them all, but who would you prefer out of the three? For me, it's a pretty tight battle between Clive and Nicko. Clive had many highlights on songs such as Genghis Khan, Invaders, The Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, Phantom of the Opera, Prowler, The Ides of March, Wrathchild, and others. Clive has a style for those songs that Nicko can't reproduce live. But on the other hand, Nicko really shines on songs like The Trooper, Where Eagles Dare, Aces High, Back in the Village, Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Caught Somewhere in Time, and many others. My vote would have to go to Nicko  :)

*Makes compilation from old posts*

It depends on what you like about drummers (in Iron Maiden).

I often read that Nicko is not the tightest drummer, live. We also know that he makes mistakes sometimes. If I have to be honest, I think Clive was the more perfect live drummer (making less mistakes and he played more tight). I also think that Clive did the tracks of "his" albums better than Nicko. E.g. Clive played "Wrathchild" (16th notes on hi-hat!) way better than Nicko ever did, and his renditions of "Transylvania" and "Phantom of the Opera" and "Prowler" are unmatched, -the list goes on-. However, I prefer Nicko's interpretations of most NOTB-tracks.

Still, to play super tight is for me not the most important aspect of drumming. Nicko brought more variety to Maiden's music because he can do more different things. That's why I vote for Nicko. Nicko has not only a very quick right foot, but he also has a lot more that makes him a great drummer. He is very complete. He has one of the best ride cymbal techniques.

It's really a treat to listen to Nicko's drums on the whole SIT album. His performance, the sound, everything.
For the rest: the first two albums with Clive are really a pleasure to the ears. A lot of different moments on the debut album. Killers is probably Maiden's least melodic album, but for the rest it's a true rhythm feast. On Beast he does well too, but I find the patterns a bit less challenging, and within the songs he hardly varies his patterns.

Other songs with favourite drum parts that come to mind:
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - esp. the couplets, but I also that hi-hat stuff in the calm atmospheric part.
To Tame A Land - the first part as soon as the rhythm starts, like with SSOASS: those 'toms' do the trick.
LOTLDR - amazing stuff, I certainly can imagine the reason why this song didn't work out too well live.
TETMD (The 'A Real Live One Version' is amazing! Check out Nicko's bass drums!)
Transylvania - Clive's crash-cymbal accents are excellent, and fit the song structure perfectly. Clive really blends with the song.
Prowler - the fast part !
Genghis Khan (the famous gear shift from fast --> slow part)

Back