What unconventional song would you like to see Iron Maiden doing a cover?

mirtilo

Educated Fool
So guys, that's it. What unconventional song would you like to see Iron Maiden doing a cover?

Just for fun.

You have to choose one song. Preferably a current song. Open up your minds and make your choices. Think out of the box.

My vote goes to Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside

Lots of space for guitar improvments and for bass strummings and I think this song fits nice with Bruce's voice.

Again, think out of the box.

I'd like to hear a cover of Pink Floyd's "One of These Days".

The song is centered around a galloping, clanking bass (Pink Floyd used two in their version, but Harris can cover for them both). The Three Amigos can add some fast, wild solos later in the song. I can picture McBrain yelling out the song's sole lyric about halfway through (why McBrain? - I the drummer sang the line in Pink Floyd's version too, and I think McBrain would have fun with it).

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside

That's actually a very interesting idea. Even if all Maiden did was throw a Trooper gallop on it, it would still work.

I'd love to hear Bruce try a genuine soul vocal. Not Motown, Maiden is too white for that - but something like Van Morrison. Maiden might do a mean Moondance.

Simon and Garfunkel's The Boxer, with some vintage guitar harmonies.

Deep Purple "Lady Double Dealer" (which they actually covered in the very early days).

More unconventional: Monty Python "Brave Sir Robin"

Last edited:
Don't mean to be a killjoy bit I have never liked Maiden doing covers of other bands songs.
There are only a few that imo are any good "Cross Eyed Mary" being the best.
The King of Twilight and Rainbow's Gold are decent too.
The covers they did in the 90s are quite bad unfortunately.
If I had to choose a song for them to cover then I would choose anything from Dio's best two albums, Holy Diver and Last in Line.

I'd like to hear a cover of Pink Floyd's "One of These Days".

The song is centered around a galloping, clanking bass (Pink Floyd used two in their version, but Harris can cover for them both). The Three Amigos can add some fast, wild solos later in the song. I can picture McBrain yelling out the song's sole lyric about halfway through (why McBrain? - I the drummer sang the line in Pink Floyd's version too, and I think McBrain would have fun with it).

Or any of big 3 Animals tracks. It's Steve's favourite album, so one can hope :)

None . Their only cover that i can stand is "Cross Eyed mary" , which is absolutely amazing and sounds like a song straight from POM .

Their cover of Doctor Doctor with Blaze sounds like it's their own song.
One of their best covers in my opinion. As good as the original.

I don't think Jethro Tull can be easily covered - Maiden's version of "Cross-Eyed Mary" is so-so, but still better than Helloween's "Locomotive Breath", rather flat (though listenable).
However, listening to Dickinson sharing the stage (the altar? ;) ) with Ian Anderson suggests that, with the voice he has now, Bruce would do a much better job than what he did in 1983.

Or any of big 3 Animals tracks. It's Steve's favourite album, so one can hope :)

I never knew that it was one of his favourite albums, but I can definitely see the influence.

I'd also like to hear the band cover "Heart of the Sunrise" by Yes - it has a good balance between fast, intense segments, and subtle, melodic passages. There are several very prominent bass riffs - they sound great on Chris Squire's Rickenbacker, and I bet they'd sound great on Harris's Fender. Could Dickinson match Jon Anderson's stunning vocal performance?

Back