What is the best song that was never played live by its original performer? (Iron Maiden excluded)

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
The whole ATG debate has got me thinking on what are other band's ATG's?

Judas Priest never played One Shot At Glory live which is arguably one of their best songs.

Bruce Dickinson never played Omega live.

Gojira never played Global Warming live, just once in studio for a video.

Scorpions - Evening Wind; The Sails Of Charon (Even though I'm not a huge fan of it);

Queen - Show Must Go On; Innuendo

Rainbow - Gates Of Babylon

Judas Priest - Nostradamus or One Shot At Gory

Bruce Dickinson - Man Of Sorrows (how is even possible to not play that song).

Fool Like You by Ozzy Osbourne or Thug by ZZ Top. Motörhead's got a few too I think. Only three songs between Aftershock and Bad Magic were played live. Dead and Gone, Asylum Choir, Them Not Me, Crazy Like a Fox, I Don't Believe a Word (I think?), and Blackheart all got shafted in my book. Motörhead were pretty good back in the day about playing a wide selection of stuff though.

Dream Theater - The Best of Times
Gojira - Global Warming

I don't think Zep ever played When the Levee Breaks. I may be wrong though.

I don't think Zep ever played When the Levee Breaks. I may be wrong though.

You are, but it was only played about five times or so, on the first few dates of their '75 tour. There was all sorts of studio trickery to get it to sound the way it did on the album, so it never sounded "right" live.

You are, but it was only played about five times or so, on the first few dates of their '75 tour. There was all sorts of studio trickery to get it to sound the way it did on the album, so it never sounded "right" live.
I was close then. It certainly deserved to be played. I saw Sammy Hagar and the Circle (Jason Bonham on Drums) play it live a couple years ago. It kills!

"A Day In The Life," by The Beatles
[drops mic and struts away in triumph...]

One could list a bunch of Beatles songs here, as they stopped touring in 1966. But...Paul McCartney has subsequently played this and other Beatles classics live.
The Sails Of Charon
Really?? That's surprising. I love that song, and it is one of their early classics, on their first greatest hits disc. Why wouldn't they play it live?
By the way, the promo video is hilarious:

Last edited:
"A Day In The Life," by The Beatles
[drops mic and struts away in triumph...]

One could list a bunch of Beatles songs here, as they stopped touring in 1966. But...Paul McCartney has subsequently played this and other Beatles classics live.

Really?? That's surprising. I love that song, and it is one of their early classics, on their first greatest hits disc. Why wouldn't they play it live?
By the way, the promo video is hilarious:

Yup Sails was never played by the Band although Roth did leave the band shortly after they released Taken By Force so it makes sense since Matthias and Michael weren't fans of playing many Roth era tracks. That being said when I saw Uli a few years back it was a powerhouse along with the other notable epic tracks from that era!

Black Sabbath- St. Vitus Dance, The Thrill of it All, Looking for Today.
Ozzy Osbourne- You Can't Kill Rock n Roll, Now You See it(Now You Don't), Slow Down, Waiting for Darkness
Judas Priest- Raw Deal, Heroes End, Reckless, One Shot at Glory
Deep Purple- Flight of the Rat
Def Leppard- Comin' Under Fire

Back