What guitar do you play?

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
For me, I have a Cort acoustic guitar and a Fender Strat which I bought used. For the Fender I use a VOX AD30VT amp. Not the most expensive stuff, but it sounds nice.

By the way, I am planning to get some pedals for the amp. I just wonder what would be the best way to switch between clean tone and distortion. Should I use a foot switch that can toggle between some user-defined programs in the amp (the user's manual of the amp mentions a switch called WFS 2 or something like that), or should I use an overdrive pedal? Guess it will make a difference in the tone I get out of my speaker.
 

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
Try both. Simple footswitches for toggling amps between their native clean/dirty setting can't cost that much. You might like what you get out of your amp. That's all the guitarist in my band uses. He sounds great with the native distortion from his Mesa-Boogie head. He's got a fancy and expensive effects unit too, but never uses it because it can't beat his amp's tone. Part of the reason for that is because the effects unit puts a lot of noise into the signal; his distortion sounds purer when he lets the amp do the work.
 

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
SinisterMinisterX said:
Try both. Simple footswitches for toggling amps between their native clean/dirty setting can't cost that much. You might like what you get out of your amp.

Well, I settled on the following: Spent small money on a footswitch witch toggles channel A/B and also toggles effects bypass on/off. Works nice. The slightly bigger money was spent on a Dunlop Cry Baby wah-wah pedal  B)

Actually, that wah sounds really great, even when used by an unexperienced player like myself. At first, I was a bit puzzled because when the pedal was on, all I got out of the amp was a really annoying beeping noise. The pitch and volume of the noise changed when I moved the pedal. Can anyone guess what the error was?

The cable from the guitar was plugged into the "Amplifier" port of the pedal and the amplifier to the "Instrument" port ... D'oh!
 

GuineaPig

Ancient Mariner
I use a DS-1 Distortion pedal with my Ibanez GAX 30 and my Marshall 15 watt practice amp.  I can get pretty good sound with this setup, especially now that I've put thicker strings on my guitar that give it a much fuller sound.

I wish i had a cry baby...
 

ohgar_boy

Trooper
Eddies Wingman said:
Well, I settled on the following: Spent small money on a footswitch witch toggles channel A/B and also toggles effects bypass on/off. Works nice. The slightly bigger money was spent on a Dunlop Cry Baby wah-wah pedal  B)

Actually, that wah sounds really great, even when used by an unexperienced player like myself. At first, I was a bit puzzled because when the pedal was on, all I got out of the amp was a really annoying beeping noise. The pitch and volume of the noise changed when I moved the pedal. Can anyone guess what the error was?

The cable from the guitar was plugged into the "Amplifier" port of the pedal and the amplifier to the "Instrument" port ... D'oh!

Hasn't that actually been used as an effect before? I think David Gilmour used it on Echoes...
 

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
Really? I couldn't turn up the sound enough to actually play the guitar without the noise becoming untolerable. I mean, the squeeking noise would be louder than the actual tones from the guitar. Do you have any idea how he managed to do this and still actually play music?
 

ohgar_boy

Trooper
Eddies Wingman said:
Really? I couldn't turn up the sound enough to actually play the guitar without the noise becoming untolerable. I mean, the squeeking noise would be louder than the actual tones from the guitar. Do you have any idea how he managed to do this and still actually play music?

Well, I think we might have used his volume and junk to turn down the sound, but the sound is kind of like... a whale's song. It's just the tone coming in and out.
 
Cool post !

Charvel EVH (red/black/white stripes)
Fender Stratocaster Classic 60 (MIM) with a set of EMG DG-20 pickups
Ibanez JS-1000 BTB
Ibanez RG550XX Roadflare red
 

Zare

Uniformly distributed hostility
Ibanez RG and Jackson Dinky. Using direct recording solution with mixed analog / digital processing. "Offline" playing on Roland MicroCube.
 

Yax

Ancient Mariner
I think it's time to update... I bought this soon 1,5 years ago:

mh-400_2-d6a3b152d29f693c2337191bd5c0a14e.jpg


I absolutely love it. I would have liked slightly more sustain though.
 

rolpol

Invader
Yax said:
I absolutely love it. I would have liked slightly more sustain though.

Nigel: The sustain...listen to it...
Marty: I'm not hearing anything.
Nigel: You would, though, if it were playing, because it really ... it's famous for its sustain...I mean, you could, just hold it....
Marty: Well I mean so you don't....
Nigel: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... You could go and have a bite an'...aaaaaaaaa...you'd still be hearin' that one.


I have a Tele and a nice Tanglewood Tomkat (PRS clone), but hardly ever get chance to play; we moved into a really nice but very tiny flat last year and most of my gear (including my 'goes up to eleven Marshall amp) is still stowed in my parents' loft with my first ever axe ( a really nasty Les Paul copy)....


----------------
Now playing: Helloween - Future World
via FoxyTunes
 

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Since 1999 I have a Jackson, made in Taiwan. Colour: black.

I like the looks and sound of it, and the small* neck.


(*the opposite of broad, not the opposite of big)
 
Last edited:

Zare

Uniformly distributed hostility
Interesting. The fretboard on my Dinky is broader than the Wizard II neck on RG. However, RG has a bit thinner neck (altrough Dinky's also a lot thinner than standard Stratocaster width), larger frets and 24 of'em, so all in all it's a better fretboard to play.
 

Zare

Uniformly distributed hostility
I just got a Digtech Genesis III guitar processor. It can emulate ~ 15 amplifier models, ~ 15 cabinets, it allows user generated modelling of both, full MIDI support, digital output, a lot of options. All effect types, easy control. You can model two pairs of amp+cab, and then preciselly blend it into a final output.

Here's a quick riff of mine, for the sake of demonstration;

http://zare.jezgra.net/misc/riffs.mp3
 
Top