What album did Bruce sound the best on?

I am probably one of the minority when I say that I believe Bruce's voice has actually gotten better with age. So I think he sounds best in the newer albums (Brave New World- The Final Frontier).

However, my personal favorite albums are the stretch from Powerslave to Seventh Son. I love how Bruce sounds on the albums, but some of the live performances I've heard (particularly during the Somewhere in Time tour), he sounds... horrible.

I'd say Number of the Beast through Powerslave. He also sounded damn good in the late 90's, especially live.

His high mid register had more power around 1984-1985, and he applied a better vibrato to my ears back then. Superior, actually. On the other hand, it sometime sounded pretty strained live, while he nowadays seem to stay clear of that by singing those notes in a different way. Moreso, Bruce's grown more consistent live since in general, and the mellow side of his voice is much better now.

So. For me it comes down to Powerslave or Brave New World. I'm not quite sure how to choose between them, as we're talking different styles.

The Number of the Beast and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

He sounded great on Brave New World, too. Also his performance on The Chemical Wedding was fabulous.

snake plissken said:
Seventh Son and Brave New World for me.

Precisely this. Thanks snake!

I do like the earlier stuff, but I think his voice got much more rounded, and just a more pleasing sound on the ear as he got older.

Some of the stuff on his solo work is unbelievable too. It's hard to believe songs like Gods of War and Tears of the Dragon were recorded hot off the heels of Fear of the Dark.

Demigod_Tyek said:
I am probably one of the minority when I say that I believe Bruce's voice has actually gotten better with age. So I think he sounds best in the newer albums (Brave New World- The Final Frontier).

I agree! Since he rejoined his voice is really strong!

No Prayer For The Dying.

No, seriously. I agree with Snake Plissken on SSOASS and Brave New World. The variety in his voice, his ability to portray different emotions - even different persons - reached a peak on SSOASS. And BNW is easily his best 2000s era effort.

I'm going to say that his voice was in his prime during the first 3-4 years with Maiden, "The Number of the Beast", "Piece of Mind" and "Powerslave" probably have the best vocals of any album. To be honest not only he, but the whole band, pushed themselves to far on the "World Slavery Tour" and it really affected his voice in a bad way, that's why some of his live performances were very forced and he stuggled to hit the high notes.

Although he did do an awesome preformance of vocals on "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", he utilized his voice so well, added so much emotion and feel that not many high notes were needed.

To date his best ever vocal performance on an album is the song "communion" off of his second Samson album (Shock Tactics). Damn gorgeous song. If you've never heard it before, look it up on youtube. Its the very last recorded song he did, before starting the recording of The Number of the Beast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kVRdsuIlcI

Brave New World features my favourite Dickinson performance (Thin Line), but he`s really shining on Balls to Picasso and Piece of Mind as well...

Taker said:
Brave New World features my favourite Dickinson performance (Thin Line), but he`s really shining on Balls to Picasso and Piece of Mind as well...

Good to see a positive comment on Balls, an often overlooked album.

Agree with Taker on Piece and both he and Foro on Balls.
Just listening to Change of Heart.  :notworthy:

Back