Video threads

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
So, I just found myself looking for a YouTube link I knew was posted on this board and I had to look in three different threads until I found it.

We currently have the following three threads:

The essential bootlegs?
Iron Maiden video interviews / shows
Iron Maiden News, Links, and interviews

All of which include YouTube links to bootlegs, interviews and other tidbits. If we want to look for video items posted before, we have to go through these three large to very large threads. I want to put this up for discussion, because I don't have any really bright ideas how to deal with this. Do we think this is a problem? Do we want a solution? If so, what should this look like?

I'm thinking one possibility is having a sort of index thread in which we can have links to other posts arranged thematically so that someone looking for something specific would find it in one go. It would be a lot of work to create, though.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something, you might as well go straight to YouTube and look for it there. In that case we can keep things the way they are and use the current threads just to point out certain finds. Nevertheless, in that case I think we could streamline the threads a bit more.

Thoughts?

One thread, no discussion video only, detailed description in the post saying what the video is and where it's from.

Keep the other video threads open for the discussions.

I'm willing to do the donkey work as a public service.

I see differences.

This one,

from 2007 is in use for video footage. Interviews, concert footage, Also audio interviews (often presented as a YouTube video). It was originally meant for old and new footage (all footage). But since the 2nd topic existed, this one mainly evolved into a topic for older stuff (past tours / album eras).

I believe @Brigantium initiated this, somewhere in 2015 perhaps, when The Book of Souls came out, with lots of articles and interviews.

She merged (or requested to merge) several topics that had to do with Maiden news. That's what it is: news, new interviews. When a new album comes out, you get a lot of written interviews, articles, and sometimes video or audio. First I did not like it a lot because I felt interviews (video/sound) belonged well in the other topic as well. Then I realized it was about everything news. So also non video/audio (most of it, in fact). So not long afterwards, I saw the difference and accepted it.

The last one is essential bootlegs, from 2016. The essential bootlegs

Before it existed, it's possible some bootleg vids/audio were posted in topic 1.
But this is also about discussing bootlegs (this is usually about complete or big part of a concert, not just footage from a TV or radio show).
And mostly it is audio only. The topic contains videoclips (with audio) because people wish to show how it sounds.

I really hope each topic can still survive. At least I do not think they are in each others way.

If we wish clear(er) rules:

We could use the 1st for older footage
video: TV shows, interviews, concert footage
audio: interviews (no complete concerts, that would fit better in bootlegs)

We could use the 2nd only for news related items (a new interview / or new music broadcast), written or vid or audio. Although it can be argued that all vids could belong in the same topic, but then new (contemporary) content would get separated (and the point of having a news topic was to have news together or not @Brigantium or was it only meant for articles and written interviews)

We could use the 3rd topic only for audio concerts (bootlegs).

Yes, at some point new material gets old. These topics can only be searched through in a good manner if we write what a video (link) is about. It would be too much work to do this for all previous posts. At the same time, it's worth having a topic in which we can post older footage.
There is still (old recorded) footage appearing for the first time on the internet, and it would be good if we can share it with each other. And say some words about it. I disagree with having a topic in which only links and descriptions are posted (srfc idea). This is a discussion forum where we can point things out and react.

edit: other suggestions in later posts

Last edited:
There is some overlap between 1 and 3. But very little.

The biggest problems are dead links. In the main thread, first half of the page set is pretty much useless. I am always on the hunt for unseen stuff, so much that I tend to cycle these threads at least once every year. The 2007 video thread is 90% dead links before 2011 or so, then the content starts.

We did discuss these issues before? In any case, the influx of new material is so low that I see no problems here. When new tour goes on most of the media, written, video or audio will be non musical and go to the news thread. The rest will be music, which will be in most cases clips for the 2nd thread. Only if we get a streamed concert footage so good, it may end in "essential bootlegs".

However the "essential bootlegs" thread I think should be taken out of disucssion because it's specialized. There is overlap between member threads and video thread. When discussing those topics, someone posts a video, that was posted to video thread. But in a natural discussion. This is same as concept of "essential bootlegs".

We also have a "fuckups thread" that I believe I created but can't find it now.

I edited my post heavily. I wanted to argue that all three have a basic core for existence and did also some suggestions.

There is some overlap between 1 and 3. But very little.

The biggest problems are dead links. In the main thread, first half of the page set is pretty much useless. I am always on the hunt for unseen stuff, so much that I tend to cycle these threads at least once every year. The 2007 video thread is 90% dead links before 2011 or so, then the content starts.
I don't think this should be a problem*. Topic with clips especially serve their goals in the now.
"Hey guys, look I just found this." We cannot help it that some of them become dead links eventually.
90 percent seems grossly exaggerated but even if it isn't: we are not a library with a digital collection that needs to be archived for 50 years.
It's YouTube and their users who are responsible for longevity of videos. We can only archive written things on the long term. We use this topic for reference. For fandom.

* I do admit that I was the first to say to members: "didn't we post this before"? (hello @Kalata with whom I had a discussion)
But now I see that some people have trouble with going through dozens of pages. And: some people don't know how to search. And: some vids can't be found because they had no description (most have though). And: some links are dead indeed.

We did discuss these issues before? In any case, the influx of new material is so low that I see no problems here. When new tour goes on most of the media, written, video or audio will be non musical and go to the news thread. The rest will be music, which will be in most cases clips for the 2nd thread. Only if we get a streamed concert footage so good, it may end in "essential bootlegs".

If this is the best idea to make things more clear: We could indeed use the news topic for written stuff only. If others (e.g. @Brigantium ) agree.
Maiden has so little news in the last years that almost everything could become a topic itself. I wonder what kind of explosion we'll have here when a new album hits us.

edit:
Another idea: it could help if these topics are pinpointed. When they go lower on the topic list, people (especially new) seem to forget these exist and could use the wrong topic, or none at all.

Last edited:
we are not a library with a digital collection that needs to be archived for 50 years.
It's YouTube and their users who are responsible for longevity of videos.

My point exactly. So overthinking where should the video be, when we don't control its availability is not something I'm keen on doing...

If "news, links and interviews" should read as "news; (links, intreviews, etc.)" than we should drop the second part for clarity.
Eg. rename it to "Iron Maiden News thread"

I see differences.

This one,

from 2007 is in use for video footage. Interviews, concert footage, Also audio interviews (often presented as a YouTube video). It was originally meant for old and new footage (all footage). But since the 2nd topic existed, this one mainly evolved into a topic for older stuff (past tours / album eras).

I believe @Brigantium initiated this, somewhere in 2015 perhaps, when The Book of Souls came out, with lots of articles and interviews.

She merged (or requested to merge) several topics that had to do with Maiden news. That's what it is: news, new interviews. When a new album comes out, you get a lot of written interviews, articles, and sometimes video or audio. First I did not like it a lot because I felt interviews (video/sound) belonged well in the other topic as well. Then I realized it was about everything news. So also non video/audio (most of it, in fact). So not long afterwards, I saw the difference and accepted it.

The last one is essential bootlegs, from 2016. The essential bootlegs

Before it existed, it's possible some bootleg vids/audio were posted in topic 1.
But this is also about discussing bootlegs (this is usually about complete or big part of a concert, not just footage from a TV or radio show).
And mostly it is audio only. The topic contains videoclips (with audio) because people wish to show how it sounds.

I really hope each topic can still survive. At least I do not think they are in each others way.

If we wish clear(er) rules:

We could use the 1st for older footage
video: TV shows, interviews, concert footage
audio: interviews (no complete concerts, that would fit better in bootlegs)

We could use the 2nd only for news related items (a new interview / or new music broadcast), written or vid or audio. Although it can be argued that all vids could belong in the same topic, but then new (contemporary) content would get separated (and the point of having a news topic was to have news together or not @Brigantium or was it only meant for articles and written interviews)

We could use the 3rd topic only for audio concerts (bootlegs).

Yes, at some point new material gets old. These topics can only be searched through in a good manner if we write what a video (link) is about. It would be too much work to do this for all previous posts. At the same time, it's worth having a topic in which we can post older footage.
There is still (old recorded) footage appearing for the first time on the internet, and it would be good if we can share it with each other. And say some words about it. I disagree with having a topic in which only links and descriptions are posted (srfc idea). This is a discussion forum where we can point things out and react.

edit: other suggestions in later posts

I'm easy with whatever people feel works best. I might have combined a couple of threads in the past because there was a real outbreak of duplicate threads around the time The Book of Souls came out. I don't quite recall if there was an issue with spoiler and non-spoiler threads too, which may be why there were overlaps.

It's a simple affair for most of visitors I believe.

News thread - news only, with interviews, videos and other media that brings the news.
Video interviews/shows - everything else that gets dug up and posted

Other topics are other topics and if the discussion there is worth having a topic then it may have "duplicated stuff" from the videos/news thread but you really don't want to get stiff about this because a single video might belong in a ton of different threads. Like a band member revealing a historical fact, confirming news about the band, news about his solo project, followed by some discussion about gear. That's 4 or 5 threads there.

Back