Your Maiden blasphemy

“When The Wild Wind Blows” has two awesome instrumental sections, with the first being one of Maiden’s all time best.

Speaking of VXI and BNW, I've always had the opinion that Brave New World is just VXI 2.0. It's better produced and Adrian and Bruce are back on it, but a lot of the songs have the same feel between the two albums. Dream of Mirrors sounds straight up like a VXI song. So does Blood Brothers and the title track. That's not a bad thing, if anything it highlights how good the actual writing on VXI is, and how much better it'd have been with someone to reign Steve in and properly produce it.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum Mr Myles! I dig the avatar! VXI isn't high on my list of favorite Maiden albums, but I still adore it and am happy there's someone here to wave a flag for it.

Speaking of VXI and BNW, I've always had the opinion that Brave New World is just VXI 2.0. It's better produced and Adrian and Bruce are back on it, but a lot of the songs have the same feel between the two albums. Dream of Mirrors sounds straight up like a VXI song. So does Blood Brothers and the title track. That's not a bad thing, if anything it highlights how good the actual writing on VXI is, and how much better it'd have been with someone to reign Steve in and properly produce it.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum Mr Myles! I dig the avatar! VXI isn't high on my list of favorite Maiden albums, but I still adore it and am happy there's someone here to wave a flag for it.
In my rankings VXI is a 5.9 and Brave New World is a 9.6. I hear no similarities and that is a good thing.

I can hear some similarities in some of the song construction, especially Blood Brothers, but I think a lot of it was reworked and improved. And I say that as someone who quite likes VXI.
That's basically all I'm saying. BNW is the superior album, but I think it ties a lot closer to VXI in song structure than most people give it credit for. If VXI was less repetitive, had better production, song ideas from Adrian and Bruce as well as their musical contributions, it would basically just be BNW. And that's not meant to knock it, if anything I like VXI and think it had a lot of great ideas that needed to be refined.

Hullo, I'm a new member. This isn't really an 'unpopular' opinion per-say - but there's really no where else for me to post this presently since apparently I'm not allowed to make threads at this point.

Anyway, whenever I listen to 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', I'm becoming more and more convinced that the song was written when Paul Di'anno was still in the band and the song was meant for his vocal style. The rhythm that the verses are presented in, I can imagine really clearly Di'anno spitting them out. I've never seen anyone else notice or mention this before so I'm not sure if I'm hilariously off the mark here. I'm not a total Maiden expert so I don't know when 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' was officially written and I can't really find a date for it.

I'd like to hear other's responses to this and perhaps I can get some more info on when the song was actually written. Thanks guys and glad to be here!

Hullo, I'm a new member. This isn't really an 'unpopular' opinion per-say - but there's really no where else for me to post this presently since apparently I'm not allowed to make threads at this point.

Anyway, whenever I listen to 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', I'm becoming more and more convinced that the song was written when Paul Di'anno was still in the band and the song was meant for his vocal style. The rhythm that the verses are presented in, I can imagine really clearly Di'anno spitting them out. I've never seen anyone else notice or mention this before so I'm not sure if I'm hilariously off the mark here. I'm not a total Maiden expert so I don't know when 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' was officially written and I can't really find a date for it.

I'd like to hear other's responses to this and perhaps I can get some more info on when the song was actually written. Thanks guys and glad to be here!
Interesting theory, but I'd say that it's highly unlikely.

Anyway, whenever I listen to 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', I'm becoming more and more convinced that the song was written when Paul Di'anno was still in the band and the song was meant for his vocal style.
Hello and welcome!

The thought had never crossed my mind but now that you say it I can hear it. I suppose the best that we will get is seeing Dickinson do it in his Di'Anno outfit of leather trousers and a white frilly shirt on the current tour. There are others more qualified than me to answer this in terms of dates/history but as far as I know, NOTB was all written pretty close to the recording time, like a couple of weeks before recording. It's not inconceivable that Harris already had some idea for the song while Di'Anno was still in the band or that he had a Di'Anno style delivery in mind considering he had worked with the same singer for the past 4 years.
Personally, I don't think Steve would alter a song based on the singer. He has lyrics and a melody and its the singers job to make it work (or not). If it was written in the Di'Anno days he may have thought "Paul will sound great on this" but I doubt that he would alter anything to fit the singer.

Welcome @Osmium! Make yourself at home.

Really interesting take on the song. It's entirely possible that Steve had it in mind for awhile! Bruce, mind you, certainly made it his own.

Yea, at least based on the biographies I read, NotB was a daunting album because they used up all the songs they’d written and had to write from scratch. Doesn’t mean that Steve didn’t have those riffs kicking around thoug.

Back