Your Maiden blasphemy

I agree that Fallen Angel is better than Wicker Man. Opinions diverge otherwise though.

Especially with respect to FotD. I hate Apparition as much as the next guy but have always had a relatively soft spot for Weekend Warrior.

I actually agree with this. For me Piece of Mind suffers as an album by having its best songs all in a row at the start followed by a sequence of relatively poor ones.

I agree whole-heartedly. Side one is perfect, an absolutely flawless work of metal majesty. "Still Life" indicates that side two will be every bit as awesome. It isn't. Still, I like "To Tame A Land" but it's not a good enough closer to redeem the album from it's two proceeding numbers, and has some flaws.

I listened to The Apparition yesterday and I don't really see why so many people dislike it. I certainly take it over Chains of Misery, Weekend Warrior and From Here to Eternity.

I've listened to The Final Frontier again and I maintain it's a bad album. "Satellite 15" has some cool bits to it and is unlike any intro you'd ever expect from Maiden but goes on way too long with far too few changes to be interesting. The title song of which it's conjoined to it might as well be a pop song, it's that lacking in excitement, and even though "El Dorado" has the ability to make you nod your head at first, it suddenly becomes clear to you that it has very little else to reveal. I mean i'm not gonna act like A Matter of Life and Death and the more progressive side of Dance of Death didn't suffer from repetitive choruses at times, and i'll admit (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) that they didn't grab me at first because they just aren't very immediate records. But they have so many interesting layers to them that are fascinating on re-listen. I'm totally okay with a simple meat and potatoes riff though and Maiden generally do those brilliantly. Yet when I want a little bit more immediacy, I didn't expect something this plain (though given the first two shorter tracks on Dance of Death, perhaps I should have). Next we get a two songs that have some good ideas but not enough of them and go absolutely nowhere and in "The Alchemist", another boring meat and potatoes piece of forgettable-ness with a lacklustre singing performance. "Isle of Avalon" is nearly good but once it actually builds to something, it reverts to a verse-chorus structure. Same thing goes for "Mother of Mercy" which has some awesome soloing and feels like it's about to turn into a killer song but then closes with a few minutes of repeating it's chorus more than a gregorian chant. I don't really have much more to say about the next few tracks, but "When the Wild Thing Blows" is pretty good. It's a gradual build that doesn't waste a single note and never feels too repetitive. It's a journey rather than a verse-chorus/quiet-loud structure which is my problem with most of the other songs on the album.

bad album
goes on way too long with far too few changes to be interesting
lacking in excitement
becomes clear to you that it has very little else to reveal
go absolutely nowhere
boring meat and potatoes piece
forgettable-ness with a lacklustre singing performance
nearly good
I don't really have much more to say about the next few tracks
pretty good

I think you need to take a long hard look in the mirror & be truthful with yourself. You really don't like this meat & potato band.

I listened to The Apparition yesterday and I don't really see why so many people dislike it.

I think people doesn't like to take Iron Maiden as a ROCK band. Maybe FOTD is to much rocker for them.

I like all the songs on Fear of the Dark.

It's so strange for me people regarding Virtual XI better than FOTD.

HERE I AM, CAN YOU SEE ME? :shred:

Chains of Misery is great. Sure it's not a typical Maiden song but it's a great tune. Bruce is almost putting a Mustaine-esqe snarl on the vocals in the verses:D

Back