Your Maiden blasphemy

I think Maiden (especially Steve) write in a very specific structure every time. Long song, short song, doesn't really matter. They're all written in a similar fashion. As a result you get very predictable choruses that end up sounding forced. Their best choruses are the ones that aren't obvious chorus. i.e. Isle Of Avalon, Starblind, Dance of Death, or WTWWB. Interestingly enough, 3 of these are from the last album. They really branched out in a lot of ways on that album, chorus writing included. Only Mother of Mercy and the title track had bad choruses imo.

This makes sense to me, actually. The newer choruses really suffer from a tired writing system. The choruses on older albums, however, are often amazing. I'm not sure if it's simply overuse of the same structure or just a lack of clever melody writing, but the newer choruses (especially on the short songs) pale in comparison to the verses.

Mine is that I don't think Somewhere In Time is that good of an album. I've tried to listen to it, multiple times, but it's never clicked. Although, Alexander The Great, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait are great tracks.
:)

Going all the way back to the first post, this would actually be mine too. There's big enthusiasm (I think) for SIT around here, but it just doesn't do much for me. I find it kind of a bit 'busy', too much going on for me to take in, and I just shut off eventually. I'd swap Heaven Can Wait for CSIT or Deja Vu, if I was going to pick three.

Completely agree with the love for Killers and the slight embarrassment of the four of them together during the Trooper. It's a bit too close to synchronised headbanging.

I don't like 95% of Iron Maiden T-shirts. Poor old Eddie being crowbarred into any unlikely scenario that fits a stereotype of the town or country the gig's in. And mostly ending up looking a bit silly and cartoonish. I know it's lighthearted fun, but I'd prefer a shirt that's a bit darker and more sinister. After all, Maiden are fun, but it's still metal.

Completely agree with the love for Killers and the slight embarrassment of the four of them together during the Trooper. It's a bit too close to synchronised headbanging.

I don't like 95% of Iron Maiden T-shirts. Poor old Eddie being crowbarred into any unlikely scenario that fits a stereotype of the town or country the gig's in. And mostly ending up looking a bit silly and cartoonish. I know it's lighthearted fun, but I'd prefer a shirt that's a bit darker and more sinister. After all, Maiden are fun, but it's still metal.

How metal is Eddie and why? Discuss. :p

Metal? I thought Eddie was rotting flesh and splintered bone.
Or do you mean that rivet thing on his forehead?

Maiden had a Cabaret Tour because it was all about classic oldies and it took no less than 3(!) years to make it stop. An unprecedented move in the history of metal, unless you want to talk about Kiss or other non-productive acts who have band members being at least 10 years older than the guys from Maiden.

Indeed harrisdevot, Revelations is quite boring compared to a huge majority of their discography.

Last edited:
Maiden England was awesome. I would've happily seen it twice if it came near me again.

No Prayer for the Dying is a strong album.

Dance of Death is one of Maiden's two least good albums. Virtual XI is the other one, but that opinion is not unpopular.

The Fugitive is more complex than Starblind. Har har.

I really like Dance of Death, I don't know if I've ever mentioned that fact...

Anyway, unpopular Maiden opinions. I can't quite come to terms with a band wearing its own band shirts on stage, although everyone else seems okay with that. A good advert for the merch, I suppose (along with quaffing bottles of Trooper).

Anyway, unpopular Maiden opinions. I can't quite come to terms with a band wearing its own band shirts on stage, although everyone else seems okay with that. A good advert for the merch, I suppose (along with quaffing bottles of Trooper).

The two that don't are the cool ones, the two that sometimes do are in the middle, and the two that always do you'd be happy to take home to meet your mum.

Back