Unpopular Maiden Opinions

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
TXF is the closing of the previous chapter, VXI the beginning of the new one. And Blaze is integral to both.
I don't know...X Factor has a lot of embryonic material that Maiden would later go on to do, and it doesn't continue anything from the previous two Maiden albums. I have to think on this one. Granted, I suppose songs like Fear of the Dark and Afraid to Shoot Strangers are indeed very indicative of what the X Factor would become.

Perun

Dominus et deus
Staff member
X Factor has a lot of embryonic material that Maiden would later go on to do, and it doesn't continue anything from the previous two Maiden albums.

I disagree. There is much on FOTD that foreshadows TXF. Weekend Warrior and Childhood's End, if the vocal tracks were different, would fit rather well in a TXF environment. The individual segments of The Fugitive contain much that would be developed further on TXF. The electric guitar sound and the heavy use of acoustic guitars is something that binds the two albums. FOTD has a deep underlying melancholy that TXF turns into the dominant theme. Overall, I think TXF and FOTD are closer to each other than to VXI and NPFTD respectively.

Zare

Automaton Sovietico
Hm. I see your angle but it's not quite. There's a hard rock aspect to FOTD, 2 singles are straight for MTV. None of that stuff on TXF. The guitar sound is not the same.

The elements of Childhood's End were reused for Judgement of Heaven and The Unbeliever. Verses are the same kind of a beast, while bass/drum groove from CHE's chorus ended in the latter's instrumental section. I don't hear anything from Chains of Misery.

Of course that TXF continues some traditions that were present on the album before. ATSS and FOTD have defined a lot of the structure that Harris used in the songwriting ever since. However the hard rock stuff is replaced with some serious heavy metal like Blood on the World's Hands.

On the TXF-VXI relation, things start to get complicated due to their intentional decisions to tweak the natural process (Nicko's drum sound and arrangements). TXF is, drum wise, miles apart from VXI.

Overall I do not think that TXF is closer to FOTD than FOTD to NPFTD. The early 90s albums feature up beat hard rock stuff and themes while TXF doesn't.

Randalf

Ancient Mariner
The Great Unknown has the best chorus from the reunion era.

Not sure how I personally feel about it when compared to other bigger choruses of the "reunion era", but I definitely agree that it's a good one! Overall, The Great Unknown is just another in the long list of good modern Maiden songs that would sound so much better with more dynamic production and a couple of additional, alternate takes, twists and whatnot. While I feel that The Book of Souls sounds, in many ways, a bit better than TFF, The Great Unknown is definitely hindered by the production and recording approach there. The verses could easily sound a lot heavier, dynamic and more powerful. The chorus could easily soar much more and the transitions would feel much more aggressive with just a little bit of polishing.

But as it is, it's Maiden... and while I've taken these kinds of things to my complaint repertoire, I'm also a bit fond of their style of doing things. As often stated, it - very annoyingly - leaves a lot to be desired and you know and can easily hear that it wouldn't even be that hard to make those small improvements... but if nothing else, there's some odd charm in their stubborn, unpolished and honest way of doing things. Something very direct. And alive.

Not that I wouldn't want different approach, but nonetheless, there's some charm in it. Very, annoying love/hate charm, but it's there.

Then again, it may very well be that I've just accepted that it's not going to change and just trying to make the most positive out of it. :D

Unpopular Opinions:
1. The studio version of Fear Of The Dark is better than any live version (The crowd ruins it when they sing along).
2. Killers is the greatest record that Iron Maiden recorded.
3. I like Sun and Steal a lot.
4. Virtual XI is better than The X Factor.
5. Somewhere In Time is the second weakest album in the classic era (Ahead of Iron Maiden (1980)).
6. Twilight Zone is the second best track on Killers (Aside from Purgatory)
7. The Trooper is not good when it's played live.
8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner and Two Minutes To Midnight are overrated.
9. Killers is better than Iron Maiden (1980) in every way.
10. Knowing that The Mercenary was originally written for Virtual XI, I would be interested in hearing a version with Blaze Bayley on lead vocals.

PieceofMind89

Educated Fool
Unpopular Opinions:
1. Powerslave and Number of the Beast are great albums but overrated.
2. Iron Maiden, Killers and Piece of Mind are underrated albums
3. Quest for Fire is not as bad as some make it out to be.
4. Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time and Killers are the top 3 Maiden Albums

mtmccox

Ancient Mariner
Unpopular Opinions:
1. Powerslave and Number of the Beast are great albums but overrated.
2. Iron Maiden, Killers and Piece of Mind are underrated albums
3. Quest for Fire is not as bad as some make it out to be.
4. Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time and Killers are the top 3 Maiden Albums
Where do you see 7th Son?

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Unpopular Opinions:
1. The studio version of Fear Of The Dark is better than any live version (The crowd ruins it when they sing along).
2. Killers is the greatest record that Iron Maiden recorded.
3. I like Sun and Steal a lot.
4. Virtual XI is better than The X Factor.
5. Somewhere In Time is the second weakest album in the classic era (Ahead of Iron Maiden (1980)).
6. Twilight Zone is the second best track on Killers (Aside from Purgatory)
7. The Trooper is not good when it's played live.
8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner and Two Minutes To Midnight are overrated.
9. Killers is better than Iron Maiden (1980) in every way.
10. Knowing that The Mercenary was originally written for Virtual XI, I would be interested in hearing a version with Blaze Bayley on lead vocals.

SIT second weakest.... Twilight Zone second best.... Trooper not good live... yep, totally unpopular.

Not to mention 1, 2 and 8...

As blasphemous as I can be (but its the truth):

7th Son is not in my top 10 Maiden albums list

(love Moonchild and the Title Track too - both are in my Top 25 Maiden songs of all time)
I can completely understand why you dislike Seventh Son. It is my 4th favorite Maiden album, but it is so different from everything else and has a few synth power ballads. Also, Can I Play With Madness, The Clairvoyant, and The Evil That Men Do are very pop-sounding songs to me.