Unpopular Maiden Opinions

karljant

Ancient Mariner
So let me get this straight... Zeppelin made "a much better variant" of Spirit's tune by adding way more than 2 different notes at each compass? God...

Last edited:

srfc

Ancient Mariner
It´s not a variant... it´s the same riff with a different lick at the 6th and 7th compasses. Better or not it's still copy/ paste.
Running Wild is just an E power chord strummed. It's hardly like Priest invented it. At least Wicker Man adds a c and g.

karljant

Ancient Mariner
Well.. it seems I have found an utterly unsuspectable unpopular "opinion": The Wicker Man's main riff is a blatant rip off of Judas Priest's Running Wild. Oh mine I should really have a grip on my wandering imagination... the far fetched stuff my mind fabricates. :facepalm:

Last edited:

karljant

Ancient Mariner
I think that the Wickerman riff is too close to Running Wild. I don't think I'm in the minority either..
Seems like that makes us two delusional dudes Collin. Nowdays it seems that writting a copy of a well known riff adding 2 notes in the last compass is not "too close" or a "rip off"... it's merely a "variant".

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
Here’s what I didn’t say:

“Wicker Man” and “Running Wild” aren’t similar at all.

Here’s what i did say / will say now:

1. They are similar with the first bit being the same.
2. Wicker Man has the better riff.
3. Wicker Man’s is a variant of Running Wild’s riff.
4. Is it a direct rip-off, a coincidence, or a tribute to Priest? I wouldn’t know.

Collin

Chasing Ponce De Leon's Phantoms
Here’s what I didn’t say:

“Wicker Man” and “Running Wild” aren’t similar at all.

Here’s what i did say / will say now:

1. They are similar with the first bit being the same.
2. Wicker Man has the better riff.
3. Wicker Man’s is a variant of Running Wild’s riff.
4. Is it a direct rip-off, a coincidence, or a tribute to Priest? I wouldn’t know.
Get a guitar and learn it. 90% of it is the same.

Perun

And the world, unheeding, turns
Staff member
Just to add a thought here, it's possible that the Maiden boys don't actually know the Priest song and it's neither a rip-off or a tribute at all. We sometimes assume too much that the artists we listen to are as familiar with each other as we are.

And yes, it's pretty much the same riff. I noticed it the instance I first heard the Priest track.

The Flash

Dennis Wilcock did 9/11
Just to add a thought here, it's possible that the Maiden boys don't actually know the Priest song and it's neither a rip-off or a tribute at all. We sometimes assume too much that the artists we listen to are as familiar with each other as we are.
Highly unlikely that they haven't heard it, imo. NWOBHM came right after Priest, and Maiden were a supporting band for Priest in the early days. Not like it's some obscure song, it's on Killing Machine.

The similarity between the riffs isn't all that noteworthy as far as the fingering hand is concerned, they're as simple and predictable as a pattern can get, that type of overlap happens all the time in heavy metal songs. The eye-catching part is the rhythm with which these similar patterns are played as they're pretty much identical, including the use of palm muting.

Perun

And the world, unheeding, turns
Staff member
Highly unlikely that they haven't heard it, imo. NWOBHM came right after Priest, and Maiden were a supporting band for Priest in the early days. Not like it's some obscure song, it's on Killing Machine.
Yes, maybe Adrian or Bruce or whoever may have heard it at one point, but that doesn't mean they remembered it or it was on their mind in 2000 when Wicker Man was written. Running Wild isn't an obscure track, but it's also hardly top tier, and Priest were not much of an influence on Maiden to begin with. I'm not saying it's impossible that they knew the track or thought of it, I'm just saying it's possible that they didn't.