1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpopular Maiden Opinions

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by THESEVENTHMARINER, Aug 31, 2014.

1. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Completely the opposite for me :D

THESEVENTHMARINER, Diesel 11 and frus like this.
  2. Maiden4Ever

Maiden4Ever Trooper

What about wicker man, ghost of the navigator and brave new world. What an opening for the reunion era.

Black Bart, soundwave and GhostofCain like this.
  3. RueMorgue

RueMorgue Prowler

I always felt that Flight of Icarus was a bit overrated. To me, it just sounds like a kinda tired re-tread of Run To The Hills. It just feels...stodgy, like it never really gathers momentum. Whereas DWYBO I really liked straight away.

4. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

Well for me, I liked both songs right away, only while Icarus has consistently climbed my rankings (currently #37 in my list), DWYBO has ended up slipping down. Still a good song though, just not a personal favorite.

5. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

I don't see any real similarity between the two to be honest, besides their endings.

This is an unpopular opinion of itself but I'd say FOI is actually underrated - and that it is the best track off of Piece Of Mind, though The Trooper gives it competition.

6. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

FOI is like the 7th best track on POM

7. Desdemona

Desdemona Prowler

Well this all reminds me of another unpopular opinion of mine: Revelations is my favorite song from POM

8. Diesel 11

This isn't an unpopular opinion, actually, if the Official Rankings of this site are to be believed. :p

Personally it's my third, possibly fourth least favorite from the album. Good song, but just too un-Maideny for my taste.

Desdemona likes this.
  9. Desdemona

Desdemona Prowler

Whoa, this whole forum surprises me more each day (in a good way). I've never met a Maiden fan irl who thinks Revelations is more than 'ok' in comparison to the rest of the album.

JudasMyGuide and Diesel 11 like this.
  10. Diesel 11

Yeah, this place is weird AF sometimes. :D

11. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

Ooh I've one that'll curdle some peoples blood - I would rank Virtual XI higher as an album than A Matter of Life and Death.

12. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Revelations and Where Eagles Dare, a tie for me.

13. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

As an album to be listened to from start to finish, I agree. Song by song, it might be a different matter (possibly).

14. Diesel 11

It's higher for me as well - and the reason is mostly song by song actually. AMOLAD is stronger but has no standout tracks. Virtual XI is weaker but its standouts are awesome.

15. bornless1

bornless1 Messiah Supreme. True Leader of Men.

Pom is the quintessential maiden album in my opinion. It is the best. Fighting song by song is fine. But the sum of the parts = greatest ever.

Whooten likes this.
  16. Manofsorrows

Manofsorrows I know what i want

For me the best track is the trooper, i know is overplayed but damn...that song is a hymn for the band and metal genre in general

17. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

I love POM... but as much as I love TTAL, I always felt it sounded a bit out of place with the rest of the record. For that reason, POM isn't my absolute favorite (though it's still a marvelous record).

18. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

I think they are "interesting" albums thanks to their flaws, namely:
    -VXI: comparatively little inspiration which induced some repetition (TAATG, DLTTEOAS) and a rather short album (8 songs); drumming not as good as usual
    - AMOLAD: a lot of ideas but, in my opinion, badly executed (BTASS) and excessively stretched and soaked in keyboard layers (instrumental parts of TCDR, FTGGOG which share the same depressing mood that mars TXF); strained vocals
    - Both: comparatively poor openers (I rank them below "Invaders" and "Tailgunner")

That said, it is still Maiden! :) I still like listening to them hopefully, but less than the other thirteen albums.

19. Diesel 11

Well, with Different World, it's certainly a good song, but yeah I rank it below the other two as well. Futureal, however, I'd rank higher than the two you mentioned. Love that song.

20. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

And what about Adrian's solo in DW? I mean, H is my least favourite of all the Musketeers, yet I'd put this one among the best Maiden solos ever anyway...