1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpopular Maiden Opinions

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by THESEVENTHMARINER, Aug 31, 2014.

1. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

I agree. Especially the bridge pickup rythm tone on the Hot Rails strats. Sounds better with the Axcess LP and the 70's Strat, both of which have JB's.

But the worst tone ever has to be H's Download 2007 tone. Thin with no balls and compressed to shit (he was using a Peavey preamp I believe with Marshall 30th anniversary heads).

Iron Brody likes this.
  2. Operations666

Operations666 Educated Fool

Bruce is cooler with short hair.

3. Dagonal

Dagonal Prowler

Currently I agree. I loved his tone on everything before DOD, his tone was probably even my favourite. Since then his tone in the studio has sounded too warm, much warmer than before, and too clean. I did like his tone on TFF however, so that would be the exception I guess.

Iron Brody likes this.
  4. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

Dave sounds so muddy on TBOS. It might be a production issue as well, but Adrian and Janick sound much better. A real shame, because Dave's playing was great.

Dagonal likes this.
  5. Maiden4Ever

Maiden4Ever Trooper

FOTD great album status is gathering momentum!

6. TheTalisman

TheTalisman Fågel

Yes, he should switch equipment. The rack he has been using for a while now propably kills a lot of tone (too much effects). Compare his solo tone on En Vivo to Rock In Rio...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  7. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

I doubt this is a popular opinion, so I'm putting it here:

The Apparition and Judas Be My Guide is the best one-two punch in Maiden history, or if not the absolute best, certainly very high up there.

Welsh Phantom and Operations666 like this.
  8. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Actually he switched JFX's for G-Forces. I'm more surprised that neither H or Dave has tried an Axe Fx II Ultra yet. It is probably the cleanest multi fx unit out there and does amp sims too (if they wanted to recreate SIT tone or SSOASS tone).

9. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

Aww man...

On the one hand, The Apparition does get more hate than it's worth and Judas Be My Guide is a legitimately fantastic track.

On the other hand, The Number Of The Beast / Run To The Hills is a thing (go away anyone who is about to say Powerslave / Rime Of The Ancient Mariner).

10. Diesel 11

SHIT I FORGOT ABOUT THEM. FUCK!

This is why I said "or one of the best at least", because I knew someone would bring up a better one. ;)

Also, regarding Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, the reason I disregard them as a 'double shot' is because they both stand up so well alone that as a pair they don't fit as well as the other two mentioned.

Still, despite TNOTB and RTTH both being better than The Apparition and Judas Be My Guide, and a one-two punch, I'd almost say the latter are still better. Both are around three / four minutes long, and both fit so nicely after each other that I'd almost say they work even better together.

But dammit, now you've really gotten me thinking. ;)

soundwave likes this.
  11. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

Not really. For those of us of a certain age, you had to change the side of the LP2 to listen to Judas Be My Guide right after The Apparition.

12. Diesel 11

Oh right, I forgot that they released the vinyl on two LPs. In that case, going by the CDs, The Apparition and Judas Be My Guide is the best double shot in Maiden history. Going by vinyl, it's The Number of the Beast / Run to the Hills.

There, now I actually feel good about making claims like that. ;)

13. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

Talking about vinyl sides: if you had to keep ONE LP side, which one would it be?
    As far as I'm concerned, Live After Death side 4, without the shadow of a doubt.

14. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

In the entire discography? That's tough. I want to say side 1 of Piece of Mind. Side 1 of Seventh Son is also very strong.

But if you want bang for your buck, it's insane how much music is crammed into side 1 of Powerslave.

Black Bart likes this.
  15. Black Bart

Basically, my n°2 and n°3! ;)

16. Diesel 11

Lemme go through Maiden's albums before you write me down, but I wanna say side 1 of SSOASS. It's got four great songs, all of them are some of the band's best.

Black Bart likes this.
  17. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

That's a good thread idea.

POM vs SSOASS is too close to call for me for the battle of side 1s. They are both awesome. Interestingly enough, they are structured very similarly (frantic opener, big build up rocker, radio ready single, and big anthem).

18. Diesel 11

Since people have brought up POM, I think I'd be a lot more for it were Revelations and DWYBO weren't on it. I like the songs, just compared Eagles and Icarus they drag it down slightly.

Also, I think I've changed my mind, SIT side 1 is the best side in Maiden's history. CSIT, Wasted Years, Sea of Madness, and HCW - two songs in my personal top 10 and two songs in my Top 30. I'm goin' with that one.

Maiden4Ever and soundwave like this.
  19. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

The weird thing for me is that SIT is my favorite album, yet neither side 1 or side 2 would win for me in these "battle threads". I think it's just the flow of the entire album that does it for me.

Diesel 11 likes this.
  20. Black Bart

Done! ;)

soundwave and Diesel 11 like this.