1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpopular Maiden Opinions

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by THESEVENTHMARINER, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

I agree. I love Hallowed, but even without it the band would still most likely be a big force in the metal scene. I mean, they have other great songs, maybe even better songs, like Rime of the Ancient Mariner for example. The world might have missed one of the greatest songs of all time, but it's not crucial to the band's success.

bornless1 likes this.
  2. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Kind of ironic you name-checked Rime as an example of another/better song.

3. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

What? Posting the full song name you mean? Honestly, I think the full name sounds a lot more like 'greatest Maiden song' than just... "Rime". Though maybe you meant something different... :confused:

4. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

I meant: it's lyrics are borrowed (legally this time) too! :D

5. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

Oh, that! :D

Well, forget those two songs then. There are plenty more that would have kept them in the spotlight - Aces High, The Trooper, TNOTB... oh wait, that one did take a verse out of the Bible, nvm then... :p

6. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

Rock was pretty "incestuous" back in the 60s and 70s (and before that) so I consider the Hallowed thing much ado about nothing. Zeppelin, the Stones, The Who, The Beatles etc.. built their early careers off of covers and borrowed ideas. Steve nicked a few lyrics...not the end of the world in my book...though he could have been more transparent about it and given a nod in the liner notes.

The Nomad lifting is actually more eyebrow raising to me.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Mosh and frus like this.
  7. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

Yes, that one is a bit harder to accept.

8. Wogmidget

Wogmidget I rather like the restless nights

Which could explain why it was never played despite all the requests

9. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

Absolutely, but the fact that they put it on the album in the first place? It makes you question how rushed Brave New World actually was. One song being a reworking of a White Spirit-demo, one having large parts completely stolen...

10. THESEVENTHMARINER

THESEVENTHMARINER Ancient Mariner

And three songs were originally written for Virtual XI.

11. TheTalisman

TheTalisman Fågel

Four, actually - Blood Brothers, The Mercenary (which came from a White Spirit demo: "'Till the Kill), Dream of Mirrors and The Nomad.

Blaze Bayley recorded vocals on a demo of Blood Brothers and co-wrote Dream of Mirrors with Gers and Harris (he was paid for this track but left uncredited).

12. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

Perhaps they were written but not finished for Virtual XI. Otherwise, I do not know how the possibly could have chosen the turd featured on Virtual XI over any of them! :lol:

13. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

I also read that The Wicker Man was written by H and Bruce before they rejoined IM (not the Bruce solo song). Possibly with different lyrics.

14. Ruflux

Ruflux Nomad

Wasn't there a theory at one point about No More Lies dating back to the VXI era as well? I believe it was based on Adrian confirming Nomad, Mercenary and Dream of Mirrors as three of the four tracks written during those sessions, but refused to name the fourth for some reason, with the prevailing theory being that he didn't want to admit a song on their latest album is actually already five years old at that point, especially considering it was Steve's epic on the album.

Then again he also said Blood Brothers wasn't one of them, but I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed since then to be a holdover. Maybe he just forgot.

15. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

I think you'd find most of the Virtual XI-songs equally good as the BNW ones if they'd had the same great production, performances, and singer.

I believe that was confirmed?

16. TheTalisman

TheTalisman Fågel

Both Steve and Blaze have confirmed that, so that's correct.

17. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Are you sure? Where did you read it?

18. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

You cannot polish a turd... :lol:

Joking aside, The Clansman is a good song and Futureal is not bad either. The rest is below mediocre.

19. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Lightning Strikes Twice sweeps away the average current line-up song with ease.

TheTalisman and Zare like this.
  20. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

The Educated Fool too.
    So it's not like they stole the best Bayley-era ideas away from him. BNW was probably 'rushed' out of material band members had lying around (and that includes joint efforts while Bayley was still on-board), the vibe around everything was great and the band was probably itching to go to road again.

IMHO the reason why I consider both BNW and DoD to be shitty albums is that I don't feel everyone in the band 100%. That's because this lineup truly clicked with AMOLAD. That includes bringing your best stuff in and putting it for the records sake.

JudasMyGuide likes this.