1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpopular Maiden Opinions

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by THESEVENTHMARINER, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Ruflux

Ruflux Nomad

I dunno, even if it's kinda hard to see Dave and Janick threatening to leave the band over something like this, I think they could have been persuaded into delivering an ultimatum if the whole band's future was on the line.

I mean, realistically it probably didn't happen, and even if it did there's probably a whole bunch of little details that no outsider knows about, but I do still think it's not completely impossible.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Well I said unlikely. :p

Them backing steve in a corner seems unrealistic, but I wouldn't say it's a stretch to imagine them strongly suggesting that Steve bring Bruce back.

In any case, Steve was probably the last person to be on board with the reunion.

3. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Do you remember the old member bio's on IM website? The H one was done by Bruce and clearly stated: "I wouldn't have rejoined if Adrian hadn't rejoined".

4. TAC

TAC Nomad

So that's basically a mutiny scenario, right? I simply cannot believe that's how it went down.

5. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

Wasn't it Dave who was the one who said "to hell with Bruce, we don't need him" after FOTD? I thought I read something where Steve mentioned that it was Dave who flying flag at the time as Steve was drained from his divorce. It's hard to see Dave then say "bring him back or else" a few years later.

Then again, the 90s really did suck for the band, and I recall the guys being pretty pissed off in interviews around Virtual XI (abysmal ratings, spartan turnouts in the States/UK, anemic sales probably all contributed). I still remember those dark days pretty vividly and I thought for sure that the band would fade away at the time (and it's literally amazing to me to see how they completely rebounded...and even eclipse their 80s era popularity).

I agree with Mosh that Steve was t likely he last guy on board with Bruce. Even after the reunion, Steve gave him a relatively wait-and-see restrained welcome.

6. Mosh

I've seen comments like that from Nicko, but not Dave.

7. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

Me too, but I could definitely see it from Rod and record company(es?)

8. Mosh

Yes record company pressure is also possible. It seems Maiden has gotten a lot of leeway in that area but Rod has also always seemed pretty involved.

9. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

Well, any band in their right mind would expect anything from VXI. I mean it is a whole album where the drummer does like 5 rolls. There is so much repetition. Then again the production on TXF was so damn bad. The songs had so little energy in them.
    It was the dropping sales that triggered the whole reunion thing. And it was no miracle that Bruce demanded a real producer....although Kevin just followed Steve..so they still screw up soundwise if you ask me. I remember Bruce saying that he would return only if H did too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  10. WonkyFonk

WonkyFonk Prowler

The poor letters in those sentences don't know where they should be.

11. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

How come no one remembers that Bruce also wanted to return to Maiden? Reading the last page or so, one might think the band begged Bruce to come back, whereas he has said several times before that was getting discouraged by constantly playing in front of 1000 people in small venues.

12. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Let's just say the time was right. Maiden parted their ways with Blaze after a disappointing album. Bruce was gaining popularity as a solo artist. Nicko, Janick (a bowling mate of Bruce since the 80's till today) and Rod probably put some pressure on Steve to get back Bruce. Bruce agrees if they get an external producer and bring back H, which would mean more polished sound. Jan is nervous, because he thinks that the band is going back to the 80's lineup. Steve reassures him that he is a vital part of the band because of his songwriting and that if any guitarist would have to leave it would be H first. Dave smiles and nods through the whole process.

That's how I think that happened.

frus likes this.
  13. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

I don't have my old magazines anymore, but pretty sure that's what they wrote @Mosh, short news message on one of the first pages. Maybe Blaze was already out, and it was about Bruce vs. a completely new singer.
    Goetz Kühnemund would probably know pretty much everything about it.

No, I haven't seen that. There's a contradiction to what Steve said.

14. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

where did you hear that?

It was well documented at the time that it was Steve that asked about H coming back as well.

15. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

I think you are absolutely spot on when it comes to Dave's role in it.

frus likes this.
  16. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

There's a video-interview somewhere where Bruce talks about Dave, along the lines of (paraphrasing): 'Small problems don't bother him much. Major crisis: ask Dave!'
    Pretty sure Dave did share his opinion about a possible reunion with the other ones (maybe even with a smile).

17. TheTalisman

TheTalisman Fågel

The Run to the Hills biography mentions nothing about Dave or Janick, but that Rod and Nicko were trying to persuade Steve to bring Bruce back.
    At the End of the Day (Blaze's biography) implies that Nicko brought a collection of soundboard tapes to convince Steve that he should dismiss Blaze.

One factor which could also have been playing a role was the selling of securities which happened at the same as the reunion - was the value of the back catalogue higher with Bruce in the band? This decision was announced just a couple of days before the the announcement of the reunion was made:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/275760.stm
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/focus-stars-mine-gold-from-rock-of-wages-1100346.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Mosh likes this.
  18. Whooten

Whooten Educated Fool

19. Whooten

Whooten Educated Fool

20. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

Yeah I know. Wrote it while on the run. It should be ok now.