Unpopular Maiden Opinions

Brigantium

Grim Reaper
Staff member
I really like Dance of Death, I don't know if I've ever mentioned that fact...

Anyway, unpopular Maiden opinions. I can't quite come to terms with a band wearing its own band shirts on stage, although everyone else seems okay with that. A good advert for the merch, I suppose (along with quaffing bottles of Trooper).

2Mins

Educated Fool
Anyway, unpopular Maiden opinions. I can't quite come to terms with a band wearing its own band shirts on stage, although everyone else seems okay with that. A good advert for the merch, I suppose (along with quaffing bottles of Trooper).
The two that don't are the cool ones, the two that sometimes do are in the middle, and the two that always do you'd be happy to take home to meet your mum.

Perun

And the world, unheeding, turns
Staff member
Well, lots of people think Kiske should have replaced Bruce instead of Blaze. Because they were signed to the same label back then etc. blabla. I fucking hate Michael Kiske.

2Mins

Educated Fool
I can see how his voice might be seen as a continuation of the '80s Bruce years. And also that, with his high register Maiden may have gone back to the more bombastic, progressive '80s style rather than the stripped-down rock style of the two '90s Bruce albums. BUT, back in '92/93, that kind of metal was dead to most people. Blaze looked like a much better fit.

Curious as to why you hate Kiske so much, did I miss something?

Anyway, off-topic, etc.

Perun

And the world, unheeding, turns
Staff member
Don't get me wrong. You will never hear me denying his skill, but I simply find the sound of his voice itself appalling. I can't really pin it down to anything, I just don't enjoy listening to him.

Mosh

And I should contemplate this change
Staff member
I hate Helloween. Can't stand them. But Michael Kiske would've been a great pick for Maiden. Has the range and talent of Bruce but with his own sound so that he wouldn't have to try and be a Bruce clone. He would've had to cut down on the crazy vibrato though for a lot of the slower songs.

The Flash

Dennis Wilcock did 9/11
I think Blaze was a good pick for Maiden simply because it fit the dark atmosphere of TXF. TXF would be cringeworthy with a higher register singer, I think.

Mosh

And I should contemplate this change
Staff member
Was gonna mention Barlow but then I remembered that awful Hallowed cover. His voice doesn't work for Maiden.

Could be true for Kiske too, but I haven't heard him singing Maiden and I imagine him doing an alright job.