Un-documented live songs (OFFICIAL RELEASES)

Curious what Nicko said about the AMOLAD album - while not being a concept album, war and religion are recurring themes throughout, as well as in the cover artwork.

About ''Prodigal Son'' - I think they've never played it live (the only song from the Killers album)... as Nicko said, they rehearsed it for the 2005 tour.

Btw, I would love another project like Rhythm Of The Beast from Nicko.

Yeah, Prodigal Son was never played live or if it has been played it must have been in the very early days of the band but I don't see them in those days playing an almost all-acoustic song, not sure the song would fit in a set like they used to play. Was it rehearsed for the 2005 tour? I have my doubts about it since Maiden is not the kind of band that play live, songs that haven't been played live before during the album tour (although I was truly surprised they played Charlotte for a few gigs) and Nicko being Nicko not sure he is the most trustable guy

Prodigal Son WAS performed by the band. As a matter of fact, there's a bootleg from the last concert that Dennis Wilcock performed with the band (The Bridge House - April 8, 1978) where the song is performed. The song was also performed during Paul's first concerts between February-March 1979.

Also, the band did plan to play the song during the Early Days Tour in 2005. They even rehearsed it a couple of times but it was dropped because they didn't like how it went down.

They went with Wratchchild instead, right? :p
Not this time. According to my research, the idea was to use Prodigal Son as they used Journeyman during the Dance Of Death World Tour, that means that it would be the first song in the encore, but as most of fans know, in the end they went and played Running Free, Drifter and Sanctuary

Not this time. According to my research, the idea was to use Prodigal Son as they used Journeyman during the Dance Of Death World Tour, that means that it would be the first song in the encore, but as most of fans know, in the end they went and played Running Free, Drifter and Sanctuary

That is a shame. I found the encores on the Early Days tour rather underwhelming to be honest.

That is a shame. I found the encores on the Early Days tour rather underwhelming to be honest.
At least we got the chance to hear a deep cut. Drifter is not everyone’s cup of tea but it is a fun song that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

IMO, I think Maiden‘s encores are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they are outstanding (SBIT) other times they are quite underwhelming (Legacy...)

Being a huge fan of the version on Live +one!! I was over the moon they did Drifter, but it really needed the yo-yo-yo part.

Running Free, Sanctuary and Drifter as the encores was at least authentic to what would have been the encore in the actual early days. Maiden were inauthentic on later nostalgia tours and people disliked that too.

Last edited:
Running Free, Sanctuary and Drifter as the encores was at least authentic to what would have been the encore in the actual early days. They were inauthentic on later nostalgia tours and people disliked that too.
^True (throwing ''Prowler'' there also would have been authentic). The performance of ''Drifter'' during the 2005 tour was not that good imo - the version from BOH is great though. The studio version is awesome too. The song was not played live since 1983 (it was a regular in the setlists in the early days) and it was part of the deep cuts for the 2005 tour (along with ''Another Life'', ''Charlotte The Harlot'', MITRM and maybe ''Prowler'', ''Remember Tomorrow'' and WED).
Besides, it was probably the last chance to get to hear a real "deep cut" performed live by the band
If ''Infinite Dreams'' was played during the ME tour (like it was planned)...;)
IMO, I think Maiden‘s encores are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they are outstanding (SBIT) other times they are quite underwhelming (Legacy...)
My favorite encores are: TBOS tour, TEH tour and WST tour. DOD tour's encore worked great, the one for LOTB tour is good too.

Prodigal Son WAS performed by the band. As a matter of fact, there's a bootleg from the last concert that Dennis Wilcock performed with the band (The Bridge House - April 8, 1978)
That's pretty awesome. Can you say something more about the content and quality of this bootleg - and who actually played on it?

At least we got the chance to hear a deep cut. Drifter is not everyone’s cup of tea but it is a fun song that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

Each to their own. I quite liked the encores on the LOTB tour, although I think their best encores were probably on the Ed Hunter tour.

Back