Two things

A

Anonymous

I'd like to talk about two things in this thread. First of all, I think there should be a commentary forum for discussions about live albums. It doesn't have to be one forum per album, it's enough if there is one forum with one thread per album. I do want to discuss some of the live albums' aspects, but I haven't found a right place to do so yet (the thread in the Best Of/Worst Of Polls forum is hardly a place for objective discussion). That off my heart, here's what I actually wanted to talk about:

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The other musicians are performing like they always do, with an intense energy and professionalism, except maybe Janick Gers whose sloppy solos sometimes offend the older fans – like his butchering of Adrian's solo on 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', for instance (he should stop showboating with his guitar and concentrate a bit more on what he's doing!). [/quote]

This is from the Commentary on Rock In Rio.
Now, I really don't like the way Janick plays the solo on Hallowed, but there are some things I have to say about this comment.
I don't think Janick's soloing is "sloppy". In fact, his playing, particularly on Hallowed, seems very considered to me. What Janick is doing here is that he is trying out something new. Those who complain about such radical changes or experiments are usually also those who complain about stagnation in the band's development. I can hardly blame Janick for experimenting with some of the guitar parts he is playing. To me, Janick shows some characteristics which are extraordinary and important:
-Courage (experimenting with one of the most popular guitar solos on one of Maiden's most important tours)
-Progressive spirit (the will to move Maiden forward and not let them stick with what they've done before)

His onstage presence and behaviour may not be everyone's cup of tea, but as far as I am concerned, his prancing and showboating does not negatively affect his guitar playing. In fact, when I watched Rock In Rio, I got the impression that Janick is actually very concentrated on his playing, and in my opinion, his playing on the album is outstanding.

Discuss! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Two good points. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

For the live albums, it could be envisaged to open a thread within the existing studio album threads (e.g., Poweslave for Live After Death or Brave New World for Rock In Rio). Only an idea...

Concening Janick's guitar playing, I must admit that I am not always being very objective. I simply don't like most of his solos, althought there are indeed some good ones and I certainly do not deny his talent as a composer. To me, the way he plays sounds quite messy and I'm sure that his behaviour on stage affects his gig. Maybe somebody like Lib could shed more light about his technique...

That's all I can say... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Creating a thread for each live album in the appropriate studio album forum is sufficient, I'd say. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

As for your thoughts on Janick, I can understand them, but I'd still prefer a more objective (or, if you like, politically correct) comment. That is, of course, just my personal preference, and if nobody else has complained about this during the time the RiR commentary was online, I guess my opinion is standing a bit alone out there.

I never received any comment about this particular part of the Rock In Rio commentary. No "I agree", and no "you're a c*nt" either.

Maybe this thread will trigger some [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My opinion about Janick's solos is that they’re a part of the Maiden sound and of its evolution. His playing has itself evolved between No Prayer and Dance of Death.

In fact, Janick is almost the exactly opposite of Adrian in terms of playing. And it's normal that the Adrian's fans don't like Janick.

Janick's style often makes me think of Blackmore's style - remember that he has played with Ian Gillan - and listening to Blackmore's playing (in Live in particular) is a good way to understand and appreciate Janick. Listen to the solo of 'Fear is the Key' ! I've heard somewhere that it was elected "worst solo" or something like this... Those people certainly don’t know anything about what MUSIC is !

Playing solos that aren’t yours is always a problem : you have to respect the former solo, but don’t forget to have your own touch. Some solos can be changed and some can’t. For example*, on ‘The Evil that Men do’ Janick plays the whole solo exactly like Adrian, on ‘The Trooper’ he takes some Adrian’s elements and plays also his own things, and on other songs, he doesn’t care of what Adrian did and plays what he wants.

Everyone is different and we all have our opinion : which solo is important ? which one has to be like the album version and which one can be changed ? Janick don’t thing that the solo on ‘Hallowed’ is really essential. And I agree whith him.
Why Adrian doesn’t play it anymore ? That is the question..

About his attitude on stage, I can’t imagine if he was static and only looking at his guitar neck all the time, like I can’t imagine Adrian running everywhere on stage. I don't think it's affect his guitar playing, but how many guitars were broken by kids who wanted to do the same things ? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

--------
* From Live at Donnigton. Now, this two solos are played both by Adrian and Janick.

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Mar 2 2005, 03:50 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Mar 2 2005, 03:50 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I never received any comment about this particular part of the Rock In Rio commentary. No "I agree", and no "you're a c*nt" either.

Maybe this thread will trigger some  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]98934[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I'm quite happy to contribute the first one: Maverick, you're a GREAT MUSICIAN! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Mar 2 2005, 01:40 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Mar 2 2005, 01:40 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]

Why Adrian doesn’t play it anymore ? That is the question..

[snapback]98939[/snapback]​
[/quote]
pfft, because he finally admited he is no god, people need to wake up and admit they follow a false prophet, the anti-'Arry. But do not worry heathens, 'Arry though infinately just, He is also infinately merciful, repent and He will pardon. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I think Janick is a great riff writer, but his playing (both rhythm and lead) is very sloppy. I have a boot from '95, and he just destroys the main riff of 2 Minutes To Midnight (in a very BAD way). In the studio, he's not bad, but live, I agree that his "showmanship" greatly hinders his playing. You can also tell that he gets mixed down on RiR when he's not playing a lead or if he's the only guitarist playing.

If you want a good show, let the guys free to do what they like !

They have to offer their own personnality.

And since some songs are recurrent on the Maiden sets, I'd rather have some originality.

Thanks, Lib, your post was brilliant !

Cheers

"Why Adrian doesn’t play it anymore ? That is the question"

As long as H can play his solos in NOTB and 2 Minutes, he will stay happy! [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I think Janick's stage antics have made Maiden shows better, at least since the reunion*. H and Davey can handle the musical end of things - Janick tries (and often succeeds) in making the show entertaining from a visual point of view. Only the most hardcore, small-minded musicians get off on watching guys stand around and play the songs, without acting out their excitement.

I don't think Janick's behavior is any more outrageous than Steve or Bruce. The only difference is that Steve and Bruce have always been crazy on stage. When Janick came along, it was something different - and we all know that change of any sort is something that some people just don't like.

* I don't mean that the shows suffered during H's absence. I simply didn't see Maiden live during that decade, so I refrain from judgement.

How about adding a space after your punctuation (as the rule dictates) and making smaller blocks of text so people would actually read what you write? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Apr 15 2005, 03:59 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Apr 15 2005, 03:59 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Only the most hardcore, small-minded musicians get off on watching guys stand around and play the songs, without acting out their excitement.

I don't think Janick's behavior is any more outrageous than Steve or Bruce.
[/quote]

Is that a compliment, or an insult, I cannot tell. [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

And actually the difference between Steve and Jan is that he doesn't let his "showing" get in the way of his playing.

[!--QuoteBegin-metalboyken+Jun 23 2005, 09:55 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(metalboyken @ Jun 23 2005, 09:55 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]you guys are all so close minded!!

h and davy worschipping people!
I think jannich should  get  some morerespect
[snapback]109589[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Everyone deserves more respect [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Everyone deserves more cowbell [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I just have two words for you:

Adrian Smith

[!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Jun 26 2005, 03:28 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Jun 26 2005, 03:28 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Everyone deserves more cowbell  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]109916[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I'm going for president and my goal is cowbell for everyone!!!

[!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Jul 3 2005, 11:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 3 2005, 11:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm going for president and my goal is cowbell for everyone!!!
[snapback]110880[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Too bad you either didn't register or didn't log in. Now we have no idea who you are, and won't be able to vote for you.

But if any politician ever geniunely promised MORE COWBELL!, they'd get my vote. I don't care what the rest of their platform is...

1. Abolish free speech
2. Nuke every other country on earth at least once
3. Drill for oil in my backyard
4. Brand all newborn babies with swastikas
5. MORE COWBELL!

Good enough for me, ya got my vote.

Back