Two ˝secrets˝ I found in Maiden`s songs

Lovro

Invader
I haven`t seen these mentioned in the commentary, so here it goes:

On the first disc of the BBC archives, if you listen closely to track 11 (The Prisoner), between 1:08 and 1:13 you`ll hear ´Understanding-standing reckon the number of the´. I let you to think how it got there

The Unbeliever-If you listen to the song after 8:04, you`ll hear someone talking. I don`t know what he says, but you could find out.

I found more stuff, but i forgot them. Please reply, I`m interested whether you knew this or not.

On the first disc of the BBC archives, if you listen closely to track 11 (The Prisoner), between 1:08 and 1:13 you`ll hear ´Understanding-standing reckon the number of the´. I let you to think how it got there

I don't own the BBC archives, but generally speaking, the "Understanding-standing reckon the number of the" dialogue you speak of sounds like the dialogue deliberately placed before the song "Number of the Beast".

I don't know what the following track is, but if it's "Number of The Beast" that pretty much covers what the dialogue is with.

Onhell said:
You have failed me for the last time! :down:

:huh:

I know that that`s before TNOTB, but Phantom Of The Opera,Hallowed Be Thy Name and Iron Maiden were played afterwards.

Oh yeah!!! I remembered. Regarding the A Real Live Dead One CD I have, there are two cool things I found. On the song list, all songs have their composers noted, except for Sanctuary, where it just says Iron Maiden as the composer.

The second one is, when you look at the back picture, you`ll see that Steve looks quite strange. His hair is reddish ( which could be because of the light), but his bass is red. Now, I`ve never seen him playing a red bass, and the pictures inside show him mostly with his checkerd bass, but never red

Here`s the pic

http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/pictures/ ... dead_b.jpg

A lot of Maiden releases list "Iron Maiden" as the composer of Sanctuary.  Where on the Commentary I believe it is attributed to Harris/Di'Anno/Murray, it may certainly be more accurate to use the term "Iron Maiden".  Like many of the early songs (notably Ides of March), many of the band's very early members contributed in many various ways to the evolution of songs.  Who knows how many people actually contributed to Sanctuary over time...?

Lovro said:
On the song list, all songs have their composers noted, except for Sanctuary, where it just says Iron Maiden as the composer.
Every version I have of Sanctuary has Iron Maiden as the composer - it only seemed to be recently (Best of the Beast on) it is credited as just Harris/DiAnno/Murray. I do remember having the single on a 12" EP and that had the whole band as the composer.

EDIT: LC Beat me to it.

Lovro said:
The Unbeliever-If you listen to the song after 8:04, you`ll hear someone talking. I don`t know what he says, but you could find out.
Something along the lines of:

"that's the one .... yeah, that's it, let's go listen"

Nothing earth-shattering.

Albie said:
I do remember having the single on a 12" EP and that had the whole band as the composer.

Correct, just checked it. Indeed, only "Best of the Beast" has another credit, as far as I can find out.

Im fairly sure that Rod or someone mentioned once somewhere that they actually nicked one of the songs from another band! Im fairly sure it was Sanctuary, and thus why it is not credited to any particular member. I believe the story went that they bought the rights to the song off whoever owned it. Ill try and find where I read this.

EDIT: I found it!
Taken from the "Metal for Muthas" CD sleeve:
Metal for Muthas said:
"Ironically, (and this is a little known fact!), Maiden's 'Sanctuary' was actually penned by Praying Mantis guitarist Rob Angelo during his pre-Mantis stint with the band, but he was persuaded to sell the rights to the tune for mere £300. In 1980, Angelo told Sounds magazine: "I'm flattered that a song I wrote in my bedroom six years ago has got into the Top 30. I got a good stereo out of the royalties, I don't consider I was ripped off". Wonder if he still feels the same way now?!"

There you have it, Im inclined to believe this tale, seeing as Maiden appear to sometimes credit the song just to "Iron Maiden". Or perhaps Paul, Dave and Steve were the ones who paid for it? Who knows?

Ok, so they didnt quite "nick the song from another band", but that was how I remembered it. Lucky I found my copy of Metal for Muthas.

Keep in mind that "official" songwriting credits on albums are there for legal purposes. It indicates who gets the royalties. It doesn't always indicate who really wrote the song. "Sanctuary" is a good example. Another example are the three songs from TNOTB which Bruce helped write (CotD, Prisoner, RTTH) where Bruce couldn't be listed as a writer for legal reasons.

Another famous example is Lennon/McCartney. By contract, from the very start of their careers, any songs that either one wrote for the Beatles got credited to both. While they did collaborate on many songs, there are many others with no collaboration. For instance, Paul McCartney wrote "Blackbird" by himself, but Lennon still got credit and royalties from it. I think (not 100% sure) that Jagger/Richards have a similar deal with Stones songs.

^I thought after all this time Ive stayed around here, I may was well have an avatar.

I need not proclaim H's awesomeness, the mere sight of him does that. Anyway, as much the Smith fan I am, I don't like shouting about it except to other fellow Smith fans (barring posting my fanpages off myspace again and again and again.......and constantly offering to random people my H collection  :bigsmile:)

SinisterMinisterX said:
Keep in mind that "official" songwriting credits on albums are there for legal purposes. It indicates who gets the royalties. It doesn't always indicate who really wrote the song. "Sanctuary" is a good example. Another example are the three songs from TNOTB which Bruce helped write (CotD, Prisoner, RTTH) where Bruce couldn't be listed as a writer for legal reasons.

Another famous example is Lennon/McCartney. By contract, from the very start of their careers, any songs that either one wrote for the Beatles got credited to both. While they did collaborate on many songs, there are many others with no collaboration. For instance, Paul McCartney wrote "Blackbird" by himself, but Lennon still got credit and royalties from it. I think (not 100% sure) that Jagger/Richards have a similar deal with Stones songs.

Ah, yes, but what I was getting at (if that was indeed aimed at me) was that the reason its either "Iron Maiden" or Di'Anno/Murray/Harris is because they are the ones who own the royalties for the song. When Angelo mentions "royalties", I think hes just referring to that 300 quid.
In other words, I concur with you.

SinisterMinisterX said:

What legal reasons would prevent someone from getting credited for their work?

Onhell said:
What legal reasons would prevent someone from getting credited for their work?
I seem to recall something about this when Number of the Beast came out - it was something to do with Bruce still having some form of contract/agreement with Samson and/or Samson's record label that meant he could not get credited for any songs on the album and/or have any input other than lending his vocals. My memory of this is a bit vague as it was over 25 years ago I read something along these lines.

it's pretty noticeable but at the start of A Real Dead One you can hear someone talking over the intro tape for The Number Of The Beast, making comments in between Vincent Price's lines.

I think Mick Wall might have mentioned something about it too.  I know I've read it in a couple different places.

Back