Twentynineteen - 40 years of Maiden

John Silver

Electric Buddy
Rod, it's time to make big bucks. In one year, in november 2019, The Soundhouse Tapes has its 40th anniversary. It's time to convince 'Arry to let go of his pride now and put it out to the wide world.
(Sorry @Niall Kielt this will probably decrease the value of your treasure, wink.)

Why are Maiden so poor at handling their archives? I mean, what neat little releases of archival stuff has seen the light of day since Eddie's Archive in 2002.
The 40th anniversary would be ideal for a magnum release of their very first release.
They could continue in 2020 with the first record and the relevant b-sides and some live recordings from the vaults.
This could continue for quite a few years and celebrate the bands final active years.

Any thoughts, ideas etc welcome.
Thanks and goodnight buddies.

well, we know they have footage and audio from several tours that never saw an official release but since they don't possess (or claim too) the full show, they disregard it. I know they have material from No Prayer, Somewhere in Time and AMOLAD.... they've admitted it to one, have released B side audio of another and it'd be ridiculous to not have anything from the third

I think they are sitting on a lot of this stuff for when Maiden retire. I also think that there isn’t much in the vault prior to the mid-90s, which is where a lot of the interest lies.

But isn't it time for an anniversary release of The Soundhouse Tapes?
Or is that one kept from a wide scale release because no Bruce?
I know it's only 4 songs, but the value in terms of Iron Maiden history is immense, or maybe not. Maybe start in 2022 with a Legacy release of The Number of the Beast.

And the archival release state of Maiden is just abysmal.
Why can't there be live releases like say Deep Purple's official bootleg releases?

With 5-6 years between every official release there would be a market wouldn't there.
Even for the reunion era stuff, of which there should be plenty.

Rod, it's time to make big bucks. In one year, in november 2019, The Soundhouse Tapes has its 40th anniversary. It's time to convince 'Arry to let go of his pride now and put it out to the wide world.
(Sorry @Niall Kielt this will probably decrease the value of your treasure, wink.)

Why are Maiden so poor at handling their archives? I mean, what neat little releases of archival stuff has seen the light of day since Eddie's Archive in 2002.
The 40th anniversary would be ideal for a magnum release of their very first release.
They could continue in 2020 with the first record and the relevant b-sides and some live recordings from the vaults.
This could continue for quite a few years and celebrate the bands final active years.

Any thoughts, ideas etc welcome.
Thanks and goodnight buddies.
That would be lovely - and it's 40 years next month since the demo was recorded - but I doubt it's gonna happen. Re-releasing The Soundhouse Tapes, or the entire Spaceward demo would inevitably bring the Paul Cairns question again, they should either continue pretending he was never on that record or have a sudden revelation, losing face and money. (Yes, they did release all four songs in 1996 but it was a very limited edition.) Also, any record featuring Prowler might be a problem right now. With all the recent events involving Dennis Willcock, any official release of live or rehearsed material featuring him seems extremely unlikely, unfortunately. So probably the most we could hope for is a decent 1981 Japan live release, 1983, 1986, and, perhaps, the Axe Attack version of Running Free. And of course post-80s stuff but I'm not interested in that at all.

^, and there's been rumours of management buying out rare early bootlegs from the owners, and there's been rumours that it's not to release them, now or ever.
I think they are sitting on a lot of this stuff for when Maiden retire. I also think that there isn’t much in the vault prior to the mid-90s, which is where a lot of the interest lies.

Thank you for your input, buddy. I see your point and it stands as a great explanation to those not in the know.

Maiden Japan, as a full release, would be an extremely nice start to an archival bootleg/live series, so agreement all the way there.

There is a very decent recording from 1990 which could be deserving of a such archival release, in my mind it is their last good show/bootleg/gig, so I would at least be interested in that one.

^, and there's been rumours of management buying out rare early bootlegs from the owners, and there's been rumours that it's not to release them, now or ever.
I believe it. Are you talking about some of the Maiden 77 stuff? Those boots don’t make the band look good.

I believe it. Are you talking about some of the Maiden 77 stuff? Those boots don’t make the band look good.
They're a part of their history, and I'd happily buy an official release. And they sound pretty decent to me (from the very small excerpts I've heard), underground 70s East End scene.

I would too, but from the band’s perspective I don’t think it’s worth releasing. The performances are really rough and they add fuel to the idea that Maiden left a bunch of writers uncredited on the albums. It would only have a niche appeal anyway.

If the guys can solve the legal issues, I think Soundhose tape could be rereleased on Record Store Day

Reading an article in Planet Rock here. New interview with Steve focussing on the early days. The article says Cairns played on The Soundhouse Tapes, simply states it as fact, no big deal. Theres no quote from Steve in relation to Cairns but interesting that its written as common knowledge or undisputed fact.
@johnsilver I dont think any future release will devalue my treasure, I dont think most people really but things like The Soundhouse Tapes just to listen to them. Although if the price does start to fall then I'll sell at a ridiculous price to any interested gullible fools on here, no problem.

What's this gibberish, buddy
giphy.gif

Back