Tournament Of Short Songs: Phase 1, Round 33

Vote for 1 or 2 of your FAVORITE songs:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
You can find the rules, list of songs and YouTube playlist of all songs in this thread.
I'll also put a link for each new round there and the thread is stickied so that it's easier to find.

Anaal Nathrakh - A Metaphor For The Dead
Bad Religion - American Jesus
Candlemass - Emperor Of The Void
Linkin Park - Papercut
Rammstein - Sonne

Quite a varied round. There's black metal, punk, doom metal, nu metal and industrial metal.

Anaal Nathrakh - whenever I mention this band in chat, I get the comments about the name, so to get it out of the way:
"Their name comes from the spell Merlin utters in the movie Excalibur, which starts with "Anaal Nathrakh...". This spell is called the "Charm of Making". Given Michael Everson's transcription, "Anaal Nathrakh" means "serpent's breath"."
Anyway, this song might be their softest and most melodic, so that's why I picked it. Considering they are one of my favorite bands lately, I had to have them in the game :) First vote goes to this song.

Bad Religion - It's catchy, but kinda too happy and repetitive... Monotone drums.

Candlemass - Most people here are kinda prejudiced when it comes to doom because it's usually slow and plodding, but this song is anything but. Great vocals and guitars, quite Sabbatish.

Linkin Park - One the two LP songs that I can listen to without cringing (the other one is In The End) :p IMO LP work the best when the couplets are all rapping and choruses are rapping + singing. Chester's clean vocals are way too whiny to carry a whole song.

Rammstein - Sonne is one of Rammstein's best songs. Epic chorus. And the second vote goes to this song.

I've never read 'Anaal Nathrakh' as 'anal', but then Excalibur is easily one of my favourite films.

It's a long time since I listened to any Linkin Park. I remember liking quite a few songs, then just getting bored round about the time of their third album.

Back