ToolVivor Results

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This looks like a finals poll :bigsmile:

H, 46&2, Ticks and Leeches, DRT and I can't bring myself to vote out another song. I thought I'd vote Pushit sometime soon but it really grew on me.
May I also add that Lateralus feels so different now than before we started this. I wrote I think in round 2 how AEnima is about middle-way between Undertow and Lateralus but I seriously underestimated the disparity between them. It's like listening to NotB and then to AMOLAD, the lack of aggression feels so strange after hearing a song like Sober, hard to believe it's the same band.
A vote for 46&2 is a very brave vote.

This the first round when I don't actually want to use all my votes, but I need to do it to defend my unpopular personal favorites.

I voted for:

Eulogy
H
46&2
Pushit
The Patient

Am I the only one who likes Ticks and Leeches?

Nope, I dig it too. I can't say I want to see it make it through 'til the end, but it's pretty safe from me for the time being.

My votes:

Eulogy
H.
Pushit
The Patient
D/R/T - I love "Disposition", but not super keen on the others so it didn't seem right to save it based on only liking one third.

Voted for everything left on Ænima minus the “title” track and the chromosome song, as well as Ticks. Lateralus is so far ahead of Ænima as an album that it’s not even funny.

I couldn’t vote for D/R/T yet, but if I had a sixth vote I probably would have. I’m not a huge fan of Disposition, but I like the other parts.
I wrote I think in round 2 how AEnima is about middle-way between Undertow and Lateralus but I seriously underestimated the disparity between them. It's like listening to NotB and then to AMOLAD, the lack of aggression feels so strange after hearing a song like Sober, hard to believe it's the same band.

It really is a huge difference. The songs on Lateralus are far more mature compositions, both musically and lyrically. While we’re on the subject, I actually think that Fear Inoculum is much closer in style to Lateralus than 10,000 Days is, which is odd.
Am I the only one who likes Ticks and Leeches?

I like it, but it’s the only song on Lateralus that still contains “Angry Maynard” from previous albums, and thus I consider it the weakest track on the album (if we’re counting the ending trilogy as one song). It doesn’t fit the theme of the rest of the album, either.

I listened two times and will vote after the third.
It's funny that I always associated Tool with the sound that apparently 10000 days possesses while Lateralus was the only album I heard (and multiple times)! I listened to Pot and Vicarious maybe one time before...

I actually prefer the aggressive musical sound of 10,000 Days because it's heavy and groovy, while also being more straightforward than Lateralus. The vocal mixing on half of the songs is absolute trash, but the songs themselves are more consistent. I think the first 5 tracks is probably the most solid run in Tool's discography. Unfortunately, the second half of the albums sucks (with the exception of Right in Two).

How do I choose? I liked 10,000 Days a lot, and this doesn't help considering Lateralus and AEnema are even better...
Boredom Trilogy (thanks for the phrase Knickerbocker :okok:)
Intension I like but it feels less important than the other songs on the album
46&2
H
And RIght in Two also doesn't grab me as much as for example Wings.

Now I want to ask you: Do the votes for Rosetta Stoned come from a dislike or from having to choose? I know it's really one of a kind with all the gibberish and the length. I never heard something similar to it. And therefore it makes sense opinions divide clash more than usual, so considering everyone but me voted it I'd like to know why, or what bothers you in it.

Tbh I'd probably vote for it if it wasn't a league above the ones I did choose (if only because I can't bring myself to vote for anything from Lateralus...)

The second half of 10,000 Days is awful.
Right in Two is a huge grower.

How do I choose? I liked 10,000 Days a lot, and this doesn't help considering Lateralus and AEnema are even better...
Boredom Trilogy (thanks for the phrase Knickerbocker :okok:)
Intension I like but it feels less important than the other songs on the album
46&2
H
And RIght in Two also doesn't grab me as much as for example Wings.

Now I want to ask you: Do the votes for Rosetta Stoned come from a dislike or from having to choose? I know it's really one of a kind with all the gibberish and the length. I never heard something similar to it. And therefore it makes sense opinions divide clash more than usual, so considering everyone but me voted it I'd like to know why, or what bothers you in it.

Tbh I'd probably vote for it if it wasn't a league above the ones I did choose (if only because I can't bring myself to vote for anything from Lateralus...)
Rosetta Stoned is a bit too long and anti climactic

I voted Rosetta Stoned because with the exception of a few parts it’s just a giant mess. The riffs are actually pretty pedestrian, Maynard is obnoxious, and the song is far too bloated. Easily the worst song the album other than Intension (which, let's be real, is more of an interlude).

Voted for Stinkfist, H, D/R/T, Rosetta, and Intension. I debated making Ænima my sixth vote due to the immature lyrics, but I couldn’t. The riffage is too good.

Rosetta Stoned is so bizarre that it actually turns me off. I like some experimenting in music, but this sounds like Tool doing a bad Primus impression. That said, the “shit the bed” part is sort of catchy.

I don’t know what Intension is trying to be, but I’ll never get those seven minutes back.

The rest of 10,000 Days is solid (Jambi) to above average (Right in Two) to excellent (the other three). Vicarious was the first tool song that really grabbed me (I loved Parabola but in a different way), and The Pot is easily Maynard at his catchiest. Throw in the most emotive piece of music the band has ever done in the title track, and the core of this album is incredible.

I voted Rosetta Stoned because with the exception of a few parts it’s just a giant mess. The riffs are actually pretty pedestrian, Maynard is obnoxious, and the song is far too bloated. Easily the worst song the album other than Intension (which, let's be real, is more of an interlude).
I would normally agree. I don’t wanna push the stoner thing too much... however I didn’t understand Intension until I listened to it high. The song all of a sudden clicked for me. There are so many layers that I didn’t hear during sober listens. The song shines with depth.

that’s enough stoner talk today, Travis can have the rest if he likes...

I would normally agree. I don’t wanna push the stoner thing too much... however I didn’t understand Intension until I listened to it high. The song all of a sudden clicked for me. There are so many layers that I didn’t hear during sober listens. The song shines with depth.

that’s enough stoner talk today, Travis can have the rest if he likes...

I was having this discussion with @Detective Beauregard the other day: I'm pretty sure that Tool's music overall is a 50/50 compositional split between songs that are actually deep and songs that are imbued with "deepness" by the fans because they've been drawn into the "Tool mystique". While I can see that sometimes Maynard is writing very complex, emotional, metaphorical lyrics and the band is layering rhythms and patterns deep within some songs, other times they are literally squeezing a cat, slowing it down, and calling it art.

Back