The Writing On The Wall

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
The album is full of fantastic melodies, but the triple-lead guitar harmony in this song is still one of my favorites.

Donner

Ancient Mariner
The Writing on the Wall - 8/10 - I liked this when it was released back in July and somehow like it even more within the context of the album. Adrian's solo is great and I love the harmonies. I can't disassociate this from the video (and how excited we all were on July 15) so that plays in my head every time I listen to this song.

Dentura

Invader
I really like this song a lot! It's got a great rhythm and some killer, almost Wild West sounding riffs. Definitely boosts the momentum of the album's flow after the previous two songs for me. The animated music video for this song was also a lot of fun!

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Curious fact: This song and ''Moonchild'' are the only songs written by Adrian that contain an acoustic intro. (''Journeyman'' is a fully acoustic song!).

''The Writing On The Wall'' was initially without it, as we can see from the picture of Kevin Shirley's diary.

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands
10/10

A unique, groovy-as-hell addition to the Maiden discography. It's incredibly different, nice and bluesy, and just a powerhouse performance from Adrian Smith. One of his best solos of all time. The lyrics are simplistic, but I think that works for the song (especially considering they're more well written than half of Steve's "epic" syllable lyrics on the rest of the record).

Poto

Ancient Mariner
A friend of mine had a fantastic summary of this song when we listened to the full album for the first time

His words were "amazing intro, amazing riff, amazing amazing and amazing"

That should sum it up quite nicely

This song is amazing, I always love when maiden do new things and damn this one was new and unique, but also very inspired a great song overall, a born classic song.

10/10

TheMercenary

Ancient Mariner
Still one of my favorite songs on this record. Some great melodies, some great singing, some huge riffs/drumming and some excellent solos. <3