The worldwide politics thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
Yeah, these numbers seem highly unlikely to be even remotely accurate. Furthermore, they obviously excluded women from the survey.

Provocative thought: Perhaps the US and their allies should have built an army of Afghan woman soldiers instead.

Yes.
I know it's hard to hear, but yes, it was for nothing.

And we saw what that was worth. The troops disintegrated almost immediately. We don't know what the police did, but if they're still around, they are now working for the Taliban.
This may sound controversial but isn't that better than no police or less educated police?

This may sound controversial but isn't that better than no police or less educated police?

If it's the role of the police to beat women for daring to go outside like a human being, it would be better to have no police. ATCAB.

No police is not realistic. With or without Taliban.

Perhaps some Western education may have had its advantage. It's hard to tell yet.

All this is certainly not easy for the veterans and families of soldiers who lost their lives either. And non-military who went out there. Was all this for nothing? At least it wasn't that obvious while they were working out there. At least some people had their education, at least some had their (women) rights for a period of time. At least some form of social life and history was accessible (also musea as you know; without police that may have been a different story; someone needs to guard all this).

No police, not a chance. With or without Taliban.

Well. I understand that it's very difficult for you to accept that the police who are now the bad guys were trained by the good guys, but I'm afraid that's how it is. The Dutch trained policemen who will be whipping women on the streets and shoot innocents protesting for their rights. There is no way around this fact. If you think it is better to have such a police than no police, you're free to think that, but I will never do so.

All this is certainly not easy for the veterans and families of soldiers who lost their lives. Was all this for nothing?

Yes, it was all for nothing. I know it's not easy to accept, but it is the truth.

At least it wasn't that obvious while they were working out there. At least some people had their education, at least some had their (women) rights for a period of time.

That's little comfort for the people now, I'm sorry to say.

Hmm, I assume there are Taliban "warriors" as well, also those who were not trained, and these will certainly be shooters (as well).

But yes, you're right. Trained police, non-trained police, all these fuckers, they are now one bunch of evil fucko's.

If it is all that bleak, I am going to throw away all the nuance.

So, just fuck all of the inhabitants out there, within no time they are all extremists and bad guys anyway.

The few who aren't: that's little comfort.

So, just fuck all of the inhabitants out there, within no time they are all extremists and bad guys anyway.

I really hope you don't think that it's this what I'm saying because if so, it seems like you don't know me at all.

At this moment I can't accept what you have said. Sorry. It makes me angry that ALL was for nothing. It is too early for me to agree with this.

So forgive me the bullshit I just posted.

But if there is still enough good left in the country, I think some of this hope may shine through in future posts. If there is no room for the tiniest grain of positivity, I can't see why nuance is still needed.

I think that saying it's for nothing is a little...I dunno. Much? There are people who will live because the Taliban was gone for 20 years. People who felt different freedoms than normal. But those things were too few, too far, and too weak, and many of those people will soon be extinguished by the Taliban. I don't think, despite those changes, the course of Afghanistan has been materially changed in the positive, and yeah, so on the broad scale, this was a futile exercise.

The fact is that the soldiers trained by ISAF did not do what they were supposed to do. Surely, many defected to the Taliban. Many more lay down their arms. More were a mirage, paper soldiers created to justify expenses. All ISAF forces participated in the mirage, creating an army that functionally did not exist, with no professionalism or desire to fight, merely to get paid. And a few months ago, the money stopped, so what little professionalism used to exist vanished. Especially when the Taliban showed up and paid those guys.

There are a ton of NATO soldiers who died and now those people have to reckon with the legacy of a failed war, like the Vietnam veterans before them. They died and were wounded and bear great mental scars...for very little, if anything.

It makes me angry that ALL was for nothing.

Yes, it makes me angry too. It makes me angry that my government lied to me and that there are public servants in my country who promised people in Afghanistan a bright future and then cheated them out of it. It makes me angry and heartbroken that I might never be able to visit this country, which I am dedicating my academic career to. It makes me angry that some of the kindest and most generous people I ever met are in risk of losing their lives for doing the same job I do here. But just because it makes me angry doesn't mean I'm denying the truth. That doesn't do any good.

I don't know how it will go on. I suspect the Taliban will be backed by China and stabilise their grip on the country in exchange for mining rights. I don't know long their reign will last. Maybe they will be overthrown by the end of the year, maybe they'll be in power for a decade or longer. Maybe Afghanistan will finally divided among ethnic lines, which I think is the only way to secure peace in this country. I just don't know.

I know it's hard to hear, but yes, it was for nothing.

It's not over yet.

The north is holding on. I've seen videos of Afghan commando crying to Pakistani soldier that needs to disarm him. That he's an Afghan soldier and he can't give up his weapon. The man is crying like a kid, for the treason of his goverment. It's not over yet, the people are willing to fight. FWIW special forces number thousands and they are real, they've took the brunt of fighting in the last years. The resistance needs to be consolidated in the north.

Also, this photo of 600 people transported in one American plane is making the news right now.

Do you want to see the video where guy is smiling and shooting selfie while 50 of them is on the outer fuselage of a plane in takeoff?
Funny thing, they're all dead - the ground speed was >100kmh when the video ends and the plane took off. They're all dead.

Why the fuck did they YOLO into certain death by gravity but same thing against Taliban is inconceivable?

If you get your information from unsourced screenshots, you should always expect something fishy. Media competence 101.
I took screen from one croatian news portal they had big article about it and they are totally against Taliban and they support women rights, so I was expecting that it is worth it.But yes, it seems that this survey is not so realistic.

Where are you from? And how is your academic career connceted to Afghan?

Why the fuck did they YOLO into certain death by gravity but same thing against Taliban is inconceivable?

They know that, I don't. I can only speculate why they felt that risking their lives getting out of Afghanistan was better than staying.

Where are you from? And how is your academic career connceted to Afghan?

I'm from Germany, I am working on literary sources on the ancient history of what is now Afghanistan.

Well, I didn't talk to them. Maybe it was a desperate cry for attention to the world. Like a Vietnamese monk lighting himself on fire in the streets of Saigon. I don't know.

Back