The worldwide politics thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
Good thread. Finally I can get the Turkish politics out of the European Politics thread, which never sat well with me because we're not European.

Bolivia's President Declares 'Total Independence' from World Bank and IMF

http://ahtribune.com/economy/1803-bolivia-morales-world-bank-imf.html

Since Bolivia loans around 7% of their GDP, it's safe to say that some institution is willing to loan out strategic amounts of money without asking for economic reforms or policy change.
The only long-term problem with this is that it may be difficult for Bolivia to rejoin the international banking institutions if they later fail. I'm not a huge fan of these organizations in execution, but I think they have good potential if they were to be reformed - anyway, Bolivia is a modern-day success story, by most measuring sticks.

A member of AKP's Board of Directors said this on national TV yesterday: "We're founding a new state, whether you like it or not, and the founding leader of this state is Recep Tayyip Erdoğan".

Not that we didn't know this already, but it's the first time it's been uttered so blatantly.

Even if you exchanged the name for Kennedy - that sentence still sounds creepy as f*ck to me.

The following series of events took place in Turkey this week.

14 September 2017: Minister of Education praises the system regarding the transition from primary to secondary education, named TEOG, and talks about the improvements that will go into effect this school year.
15 September 2017: President Erdoğan, in a live interview, says "I dislike TEOG and I think it should be eliminated."
19 September 2017: Minister of Education announces that TEOG has been eliminated. As the new school year begins, there's no system in place.

This other series of events also took place in Turkey this week.

Status quo: Teams in the Turkish football league are allowed to have 14 foreigners on their teams.
15 September 2017: President Erdoğan, in a live interview, says "I don't think that many foreigners should be allowed on the teams, the Turkish players don't get a chance to play".
17 September 2017: Turkish Football Federation announces that the development of a new system that allows less foreign players on squads is imminent.

All hail the all-knowing Sultan.

Last edited:
Our minister of foreign affairs met Trump in some meeting today and gave him copies of front pages of our newspapers when Trump was elected and said we all supported him, then asked Trump to sign those pages for him. SMH

Our president invited Trump to visit Serbia. I think it'd be fun, the last one to visit was Jimmy Carter in 1980 after Tito died (he didn't go to the funeral to avoid meeting the Russian president :p)

Our minister of foreign affairs met Trump in some meeting today and gave him copies of front pages of our newspapers when Trump was elected and said we all supported him, then asked Trump to sign those pages for him. SMH

Our president invited Trump to visit Serbia. I think it'd be fun, the last one to visit was Jimmy Carter in 1980 after Tito died (he didn't go to the funeral to avoid meeting the Russian president :p)
Was your foreign minister joking? I'm assuming that Trumpy can't read Serbian, whichever alphabet you use.

Dude's an idiot, I doubt he thought of that. There's a video of it, but it doesn't show what Trump was signing, but he was signing something.

Back