THE TRUTH ABOUT IRON MAIDEN

MaidenTruth

Truthseeker
Iron Maiden are one of the most successful rock bands of all time. With over 90 million records sold and over 2000 live shows in the world's biggest venue, Maiden, as their fans call them, have been going strong since the release of their debut album in 1980.

With their mascot Eddie, Iron Maiden have relied solely on their image and recognizability to stay relevant and successful over forty years after their formation, because they do not have a stockpile of hit singles or exposition to radio airplay as other bands do.

But wait a minute.

Something here doesn't make sense. How does a band continuously sell out massive venues and headline major festivals like Rock in Rio, playing to a quarter of a million people in one go, and how do they sell an amount of 90 million albums, if they don't get media exposure?

Even Michael Jackson's seminal album Thriller, the best-selling individual album of all time, required constant airplay and the help of seven top ten singles to sell a total of 65 million units. Just imagine what would happen if Maiden had decided to release this amount of chart-topping singles for one of their classic albums! Smell something fishy here?

nb8jyp3531ypkjnzg.jpg

So let's get this straight: A generic rock band from an obscure part of England takes the world's biggest stages without the help of MTV, the radio or magazine support. All this in the 80's, when the internet did not yet exist and you couldn't just discover new music with the click of a mouse.

Back in the day, you only got exposed to new music when you turned on the radio or went to your local record store and checked out the top 40 singles. But guess what: None of Maiden's singles made the top 40 in the United States. Their highest charting album here was Somewhere In Time, which made no. 11. And yet, on this tour, they allegedly sold out venues such as Long Beach Arena in L.A. and Madison Square Garden in New York City.

It's time to ask questions about the real reasons for their supposed success, about the Truth behind Iron Maiden. But I'm going to warn you: It's going to be ugly. If you are prepared to find out how deep this rabbit hole goes, come with me. But if you prefer to enjoy a good spinning of your favorite Maiden hits like Run to the Hills and The Apparition, you can still back out.

5aal5u151u46l8azg.jpg

I've put some of the most shocking revelations in spoilers. You have been warned.

Another word of warning: I'm just going to raise a few red flags for you. I'm not here to spoon-feed you conclusions. Some of the things I have found out sound outrageous and unbelievable. It's up to you to do your own research, to puzzle the pieces together yourself and draw your own conclusions.

If you don't want to believe me, I'm not going to force you. But don't say that you weren't warned when it's too late.

647q1d6db66k2bezg.jpg

You're still here? Good. It's time to look behind the success of Iron Maiden. To see what's really going on behind the flashy album covers, the sellout gigs and the guitar harmonies that allegedly make Iron Maiden so great.

Here's a question for you: Who's the most famous member of Iron Maiden? Bruce Dickinson, the singer? Steve Harris, the bassist? How about Eddie, the ghoulish creature that appears on every poster and every album cover, walks onstage on every concert and puts his face literally everywhere?

That's right, everywhere where the band members would be. As if it's a mask the band puts on whenever they go out. Should it surprise you then to learn that "Eddie" was originally a mask the band used as a backdrop for their live shows?

The common story about Eddie is that he was a mask named after a joke about a boy called "Eddie the Head" who was born without a body. A joke that's not only not funny, but also doesn't make any sense. At all.

Ever notice that on the cover for Live After Death, Eddie's last name is concealed by a patch of soil that just conveniently covers that part of the tombstone?

bab28cv1e3jl11bzg.jpg

If we're to believe that his "real" name is Edward The Head, why conceal the last name? This could not have been considered common knowledge in 1985, without the internet at all, right? Maybe they just thought the joke no longer made sense, since Eddie had long received a body. Or maybe, his last name is not what we're supposed to believe it is.

If you look closely, you can just about make out that the first letter of the last name is H. Okay, so this could be the initial letter for "Head", but there are countless other names that would begin with H, right?

So you're probably asking how we could find out what Eddie's real last name is. It's not going to be easy. We're going to have to go deeper down the rabbit hole. So store what we've established so far in the back of your head. We'll return here eventually.

WARNING: If you're still not sure if you want to go further down the rabbit hole, this is your last chance to make up your mind. From now on, you'll be trapped in it forever.

So we're somewhere in London in 1980. A band called Iron Maiden releases its debut album and it suddenly becomes a hit, reaching no. 4 on the British charts - all without airplay, remember? They played their collective asses off in clubs and pubs for years, with tried and tested songs written by themselves... or were they?

Some former members of Iron Maiden have come out recently, saying that the songs were not written by who we're led to believe. And let's take a look at those early songwriting credits: Almost all of them were written by Steve Harris. Steve Harris, a young bassist with no formal education in music, and he's supposed to write complex numbers such as Phantom of the Opera, still hailed as an immortal classic, all by himself?

A Facebook page called Maiden77 has recently come out and named a long list of former members such as Dennis Willcock, Ron Mathews, Bob Sawyer, Tony Moore and Paul Cairns. The list is really long, and I recommend you check the website out. They have disclosed some details about the songwriting that contradicts the information we're being fed. Most importantly: The songs were not written by who we are told.

So let's look at one of the early numbers Iron Maiden wrote: Wrathchild. It's a short song, not even 3 minutes long. Ask any Maiden fan worth their salt, and they'll tell you how tired they are of this song. That it's boring and nothing special at all. And yet, it's been played on almost every tour since the very beginning. Why would Maiden play a song nobody likes all the time? Why would they put it on every live album? Why would they use it to mark one of the most important moments in the history of the band?

In 1999, Bruce Dickinson, the famous singer, rejoined Iron Maiden after a downtime of several years, during which the band's popularity slumped and their artistic output was universally bashed. This had not been the multi-million records selling rock monster of the 1980s, but a sad, forgotten shadow of previous glory, or so the official narrative goes. Bruce Dickinson rejoined the band just at the right time to headline the massive Rock in Rio festival in 2001, before 250,000 fans. From tiny venues with a hundred spectators in 1998 to half a million in 2001. Without any airplay, remember?

Anyway, to mark this event, Maiden released one of their rare singles, a re-recording of Wrathchild with Bruce Dickinson on vocals. Why use a universally hated song for this? What is so special about it?

Here's where science comes in. Specifically: Phonology.

Remember that Iron Maiden is originally from England, more specifically East London. The local dialect, also known as Cockney, has some very specific pronunciations that differ from standard English. Let's look at how a Cockney would pronounce the word "Wrathchild".

The "w" is mute, of course. The first divergence is the letter "a", which a Cockney would pronounce more damped, like an "o". The th, would be pronounced closer to "f", but as you will see, this is not important here. The "ch" in Cockney would be closer to a "sh".

Now piece it together and see if the lyrics to "Wrathchild" gain a new meaning for you.

pdxbejqfh7txbctzg.jpg

I too was really shocked when I figured this out, and just like you, I didn't want it to be true. Surely it must have been a coincidence. But as it turned out, I was trapped in the rabbit hole, and all I could do was go further down, to see how far it goes. And so are you now. Once this door is pushed open, it all starts to fall together. Maiden are removing their mask before our eyes.

p2gugsxj673n46hzg.jpg

We all know that the square root of 23 is 5, which is incidentally also 2+3. So we can imagine that for their fifth album, Maiden would have done something special to reveal their intentions. And lo and behold, they did!

k4t4bhbydiva7sszg.jpg

They even returned to this theme in they're 2008 "Somewhere Back In Time" tour, only more obvious!

9d7kc509ak1nd7bzg.jpg

But wait, there's more! In order to mock us, their fifth album with all these (and more!) implications that was released in 1984!!!! Wonder what Orwell would say to that...

At this point, it's truly redundant to point out that their song Montségur from 2003's Dance of Death album mentions the eye of the triangle and Templar believers.

cmue3fw6tuduv3tzg.jpg

So after all this, let's get back to Eddie. Remember how we puzzled about his real last name? How we thought it was hidden behind some dirt on a tombstone?

Well, what if I told you that it was never hidden after all? That, indeed, it was always right there, right before our eyes?

Look at Eddie:

eddie.jpg

Sure, he's not pretty. But that's not what should concern us right now. Notice the hair? It's pretty neat for a degenerated corpse, isn't it? It's almost as if they're making it extra flashy to make us notice it.

The neat, white hair...

Wait. White hair? Eddie the Head with white hair? A white head?

4ya08v7xaqnli65zg.jpg

So maybe his last name is "Head" after all. Or maybe German "Haupt"? Same amount of letters, it fits the same space on the tombstone....

This is all I'm giving you - as I said, I'm just trying to wake you up. From here on, you must tunnel yourself through the rabbit hole on your own. Do your own research! Draw your own conclusions! And most importantly, don't believe the lies about Iron Maiden, the major league rock band with no airplay.

I had my internet reading glasses on just there & only managed to read a couple of lines of that. Could you give me a quick summary of your main points, MaidenTruth?

I had my internet reading glasses on just there & only managed to read a couple of lines of that. Could you give me a quick summary of your main points, MaidenTruth?

I'm not buying this shit about a rock band becoming superstars without any airplay support just because fans who can't have heard of them buy their records, and neither should you.

The best one-line summary would probably be his statement: "We all know that the square root of 23 is 5, which is incidentally also 2+3."

Back