The Star Symbol On The Floor Of The Dod Cover And Its Significance

gor

Ancient Mariner
During the DOTR documentary, Nicko reffers to the symbol on the DOD cover floor as a "12 pointed star". I've done a bit of searching and have found that it is found in many cultures as a symbol with variating symbolism:

"12 Pointed Stars are found cross culturally and can refer to the 12 Disciples, the 12 Knights of the Celtic Round Table, the 12 Signs of the Zodiac, the 12 lictors of Romulus, the 12 Peers of France and even the 12 Namshans of the Round Council of the Dalai Lama".

However, if one counts the yellow points as well, it is a 24 pointed star, for which I have failed to trace any significant symbolisms.

Does anyone know anything more about this? Is this symbol explained in the movie "Vidoqc", in which it appears?

It might signify something, since the DOD cover has a few other refferences, like the illuminati figures in the backround (connected to Montsegur) and the reaper himself (number 13 = death tarot card, the cover features the reaper and the songs are thematically heavily linked to the concept of Death).

Feel free to discuss...

For the examples you named I think the twelve apostles would suit the best, thinking of No More Lies. I also thought the star might have something to do with this painting by Simon Ushakov

Simon_ushakov_last_supper_1685.jpg

As you can see there is Jesus with the twelve apostles sitting in a circle. Twelve men being suspected, twelve men being true. That may be the reason the star is double. This is a consideration although it's very far-fetched, just giving you some possibilities.
I think the star doesn't have such meanings, it just looks fine and I think it isn't symbolic. Just gave my best shot at something what looks the most obvious I guess. I also don't think the cover is related to the album in the way of lyrical meanings. I don't think Patchett knew the songs when he started making the cover.

Incidentally, the 12-pointed star is also the national symbol of Nauru (look at the star in my signature, that was lifted from the country's flag), representing the originally twelve tribes of the island. This is most likely completely irrelevant, but I thought it was worth noting anyway, as 12-pointed stars aren't that common.

Why do most people on here seem to want to find an explanation or reason for every small detail relating to Iron Maiden i.e Coming up with outlandish explanations of song lyrics.

There isn't always a contrived reason for these occurances they are just what was produced. ::

[!--quoteo(post=128877:date=Feb 12 2006, 05:47 PM:name=British Army Trooper)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(British Army Trooper @ Feb 12 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]128877[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Why do most people on here seem to want to find an explanation or reason for every small detail relating to Iron Maiden i.e Coming up with outlandish explanations of song lyrics.

There isn't always a contrived reason for these occurances they are just what was produced. ::
[/quote]

It's the nature of this board- the Commentary board. You'd better get used to it.

[!--quoteo(post=128877:date=Feb 12 2006, 04:47 PM:name=British Army Trooper)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(British Army Trooper @ Feb 12 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]128877[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Coming up with outlandish explanations of song lyrics.
[/quote]
That's my job. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

Back