The Musketeers

Black Abyss Babe

CriedWhenJanickCutHisHair
Anyone else watching it? My impression after 2 episodes is that I'm going to enjoy it - it looks very good and it's quite entertaining without either attempting to be a serious piece of drama or ending up as a pantomime (yet). But I'm not sure if it has the potential to become a true classic like Robin of Sherwood, which it obviously harks back to (as well making a very unsubtle nod to Pirates of the Caribbean). I really like the music, and lots of sword-fighting is generally fine by me - in short, it's entirely the sort of TV I appreciate.

Side-stepping the issue of "it's not a faithful rendering of the Dumas books", since it freely admits it isn't, if you are watching it I'm interested to get your thoughts and impressions.

I still haven't seen it yet, although it sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would watch. A couple of history fanatics I know weren't happy about the way the way the main characters were dressed, but I'm sure I could live with that.

Well, if their thing is historical accuracy and they can't deal with anything else they will hate it. It's basically set in a very heavily fictionalised version of a real place and time in which some very improbably things happen - I suppose it's a kind of low fantasy. Not a great work of art, just really good fun. It's in a very similar vein to The New Adventures of Robin Hood and Dark Knight (which was "The New Adventures of Ivanhoe" for all practical purposes) so if you liked either of those you should definitely see it. A lot of WSD is required, but that's fine by me because I have it in spades :).

Back