The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

Crimson Idol

Caveman
Creating because @Night Prowler is too lazy to do it. Mostly about Agents of SHIELD at this point (cos that's what we were originally discussing), but other discussion is welcome ofc :p

Just finished watching episode 12, part of it was pretty predictable imo - and that's without me knowing in advance the real name of the super - whilst the Skye storyline was semi-predictable, but still leaves a lot wide open. I'm interested to see where that's going!

I definitely agree with what you said. I'm excited to see what's going to happen next. Now that some things have been revealed and there seems to be some more character development happening. I said this in Now Watching but now there's a thread for it I'll post it here:
I feel like there is still more to it and I'm sure there is and I still have this weird feeling there's something up with May and Skye. I don't think we have the full picture yet, just only part of it.

Prior to seeing a promo-clip of this episode, I was thinking it had something to do with May. Partly to add a bit more tension but because May had always been very evasive about Skye - during episode 9 when Skye was talking to the victim (Hannah) about Human nature and her feelings about God, May was listening round the corner very intently. At that point my thought was that May's whole "cavalry" thing may have involved killing Skye's parents or something.

Once I saw the promo and it said that Skye's past was "worse than she imagined" I was rather unsure, although it would still fit with her parents being an enemy of SHIELD sometime. This is very different however now, and the storyline shall probably continue long into the next season.

There's 3 main storylines running, Skye, Coulson and Centipede. The clairvoyant is yet to be revealed and we have two potential villains already created (Blizzard and Graviton)

At that point my thought was that May's whole "cavalry" thing may have involved killing Skye's parents or something.
You know, that thought hadn't even occurred to me. That maybe she was the one who killed her parents and I almost want to favor that theory rather than the mother one now.

You know, that thought hadn't even occurred to me. That maybe she was the one who killed her parents and I almost want to favor that theory rather than the mother one now.

It seemed to fit at that point (to me at least), that May would be weary of Skye because she knew where she had come from, and was potentially warming up to her as she learnt more about her. Fitting it into the cavalry thing, which they describe as being something that changed her significantly, would make sense - going through an op only to find a baby in the middle of it. But now it seems if May does have any involvement in her past, she's keeping it well hidden.

May is connected to Skye for sure. Probably knew the Avery woman who saved Skye, but she definitely isn't the one who killed her.

May is connected to Skye for sure. Probably knew the Avery woman who saved Skye, but she definitely isn't the one who killed her.

Yeah, this sounds about right to me. I don't think they will play the hand that heavy on Skye. I think we'll learn that May had something to do with Avery, or hey, maybe she even knew Skye's parents at some point. Though honestly, this whole 084 business makes me think they'll avoid May's involvement.

There's 3 main storylines running, Skye, Coulson and Centipede. The clairvoyant is yet to be revealed and we have two potential villains already created (Blizzard and Graviton)

I really hope that these villains continue to return and we aren't left with a "guess those actors didn't want to keep coming back" scenario. That's my biggest fear for this show.

Hopefully, by the end of this season, we'll get a big reveal, some closure, and all of the so-so fans will finally realize what this show could be. Joss Whedon shows are notorious for having amazing season finales.

I don't think anyone knows who Skye's parents are. She might be alien. She might also have some superpowers.

So while failing to sleep I've been re-watching them. Thoughts ahoy!

In the last ep Coulson said to Skye that he had been keeping something from her and recently (i.e since Ep.11 where he learnt about the secrets kept from him) he had realised he had no right to. Also, in episodes previously Coulson and May have said that they agreed to keep it secret from her, not to tell her. They clearly didn't know the circumstances about all the agents dying, and Skye being the 0-8-4, but they knew something and I'm quite curious as to what. Coulson says in I think episode 2 "An object of unknown origin, like you", but he was clearly surprised to find that she actually WAS one. So I wonder if that was a subtle hint by the writers, an accidental slip or something that they changed/forgot about later in the writing process, or just a passing comment (probably the last one).
Skye's reaction to it all really does make her, as Knick put it just now, very human.

At this rate I am actually expecting May's character history to unfold at some point and be more surprising than all the rest. She was very aggressive to Skye earlier in the series, as well as frequently observing her, only to suddenly support the hunt for information after she found Coulson. The whole Cavalry thing is interesting - initially they say she hates the nickname because she doesn't like the fame and just wants to stay in the background, and she herself is very adamant she doesn't want to do any more fighting. But then she changes her mind (she misses it? if it was so traumatic then that's an intriguing decision) and it is revealed that it was a very dark moment for her, and one that she frequently thinks about. I'm not sure how she connects to Skye if at all, perhaps she's just stubborn.

The Clairvoyant certainly seems to know a lot about everyone, but they state he "knows what the president dreams about" and yet he didn't know anything about Coulson's revival due to Coulson himself having changed, surely if he can actually read anyone on the planet he would simply read the doctors/Fury etc. Agent Hand states that it's odd for so much effort to go into retrieving a single Agent, and we already know that Fury "moved heaven and earth" to bring him back... personally I just assumed it was because Coulson was high up in Shield (He's been there since the first film and was around at every key point) so I was surprised to see him being beneath Hand when they visit the Hub.

Lastly, they really craft the episodes well imo, there are always clues throughout as to where it's going. In the latest one, they mention early on that Donnie "doesn't talk to anyone under 170 IQ" which is a clear lead into Fitz being the one to talk to him. He's using a tablet when they are at the pool, and you can see him and Seth exchange a pretty sinister look just after it freezes, yet Seth says that he doesn't even know him. He clearly isn't a bad guy as he just seemed to want someone to work with, yet he seemed quite pleased with his new found powers. I'd expect to see him again sent out from the Sandbox to work with the team rather than as a villain first, because I would expect it to be hard for him to breakout directly.

Coulson says in I think episode 2 "An object of unknown origin, like you", but he was clearly surprised to find that she actually WAS one. So I wonder if that was a subtle hint by the writers, an accidental slip or something that they changed/forgot about later in the writing process, or just a passing comment (probably the last one).

Knowing the Whedons, of which this show has 3, it was put there on purpose.

At this rate I am actually expecting May's character history to unfold at some point and be more surprising than all the rest. She was very aggressive to Skye earlier in the series, as well as frequently observing her, only to suddenly support the hunt for information after she found Coulson. The whole Cavalry thing is interesting - initially they say she hates the nickname because she doesn't like the fame and just wants to stay in the background, and she herself is very adamant she doesn't want to do any more fighting. But then she changes her mind (she misses it? if it was so traumatic then that's an intriguing decision) and it is revealed that it was a very dark moment for her, and one that she frequently thinks about. I'm not sure how she connects to Skye if at all, perhaps she's just stubborn.

I think the latter is true, she seems very stubborn. Her sudden change of heart is interesting. I hope that it plays out as a character trait rather than a slip of writers convenience. May is very mysterious, and thus, very interesting, IMO.

The Clairvoyant certainly seems to know a lot about everyone, but they state he "knows what the president dreams about" and yet he didn't know anything about Coulson's revival due to Coulson himself having changed, surely if he can actually read anyone on the planet he would simply read the doctors/Fury etc. Agent Hand states that it's odd for so much effort to go into retrieving a single Agent, and we already know that Fury "moved heaven and earth" to bring him back... personally I just assumed it was because Coulson was high up in Shield (He's been there since the first film and was around at every key point) so I was surprised to see him being beneath Hand when they visit the Hub.

It is weird that Hand outranks Coulson! I never thought about that. Maybe it's for his own good, in Fury's mind?

As for the Clairvoyant thing, I'm not sure where it's going, but the whole plot seems kind half-assed right now.

Lastly, they really craft the episodes well imo, there are always clues throughout as to where it's going. In the latest one, they mention early on that Donnie "doesn't talk to anyone under 170 IQ" which is a clear lead into Fitz being the one to talk to him. He's using a tablet when they are at the pool, and you can see him and Seth exchange a pretty sinister look just after it freezes, yet Seth says that he doesn't even know him. He clearly isn't a bad guy as he just seemed to want someone to work with, yet he seemed quite pleased with his new found powers. I'd expect to see him again sent out from the Sandbox to work with the team rather than as a villain first, because I would expect it to be hard for him to breakout directly.

The episodes are laid very well, though honestly I feel the direction is often far too obvious. I can usually figure out an episode within 10 minutes (granted, I studied film and watch things with the eye of a writer, but still).

As for Donnie, I was hoping he'd be a good guy for a bit, too. It'd be interesting to see someone with powers on the team.

Do we discuss the apparently upcoming Batman vs Superman film in here?

I'm excited for another Thor crossover, even though the last one was mostly a throwaway gimmick.

As for Agent Carter, I just don't know. I think Marvel might be over-saturating the market a little bit. SHIELD is being heavily criticized by the public and the critics, I don't think the answer is to fast track another Marvel series into production that will ultimately complicate the TV/film canon even farther. Then again, I did like Reaper, and I wouldn't mind looking at Hayley Atwell once a week. :)

I wouldn't mind looking at Hayley Atwell once a week. :)
hihi.gif

You heard of this, btw?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11...netflix-leading-into-the-defenders-miniseries

Yeah, that's exactly my point! There's so much going on that they're going to drown themselves.

The great thing about the Marvel films was that it got people who don't read the comics interested in the world. You come out with 1-2 films a year, use the same characters every so often, and people love it. But they're basically turning the multimedia property into the comic books - you've got films, tv series, mini-episodes on DVD releases, Netflix series - it's just all too much. Casual viewers are going to abandon it because it's too much of an investment. A lot of people aren't comic book fans because it's a huge commitment, you go to the store once a week (or once a month) to keep up on the non-stop stories of these characters. So if they make the multimedia series just as immersive as the comic books, it's going to turn people away. Plus, it's gonna start to be really confusing from a logistics standpoint.

As someone who commits wholeheartedly to being a fan of things, I love it. I can't wait to see what happens. But as a realist, I think the general public is gonna get burnt out.

Back