The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Honestly, I'm more excited for Marvel right now than I was in the run up to Infinity War / Endgame. The new story sets are really fascinating - among my favourite comic stuff - and they have the financial ground to do lots of wacky weird shit. I really hope we get some deep cut stuff coming, let's get weird and wild. I haven't watched What If for a few weeks - gonna binge a couple episodes, maybe tonight.

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Honestly, I'm more excited for Marvel right now than I was in the run up to Infinity War / Endgame. The new story sets are really fascinating - among my favourite comic stuff - and they have the financial ground to do lots of wacky weird shit. I really hope we get some deep cut stuff coming, let's get weird and wild. I haven't watched What If for a few weeks - gonna binge a couple episodes, maybe tonight.
Wandavision and Loki definitely fit into the werid and wild.... They're good, I just... It was all ramping up to this ONE thing for the longest time and now.... Oh it's just a show. No different from watching How I Met Your Mother or Seinfeld. Just, because you enjoy it. Feels weird to do that with a Marvel property at this point.

Edington

Last Son of The Miracle
What If... Zombies?! was pretty good.
This episode suffered a lot from its short length, even the characters seemed to be rushing through their lines. Speaking of which, while it's great that many of the live-action actors returned to voice their respective characters, a few of their performances felt phoned-in, Hulk and the Winter Soldier especially. I don't know if the overly fast-pace is a factor or it's because they weren't as comfortable in a voice role, but it took me out of the moment a few times.

Anyway, plot-wise it was solid. I will say that I thought the Avengers + Black Panther dropping themselves right in the middle of a zombie horde to fight them was pretty ridiculous, but that was just skimmed over during the quick opening explanation. Didn't really care for Spiderman's home-made "how to survive the zombie apocalypse" bit either, but again it was short so whatever. Aside from a few slightly out of place comedic moments the rest of the episode had the horror tone I was hoping for, particularly the part with Zombie Wanda and there were some surprisingly graphic moments. Zombies get head-shotted, exploded from within and bisected both ways, and I'm amazed they got away with showing what Vision was doing with Black Panther. That's one of the moments where the runtime could've benefitted from being a bit longer actually, Vision's change of heart was very sudden and not properly explained, I think. It then ended on a great cliffhanger, which I really hope gets resolved in a future series.

Overall, I'd rate the episodes as such:
  1. Avengers Murdered
  2. Zombies
  3. Dark Doctor Strange
  4. Star-Black Panther
  5. Captain Carter

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
I am somewhere between Onhell and LC on this. I lost all interest in Marvel after Endgame came out, save for the Spider-Man movies and maybe some of the other sequels (Ant Man, GOTG etc). It doesn’t help that a lot of the trailers for the newer movies just look really bland to me. It was a good 10ish year run, but I feel like I’ve had enough.

At the same time, if you’re a fan of the comic books now is probably the most exciting time for the movies. The multiverse, Marvel having a grip on pretty much all the properties, and being successful enough that they can take a lot more risks with their movies means that you’re going to get a lot of on screen adaptations that 10 years ago would’ve been seen as pure fantasy. And 10 years ago I probably would’ve been more interested in it.

Randalf

Ancient Mariner
I'm quite excited about Love and Thunder. Ragnarök was great, Taika Waititi knows what he's doing and gives some very welcome deviation from the overly clinical and Disney-saturated trend. Of course, it's not like his MCU projects are completely free from that, but they're still visually a lot more interesting than most of the MCU stuff.

Overall, as generally good as these films and series are, they sometimes lack some edge.

Jer

Abysmal display of mental decay
The new Doctor Strange movie was pretty solid, but not great. Interesting that it went down an almost "horror lite" path, though that makes sense with Raimi as the director. And the choice of villain was also interesting, though Wanda already seemed to get some closure at the end of WandaVision, and I don't see how you could possibly redeem the character after her actions in this film, just straight-up murdering people left and right.

Marvel doesn't seem to have a coherent through line for phase 4 yet, other than repeatedly touching on the multiverse concept. There are a number of hints through various movies and TV shows that Kang The Conqueror may be the next big bad, and the little asides with Contessa Valentina Allegra De Fontaine suggest that some incarnation of the Thunderbolts may be on the horizon, and it looks like the Netflix Marvel shows are being officially pulled into MCU canon, but this all feels a bit scattershot. Pandemic delays certainly haven't helped the situation either, since the MCU has felt mostly adrift since Avengers: Endgame, and that's lasted longer than intended.

We'll see how this Black Panther sequel turns out, but I wonder if they made a mistake in not recasting T'Challa. He was clearly poised to be the heart and wallet of the post-Cap, post-Iron Man Avengers, and Shuri just doesn't have the same emotional currency (yet). Honestly, if they brought back Killmonger and let him be the Black Panther going forward, that could make for some very interesting stories, but that would probably be a little too bold for the MCU.