The Maiden Commentary introduction

A

Anonymous

I've re-written the [a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/\' target=\'_blank\']intro of the Maiden Commentary[/a] to make it more suited to the site's contents. Most of you will think \"That's it. He's flipped!\" and dial 999 to call the men in white... [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

In any case, feedback would be welcome (as long as it's constructive). [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

So 50% of the Americans dont know that earth orbiting the sun? Is that really true? I know that Americans are ignorant, but they can't be THAT ignorant, can they?

Dont they ever read anything but perhaps the Bible?

I think they should check out more scientific litterature, that for sure.

Jesus.

The information was obtained from Carl Sagan's excellent book The Demon-Haunted World, and I have no reason to doubt the figures presented by this great scientist now sadly deceased. I was surprised myself at the amount of ignorant people in this world, but when you see the planet's current situation, you realise that things could be better if people didn't lack so much of basic culture. [!--emo&:dork:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dorky[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dorky[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

YOU ARE THE MAN ,YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
CARL SAGAN is a great man i wonder if STEVE has read that book its a great book ive read it 4 times i think the same people in AMERICA dont know a shit about whats really happening around the GLOBE...

UP THE IRON'S

Well done, that's excellent! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Tomas (the infinte dreamer)+Apr 7 2003, 06:28 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Tomas (the infinte dreamer) @ Apr 7 2003, 06:28 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Dont they ever read anything but perhaps the Bible?

I think they should check out more scientific litterature, that for sure.

Jesus. [/quote]
[!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Am I the only one who finds that one really funny? Talking about american ignorance I´ve heard that about 85% of the population can't name ten world capitals. That 65% couldn't name the 5 continents and 50% think Saddam was the one behind the sept 11 attacks. And then they think they can rule the world? It is really upseting that we are in the hands of such a bunch of stupid people. Please do not take it as an offense if you are a smart U.S citizen. (I am american as well, but like I say the don't know the continents, and because of that they have no idea that there are americans from Alaska to the southern tip of Chile. But moving on...) And if you are the prototype of NORTH-american I am describing please go read an encyclopedia or something.

Well Sebastian, if you don't want to be in America's \"hands\" then leave.

People only know what they're exposed to. And just because they don't know something now, doesn't mean they never learned about it before. There are MILLIONS of people living in America alone, and statistics don't mean s**t if they don't cover everyone.

And to Maverick, very well written if I do say so myself. But the American thing was (in my opinion) unnecessary. If you wanted to enlighten people on how Maiden's music can connect itself to History, you could've flat out said so.

BTW, I'm probably the ONLY American visitor to this site. But when \"American ignorance\" hits one of my favorite music sites, I fealt the need to speak my mind.

CUT THE CRAP

C R A P

so called \"americans\" are from usa inc.!!!

i´m an american a real and proud american just like everyone down here, so, cut the crap, b/c usa is antiamerican

[!--QuoteBegin-Type O Negative+Apr 10 2003, 03:38 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Type O Negative @ Apr 10 2003, 03:38 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] But the American thing was (in my opinion) unnecessary. If you wanted to enlighten people on how Maiden's music can connect itself to History, you could've flat out said so.

BTW, I'm probably the ONLY American visitor to this site. But when "American ignorance" hits one of my favorite music sites, I fealt the need to speak my mind. [/quote]
I would like to stress that I indicated clearly that \"[these statistics were] not in any case an anti-American comment, but the statistics I [had were] only available for the US, although they probably also apply to the rest of the planet\".

Most published studies are of US origin and pretty informative about the rest of the \"Western World\". I do not want to indulge in mindless American-bashing (even if I don't think much of this country's current government and attitude towards the rest of the world, but that's another story).

In fact, I receive quite a lot of mail from America and most of it is pretty intelligently written. I just wish people stopped being paranoid (if they're American) or ready for a \"let's diss the US of fucking A\" (as Nicko put it once). That I quoted US statistics does not imply a judgement of the US themselves. Like I said they probably also apply to the rest of the planet. Please read what I wrote and do not try to see something that isn't there! [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Apr 10 2003, 07:15 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Apr 10 2003, 07:15 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] [!--QuoteBegin-Type O Negative+Apr 10 2003, 03:38 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Type O Negative @ Apr 10 2003, 03:38 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] But the American thing was (in my opinion) unnecessary. If you wanted to enlighten people on how Maiden's music can connect itself to History, you could've flat out said so.

BTW, I'm probably the ONLY American visitor to this site. But when "American ignorance" hits one of my favorite music sites, I fealt the need to speak my mind. [/quote]
I would like to stress that I indicated clearly that "[these statistics were] not in any case an anti-American comment, but the statistics I [had were] only available for the US, although they probably also apply to the rest of the planet".

Most published studies are of US origin and pretty informative about the rest of the "Western World". I do not want to indulge in mindless American-bashing (even if I don't think much of this country's current government and attitude towards the rest of the world, but that's another story).

In fact, I receive quite a lot of mail from America and most of it is pretty intelligently written. I just wish people stopped being paranoid (if they're American) or ready for a "let's diss the US of fucking A" (as Nicko put it once). That I quoted US statistics does not imply a judgement of the US themselves. Like I said they probably also apply to the rest of the planet. Please read what I wrote and do not try to see something that isn't there! [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Of course there are well-educated and enlighten folks in the U.S.A. I would guess that some 75% of all Nobel prize winners are from the U.S.A. And the U.S.A have some of the finest schools and universities in the world.

And of course there a lot of ignorant people across the rest of the world too.

Still the U.S-Americans deserve a lot of critisism. Why? It because the most powerfull and one of the richest countries in the world. And still so many U.S-Americans dont know a SHIT about whats going on in the world. Most of the inhabitans of our planet are excused to know nothing because the havent have any chance to educate themself. But the U.S with all her riches and fine schools really should do better.

Any American visiting this site though, are both intelligent and musical! [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back