The Last Weekend

national acrobat

Ancient Mariner
In case any of you didn't know, the Ruskin Arms is closing down in a couple of months (to build flats, can you believe it!). So if you can get yourself down to The Last Weekend, the pub's final gig organised by CliveAid? One last time to see a bit of Maiden's history before it's demolished.  :(

RUSKINPOSTERFINAL.jpg

:(:(:(

Sad day, and unfortunately I am nowhere near the place. All hail the Ruskin Arms.

I was excited when I saw "The Last W..." Thinking it would be the rebirth of THE LAST WORD! then I read "Weekend" and was sad, then I read what it was about and stayed sad. How sad :(

Same thing happened to CBGB's, the most legendary rock club in New York.  It was too bad, but people appear to have gotten over it fairly quickly. 

Quick trivia: Who knows what CBGB (and OMFUG -- see picture) stands for? 
250px-CBGB_club_facade.jpg

Country, Bluegrass, Blues and Other Music For Uplifting Gourmandizers.

In 1988-1989 I was playing drums for a band called The Insurgents - I left that band to attend college. After I left, the band went on to play CBGB a few times with the new drummer. I've always been kinda sad I missed out on that...

Hm, may head to the gigs, I've got a good load of holidays left, and if a few people I know head (either from the forums or in real life) it could be great fun. Will have to look into it....

By the way, some of the bands playing there (Cloven Hoof, Elixir, Tokyo Blade, Jaguar) are semi-legendary NWOBHM bands.

On another Maiden forum there was some speculation about some members of Maiden possibly appearing there.  Anyone think this is feasible?

Or, Maiden could play there as a surprise.  Imagine how cool that would be, though it would never happen.  But one can always dream... :innocent:

Oh, and I'm not going.  There is no way I could afford flying to Britain right now.

Hm, I can get over and back for €58.94, both flights costing €0.00 with only taxes and charges to pay. That's going over on the Thursday and leaving on the Monday. Very tempting. Is anyone here going for sure?

Perun said:
By the way, some of the bands playing there (Cloven Hoof, Elixir, Tokyo Blade, Jaguar) are semi-legendary NWOBHM bands.

I also recognized Tequila Rocking Bird, after all they posted the link to their album download in the metal forums :D good stuff

Hunlord said:
Hm, I can get over and back for €58.94, both flights costing €0.00 with only taxes and charges to pay. That's going over on the Thursday and leaving on the Monday. Very tempting. Is anyone here going for sure?
I am. Got a spare ticket if you need it too.

national acrobat said:
I am. Got a spare ticket if you need it too.
If you wouldn't mind holding it for a few days please. I'm going to put in for the days off work on Monday, so hopefully should be able to confirm then!

Hunlord said:
If you wouldn't mind holding it for a few days please. I'm going to put in for the days off work on Monday, so hopefully should be able to confirm then!
No probs. Somehow I still have some holidays left after Maiden in the summer, so hopefully the goblin boss will let me have at least Friday afternoon off.

Perun said:

Reactivated NWOBHM legends Tokyo Blade performed at the Leyendas Del Rock Festival in Puerto de Mazarron, Spain on August 23, 2008. This was the group's first perfomance since the band reformed in 2007 and its first appearance in over 12 years.

Guitarist Andy Boulton commented on the show: "It was amazing to get back out in front of the amazing Spanish crowd after so many years — very humbling. The band was fantastic. We are really looking forward to the tour in November."

Bity of fan-filmed video footage from the concert.

----
This rocks!

I should actually be able to fly over and back for a tenner. Fuck sake, this should be good! :D Anyone know any decent hotels around? :p

Back