THE IRON MAIDEN COVERENDUM: Angel Stage (FINAL!)

I think it would have taken me ages to recognise Powerslave if I'd just heard that with no introduction. Bloody hell, that was certainly a different take on it.
I only realised what song it was when the riff popped up at 0:41.

7774694D-07FF-4880-9EBB-409733583088.png

Eliminated:
Innerwish - Alexander The Great
Anaal Nathrakh - Powerslave

Promoted:
Steve ‘n Seagulls - Aces High
Solitude Aeturnus - Hallowed Be Thy Name

DJ Yahel ft. Tammy - Fear Of The Dark
Nominated by Hande’s Blog.

—Vs.—

Iced Earth - Transylvania
Nominated by @Night Prowler .

—————————​

Zwan - The Number Of The Beast
Nominated by @Whooten and Hande’s Blog.

—Vs.—

Opeth - Remember Tomorrow
Nominated by @Mosh , @MrKnickerbocker , and Loudwire.

Voting for both traditional covers here. Iced Earth does a great job of making Transylvania heavier and making it sound like their own tune. The clean sections of Opeth’s cover sound more similar to their own songs than the original sounds like Maiden. A really nice cover that is far better than the original, IMO.

Can’t take the dj seriously and the Zwan cover sounds awesome and would be cool if it were any other Maiden tune.

I've been in and out on this game, sadly.

I want to congratulate DJ Yahel and Tammy for doing something with Fear of the Dark that I thought I'd never hear. Did Steve die? Is he spinning in his grave? It's not bad, but I am not the intended audience. They also lose a lot of the soul with the loss of the instrumental. This is a perfect example of why pop people don't get metal - they don't really understand what's happening, do they?

Iced Earth doesn't do much with Transylvania. It sounds like Transylvania with 90s Iced Earth playing it. I mean... yet I will still vote for Iced Earth.

You know, Zwan doesn't do too much bad here, but let's be clear, it's the same as before. It loses the soul. The Number of the Beast shouldn't sound happy, yet this cover does. If he made it sound evil, that'd be something else...

Now, this Opeth cover is fucking great. Really keeps the core of it but makes it their own. Easy vote for Opeth.

Wow, what a half cocked dance track. There's potential for a belting dance cover of FOTD, just this isn't it. Iced Earth win my vote easily for a heavied up Transylvania cover.

Zwan do a decent take on NOTB, although it sounds like it's meant to be ironic. Opeth get it completely right, meanwhile, by losing nothing of the original, but also making it unquestionably sound like an Opeth song.

The DJ Yahel cover had some appeal, and there was a solid base for an EDM version here, but it felt a little too restrained in the end. Meanwhile, the Iced Earth track was a very well executed cover of a really mediocre Iron Maiden song. I wanted to vote for originality here, but in the end I think the craftsmanship of @Night Prowler ’s choice won the day instead. Winner: Iced Earth

I liked the feel of the Zwan cover, but it went to exactly one place and stayed there the entire time, and it completely ignored the best part of the song (where Harris finishes the guitar solo on the bass). I didn’t find the Opeth cover to be as rapturous as some others felt it was, but it was very well done and nets an easy win here. Winner: Opeth

I absolutely love Iced Earth’s cover of Transylvania. It’s better than the original. It’s beefed up and fits in great on Horror Show. That said, I’m throwing a pity vote to DJ Yahel, who actually made a really creative cover of the song (and Tammy has a beautiful voice).

Zwan took The Number Of The Beast into a completely new direction. It’s entirely acoustic and feels lazy and bored — yet somehow to me, that’s almost more evil than the original. Opeth’s cover is solid but I’m not a big fan of Mikael’s voice on it.

Honestly this was probably the best round yet. I enjoyed every cover, to a certain extent.

Mikael’s performance on Remember Tomorrow is the best vocal recording of the song.

Mikael’s performance on Remember Tomorrow is the best vocal recording of the song.
Eh. That fake vibrato effect on his voice and the slightly rushed tempo aren’t pluses. He sounds pretty good, but not great, IMO.

The Number of the Beast cover has more impact when shown in the context of the movie. There is nothing happy about this or the movie, Spun.

The Number of the Beast shouldn't sound happy, yet this cover does. If he made it sound evil, that'd be something else...

Funny because I love the satire of Maiden's major key masterpiece.

Zwan utilizes a straight sad-ballad acoustic minor key arrangment. And it works for me, I always liked this cover very much. I'll give it edge over Opeth because of the originality.

The DJ thing does sound rather good, video and the "metalhead" in it are the worse thing about the whole experience, then again I like electronic music / trance and it's nothing special in that context. Iced Earth pretty much nails Transylvania.

Is Macondo's Purgatory a part of this game? I think that's the best one from the electro cover album. Outside from that one there was Aces High cover I saw ages ago on YT, like 2010 and never saw it again although I tried searching for it; riffs are 1 for 1 and spot on, vocals were OK too but it featured a heavy techno beat.

DJ Yahel ft. Tammy - Turned it off halfway. Techno covers of pop/rock/metal songs should be banned from existing.

Iced Earth - Great cover. Doesn't change much except for the classic IE riffing style, but enough to distance it from the original.

Zwan just takes the lyrics and changes everything else. OK for elevator music, I guess.

Opeth's cover is not as great as everyone makes it out to be. Vocally Mikael doesn't have Di'Anno's edge and he struggles with the high parts. Instrumentally not much is changed except for some double bass parts.

I don't think the style of the DJ Yahel version fits the story at all. The lady's voice is sexy and laidback, but this is a song about fear, isn't it?
It's been a long time since I heard Transylvania, it hasn't been on my playlist for ages, so I may misremember, but the Iced Earth version sounds quite a lot like the original. Many of you said it's heavier, no reason not to believe you.

Zwan's Number sort of strips the song from all its intriguing mystique. The gap between the music style and the story is especially apparent on the latter part of the lyrics. Minus points for the guitar being out of tune.
Opeth's version I really liked. I think it's better than the original. Paul Di'Anno's voice is perhaps more soulful, but Mikael Åkerfeldt's is techincally better.

(My terms are probably all over the place, too tired to check them up. I actually have a degree on English Lit, and I'm familiar with musical theory, yet I can't remember many of the terms anymore. :bigsmile:)

Fear is sexy.:p
You like that type of stuff, then? :bigsmile:
What I was thinking as I was listening was that it might make a mean version of Fear of the Dark, if it was sung by a female, in a sexy but seductive and fateful style. There's something exciting about the thought of it being sung by a woman, messes up the story in a fun way in my opinion. A bit like she led you to believe she was scared, but she was actually the one you should worry about in the darkness. But I don't think the laidback and safe style of DJ Jahel song fits very well.

Back