THE IRON MAIDEN COVERENDUM: Angel Stage (FINAL!)

<3 I really, really liked the Maidenfans Alexander! Vocals were great, and so were the guitars! Sounded very professional. Disbelief's version fit the story well, in my opinion, but any song would have struggled to win this one.

Primal Fear and Nocturnal Rites sounded quite smooth, but maybe Nocturnal Rites had a bit more individual version.

I hate to be contrarian here, and I kinda surprised myself with how I’m voting — I’m actually gonna go for Disbelief. The MaidenFans cover is clearly for fun and I think the guitar in it is great, but Disbelief’s wacky take on Stranger, with some serious desperation in the vocals, was a lot more fun than I anticipated and I really dug it.

Primal Fear vocalist sounds like German Ripper Owens, and I was surprised to learn that he tried to join Judas Priest at one point. Way better cover, didn’t have to get far into either song to know which way I’m voting here.

B733D617-A6A5-4CAA-BE8F-AE9644871625.png

Eliminated:
Disbelief - Stranger In A Strange Land
Nocturnal Rites - Wasted Years

Promoted:
The MaidenFans Band - Alexander The Great
Primal Fear - 2 Minutes To Midnight

Innerwish - Alexander The Great
Nominated by @MindRuler .

—Vs.—

Steve ‘n Seagulls - Aces High
Nominated by @Lamia020281 .

————————​

Solitude Aeturnus - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Nominated by @Forostar , @MindRuler , and Loudwire.

—Vs.—

Anaal Nathrakh - Powerslave
Nominated by @Night Prowler .

The Innerwish cover is faithful but uninspiring. The musical sections are nice, but the vocals are a bit off. The Steve ‘n Seagulls cover is a fun bluegrass(?) transformation, and works best on the chorus, but loses a lot of the song’s punch. This is a close one, but the patriotism of @MindRuler ’s Greeks singing “Alexander The Great” edges out the competition here. Sorry, @Lamia020281. Winner: Innerwish

The Solitude Aeturnus cover is faithful and well done. The Anaal Nathrakh cover is hilariously awful through most of its runtime, though the interlude and first part of the solo are actually great, and I did appreciate how they fully transformed the song into a completely different style without losing its identity. Unfortunately, they transformed it into an incredibly shitty style. Sorry, @Night Prowler, but this one goes to the doom patrol. Winner: Solitude Aeturnus

Time to make the neighbours happy by listening to heavy metal at 8 AM Sunday morning! :) My upstairs neighbours will be especially happy about this pleasant wake-up, as they made a lot of noise and fought for half the night, first the sound they made was integrated into my dreams, and then I woke up at 1.30 AM. (Did get back to sleep later on.)

Innerwish had a nice, working version, so might well have voted for that, but it was against my own nomination. Steve 'n' Seagulls did a really good version that fits the music, although maybe not the subject of the song that much.

The Solitude Aeternus version is smooth and professional, but I was thinking is it perhaps a bit too smooth, considering the subject of the song? The vocals did get more rough near the end though. Anaal Nakhrath's version fit the original song and its subject quite well in my opinion, and I liked the vocals in the chorus, but the vocals at the end were a bit comical. :)

Innerwish was a lot more enjoyable despite being less creative than Steve’n.

I genuinely didn’t expect anything good from a band called Anaal Nathrakh, but holy shit that’s hands down the best submission of the whole game thus far. @Night Prowler i loved the hell out of that. I had far higher hopes for Solitude Aeturnus. Ended up just being... fine. I’m gonna be very sad if anti-extreme metal bias crushes that Powerslave cover this round. :S

I’m gonna be very sad if anti-extreme metal bias crushes that Powerslave cover this round. :S
Is it fair to call it bias if you listen with an open mind and still think that it sucks?

The MaidenFans Band did a good job for Alexander The Great. Best cover of it, for sure. It gets my vote (or not, because I'm late, but w/e), because Disbelief has shit drum sound, shit guitar sound and shit vocals. Good idea though.

Primal Fear's cover brings nothing new at all. It's decent, but still... Same can be said for Nocturnal Rites, except it has bad vocals.

Innerwish is just a rehash with shit vocals. Steve 'N' Seagulls cover is awesome, love genre bending covers like this. You should've had this one in the game too:

Solitude Aeturnus cover is cool, but brings nothing new. Anaal Nathrakh's cover is genius, as is the person who nominated it :cool: Retains the riffs and melodies but in a totally original package. Totally sounds like an original Anaal Nathrakh song. Y'all will see this once their album I nominated for G-MAC appears in that game.

Anaal Nathrakh's cover is genius, as is the person who nominated it :cool:
I swear every time I’ve looked over the submissions and seen it I’ve been like, “What a Night Prowler pick,” and rolled my eyes. Now I understand. The enlightenment has come. Truly we are not worthy to walk on the same plane, Game Master. :notworthy:

Votes for this round are very hypocritical:

Inner Wish sound fine, but offer nothing new beyond some double bass kicks. Steve N Seagulls are fun as hell and I dig the folk rendition.

Conversely, Solitude offer nothing new, but by Dio that cover is at least better than the unrecognisable chaos of Anaal.

What kind of pretentious arseholes cover Alexander? :innocent: This cover tries a little too hard to be a soundalike. Steve ‘n Seagulls definitely put their own twist on Aces.

Solitude Aeturnus do a nice and slightly more gritty sounding job of Hallowed, a cover of a cover.....
I think it would have taken me ages to recognise Powerslave if I'd just heard that with no introduction. Bloody hell, that was certainly a different take on it. I'm okay with Anaal Nathrakh, but I definitely preferred their rival more.

Back